PDA

View Full Version : Possible PCOS/Fibroids?

Rosie2
22-10-13, 15:22
Hi everyone! So I have to go for an ultrasound to check for cysts or fibroids - my GP referred me since I have super irregular periods - as in, every week or 2 :( which really sucks. That's my only symptom really, I checked the PCOS symptoms like extra body hair ect and I don't really have any, except weight gain (although I think that might be more due to the fact this year I've been a little generous on portion sizes) :unsure::doh:

I haven't looked up fibroids becuase IMO that name sounds scary and I don't want to scare myself anymore.. haha

I was just wondering if anyone else had too-often periods/PCOS/Fibroids and what their symptoms/treatment was/is?

My GP also says if nothing comes off the ultrasound they might have to use an internal camera :scared15: which is not the best test I've ever had done lol.

Thank you! :hugs:

nomorepanic
22-10-13, 15:26
How old are you can I ask?

Rosie2
22-10-13, 15:30
How old are you can I ask?

I am 19 :)

anxietygal
25-10-13, 11:10
I have PCOS and sometimes have frequent periods or ones that just don't end. To be diagnosed you need to have two of three conditions 1) irregular periods, 2) evidence of excess androgens (weight gain, oily skin/acne, hirsutism, etc) and 3) polycystic ovaries. Based on your post, it sounds like you have the first and the ultrasound will determine if you have the third. The standard treatment is birth control to help get your hormones under control. For me, I go from constant periods to none at all so I have also used metformin and progesterone pills. PCOS can be a pain (acne & anemia here) but not a daily issue - once you stop the constant periods.

As for fibroids, they're a growth in your endometrial lining, but not cancer! They are removed if they're causing problems like excess bleeding or pain. I don't know a whole lot else because I haven't had them. But I do know they are very common, not harmful and treatable.

I hope this helps. I know going through medical tests is stressful, but it will help you get the right treatment.

debs71
25-10-13, 13:27
Earlier this year, I was having similar problems, Rosie2. Irregular periods and bleeding between. I also had a scan which showed a small fibroid and a small polyp....BUT (and I think this is quite important) I am 42 years old hun, so these problems are kind of to be expected.

The one thing you have is your youth, and I think that firstly is a big positive.

The other thing they told me is that I had cysts on my ovaries. When I eventually saw a consultant gynaecologist, he took a history and basically told me that I DO have polycystic ovaries, however I DO NOT have PCOS which is the full 'syndrome', and apparently there is a difference.

As anxietygal mentioned, you have to exhibit a number of symptoms to be diagnosed with the full PCOS, and in my case (and I am wondering if possibly in your too), I did not. Like you, I had some weight gain (but I put that down to my age and stopping nursing...I was on my feet all day then) but I was not overweight, had no excess hair, no heavy periods, etc. All I had was irregularity and intermittent bleeds. So I have what they call 'features' of PCOS but just cystic ovaries, nothing more.

To cut an even longer story short, in the end I had the polyp removed under local, and there was NO SIGN of any fibroid when they looked inside my womb during the surgery (big relief)

As anxietygal said, fibroids are not a worry. My Mum had huge fibroids, and they are not sinister, just excess growths of tissue. Polyps are also in the vast majority of cases not sinister, and easily removed. My consultant told me in fact that many women actually walk around with fibroids without even knowing they have them as they can be asymptomatic, go on and bear children with them there, and the only problem they are is if they ARE symptomatic and causing big issues.

Incidentally, don't worry at all about the internal camera they mentioned. I have a feeling they may be meaning a trans-vaginal scan. This is a little probe (looks like a plastic stick, lol) that they just insert at the opening of the vagina and it gives a good picture of your entire womb and ovaries. It is not literally a camera and all accessories up inside you, lol. I have had this done twice, and it is a piece of cake.

Try not to worry too much. I am sure things will work out fine in the end for you.xx:hugs:

Rosie2
25-10-13, 22:35
I have PCOS and sometimes have frequent periods or ones that just don't end. To be diagnosed you need to have two of three conditions 1) irregular periods, 2) evidence of excess androgens (weight gain, oily skin/acne, hirsutism, etc) and 3) polycystic ovaries. Based on your post, it sounds like you have the first and the ultrasound will determine if you have the third. The standard treatment is birth control to help get your hormones under control. For me, I go from constant periods to none at all so I have also used metformin and progesterone pills. PCOS can be a pain (acne & anemia here) but not a daily issue - once you stop the constant periods.

As for fibroids, they're a growth in your endometrial lining, but not cancer! They are removed if they're causing problems like excess bleeding or pain. I don't know a whole lot else because I haven't had them. But I do know they are very common, not harmful and treatable.

I hope this helps. I know going through medical tests is stressful, but it will help you get the right treatment.

I had no idea that you had to have other symptoms to be diagnosed with PCOS, I thought that just having the cysts would class you as having PCOS.. and same with anemia - and I am not a fan of those iron tablets, lol!

Thank you :hugs:

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

Earlier this year, I was having similar problems, Rosie2. Irregular periods and bleeding between. I also had a scan which showed a small fibroid and a small polyp....BUT (and I think this is quite important) I am 42 years old hun, so these problems are kind of to be expected.

The one thing you have is your youth, and I think that firstly is a big positive.

The other thing they told me is that I had cysts on my ovaries. When I eventually saw a consultant gynaecologist, he took a history and basically told me that I DO have polycystic ovaries, however I DO NOT have PCOS which is the full 'syndrome', and apparently there is a difference.

As anxietygal mentioned, you have to exhibit a number of symptoms to be diagnosed with the full PCOS, and in my case (and I am wondering if possibly in your too), I did not. Like you, I had some weight gain (but I put that down to my age and stopping nursing...I was on my feet all day then) but I was not overweight, had no excess hair, no heavy periods, etc. All I had was irregularity and intermittent bleeds. So I have what they call 'features' of PCOS but just cystic ovaries, nothing more.

To cut an even longer story short, in the end I had the polyp removed under local, and there was NO SIGN of any fibroid when they looked inside my womb during the surgery (big relief)

As anxietygal said, fibroids are not a worry. My Mum had huge fibroids, and they are not sinister, just excess growths of tissue. Polyps are also in the vast majority of cases not sinister, and easily removed. My consultant told me in fact that many women actually walk around with fibroids without even knowing they have them as they can be asymptomatic, go on and bear children with them there, and the only problem they are is if they ARE symptomatic and causing big issues.

Incidentally, don't worry at all about the internal camera they mentioned. I have a feeling they may be meaning a trans-vaginal scan. This is a little probe (looks like a plastic stick, lol) that they just insert at the opening of the vagina and it gives a good picture of your entire womb and ovaries. It is not literally a camera and all accessories up inside you, lol. I have had this done twice, and it is a piece of cake.

Try not to worry too much. I am sure things will work out fine in the end for you.xx:hugs:

That's really interesting - I actually didn't realise there was a difference, I wish I asked my GP more questions now but I was kind of freaking out so I left as soon as I could haha. I'm glad that you got your problems sorted out and it wasn't anything dodgey! :)

And phew :noangel: I was really not looking forward to that camera! Lol, I can't wait to just get the tests done and find out what it is - if there isn't anything to worry about I might just go on the pill to even things out, but in the back of my head I'm a bit worried that it might affect my fertility since I have ALWAYS wanted children; hopefully in the next year or 2. :unsure:

Suppose it isn't worth thinking the worst until I've been - thank you for your info! :hugs: xxx