PDA

View Full Version : Can't eat or drink :(

Hannahscared
22-10-13, 14:56
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing ok.
I really need some help here.. So scared.

This all flared up out of the blue..
I got a really full feeling in my stomach like i had eaten loads, but I hadn't even eaten much at all.

For the past 2 weeks I have had this feeling like there is a rock in my stomach and gets so much worse after just one bite of food or sip of water.

Is this all in my head and down to anxiety? Has anyone experienced it? Please help me..

ankietyjoe
22-10-13, 16:30
Reflux can feel like this, as well as nauseous, gassy, bloated and a number of other things.

Even without that anxiety can cause your digestive system to play up.

Annie0904
22-10-13, 16:38
Anxiety can cause that feeling. Stress puts a lot of pressure on your digestive system.

Hannahscared
23-10-13, 14:06
Thank you..

Does no one else get this?

NE21 worrier
24-10-13, 23:07
Hello Hannah,

Oh yes! When I'm feeling really anxious, the very first thing that goes wrong is my digestive system. As Annie says, anxiety puts a lot of stress on the stomach/guts and studies have suggested it is your 'second brain' in the way that it can be affected by emotions.

Also, any nausea/diarrhoea is actually a logical outcome as, at moments of peak anxiety, the body is attempting to shed itself excess weight to prepare itself for a flight response (in fight-flight scenario).

It's really tough, I know - and I so wish there was an alternative easy get-out - but the only way to overcome anxiety is to accept there will be difficult moments. Eating is important, though, so even you can manage something soft like bananas or yoghurts or even soup, they will keep you going. Another tip someone told on me: suck Polo mints if you can to take away any nauseous taste.

Hope (some of) this helps,
Peter:)

Granny Primark
25-10-13, 02:25
I went my docs yesterday cus of eating probs. I cant be in the same room when anyones eating. Icant even watch food adverts or cookery programms. Ive been given anti vomit tabs, tabs for my tummy cus its so sore and hes going send me for anorexia counselling. I was petrified this new doc was going give me a big telling off. But he was so kind and caring.
Pse go see your doc. My hubbys been crying cus of my weight loss.

Annie0904
25-10-13, 11:15
I have experienced it and hardly ate for a few months. Like Granny I couldn't even watch anyone else eating, not even on tv. ate little amounts often, it would take most of the day to eat a rich tea biscuit. My appetite came back as my anxiety got under control.