PDA

View Full Version : Why in the mornings ?

gauss101
22-10-13, 11:47
Hello.
I hope you're all feeling fit and well. I've not been on the site for a number of years and thought I'd got things under control. Apparently, not. In the last couple of years things have been difficult and a lot has happened. Lost my parents, marriage broke down, although not because of any anxiety issues, just drifted apart. In reality, stuff that happens to everyone at one time or another. Oh, and I teach for a living, so there's pressure there continuously. Although, I do love my job.
Anyway, one day I got up to teach for the day and just couldn't do it. Panic set in and I had to cancel. I took some time off but, stupidly, worked from home, so didn't really rest, as I thought that the last couple of years caught up with me.
In the beginning of the new academic year, I went back to work and completed about 7 days then I had continuous panic attacks. So, I'm off again and this time resting and seeing a therapist to find the cause to all this stuff. So far we've come to the conclusion that I've given out a lot of support to others, family, friends, students, but not been looking after myself.
All this I understand but why does the first hour of the day seem so hard? It's as if everything kicks in, fear, anticipation and fear of another panic attack. When I open my eyes, I feel ok, then it drops, slowly, like a lead weight. If it wasn't for this I'm sure I'd be fine.
Sorry to ramble but I wondered if anyone else has this and if so, how do they get over it.
Many thanks. ;o)))

ankietyjoe
22-10-13, 16:19
Hormone levels are different when you wake up in the morning, which can lead to excessive feelings of anxiety.

I just give myself 10 minutes and let it pass if it's bad in the morning.

Annie0904
22-10-13, 16:41
I really don't like mornings, my anxiety is always worse first thing but I overcome it by getting out of bed as soon as I wake, make myself some breakfast and a cup of tea then showering and getting dressed. I try to get out for a little walk most mornings and by doing this the morning anxiety has improved.

BobbyDog
22-10-13, 17:35
Blood sugar levels drop during the night when we are asleep, a little toast or something else would probably bring them back to a normal level. This can increase anxiety symptoms first thing in the morning.

Christopher C
23-10-13, 02:33
My anxiety is always worst when I first wake up. Part of it is physical. Your body releases cortisol upon waking to kick start your system. Unfortunately for some people like us this induces anxiety. Also I've discovered I do a lot of negative " what if" thinking when I wake.

TomO
23-10-13, 14:05
Just wanted to add my two cents in that I know exactly what you're talking about - wake up and for a split second everything seems fine - no anxiety. Then it hits as bad as it gets all day.

I found that it was just as long as there were latent things causing the anxiety - sometimes quite hidden and long term. When I dealt with those it certainly got much much better. I also had to keep telling myself that it had happened before and would be gone after breakfast/shower etc. That way I had something positive to look forward to ;)

Tufty
23-10-13, 15:19
It's has been researched and allegedly our cortisol levels peak about 30 minutes after we wake in the morning, to prepare us for any stress and get us motivated to get up and going. Cortisol levels are lowest between 12 and 4 am, it's just the way us humans have evolved. Unfortunately for many of us this high level of cortisol causes feelings of anxiety and is a natural response to the high levels of cortisol. It has a feedback system though and the more we react, by thinking about anxiety, becoming tense, panicking etc. the more cortisol we will produce and the longer this morning anxiety will last.

10 years ago I was having a bad time with anxiety and had other health problems too and was put on Dexamethasone (a steroid) - my morning anxiety decreased significantly within weeks. I now know that steroids inhibit the release of cortisol so my reaction makes perfect sense but Drs failed to recognise the connection and said it was just coincidence. Sadly the steroids probably slowed me down too much and I became very depressed, I recommenced antidepressants and didn't have any side effects possibly because my natural cortisol level was being lowered. Steroids are potent drugs but I do wonder if they will be utilised by the medical profession to help with anxiety in the future.

I only advice I can give you gauss is to accept that it is a normal response, it will pass, accept it and float with it. Your therapist sounds good, it's quite common for anxiety sufferers to be the strong, caring, responsible type. Try to get up and take a walk as soon as you wake up like Annie suggested, it will help burn off the adrenaline and cortisol, you're not running away from the panic doing this, you're training your body that it's OK to feel anxiety and you will carry on regardless.

Good luck
Sam

gauss101
24-10-13, 13:04
Thanks so much, everybody. It seems I just need to dig a little deeper, in the mornings, but knowing that others feel it as well helps. Sorry, that sounds a little perverse.
The research seems very accurate and the "what if" syndrome is bang on. THAT seems to be the key. Somebody once said that people like us see colours brighter than anyone else but darkness blacker than anyone else. That certainly seems true.
I'll try switching my morning regime and eat first thing and then a short walk, before I start the day.
Thanks again and I hope that you all are doing well yourselves.

Terry.;o))))