PDA

View Full Version : sleeping

daftun
08-07-04, 15:06
:( hi everyone i'm new here ive had these dreaded panic attacks on and off for 21 years more so lately as my dad died last year we were very close and life has just been stressful. a couple of weeks ago i had a really bad attack , i had just eaten my dinner when i had a really funny feeling in my chest it felt like it went all hot and then tight, hubby phoned the gp as it then turned into a panic attack because i thought i was having a heart attack. I went along to the emergency doctor just to put my mind at ease and was even worse as he then made me chew an asprin and go to hospital for an ecg omg i was terrified. I was going to die!. Got to the hospital had 2 ecg all was fine was proberly indegestion and panic but no one laughed at me. I still get the pains in my chest but i have to tell myself i'm ok. I wonder if any one eles gets this symptom i have bad nights sometimes i can go to sleep and then i wake up gasping for breath thinking i'm going to die and then i'm ok and it doesnt feel real somehow. Also if i'm due on my period or tired i sometimes hullusinate does anyone eles ever have or had this i have had this about 15 years as well i can go weeks then it wil happen a lot, any advice appreciated.

sal
08-07-04, 16:00
Hi

Sorry to hear you arent feel too good at the moment. When i first started suffering over 6 years ago i used to wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath and though i was dying, it is a really scary feeling, as you do feel like you are dying. I still sometime wake up like that but not as often as before, not really sure it is because i am a lot better or due to the fact i need to have wine to get to sleep in the first place. So it is a viscious circle. The chest pains are really common with anxiety and i suppose all of us at times have thought we were going to have a heart attack.

sorry about you dad, that must be really hard on you especially as you say you were really close. This situation will have contributed loads to how you feel and i know you will have heard it a thousand times before it takes time.

Are you on any medication to help you?

Pleased you have found this site as it is really good and so many people care and understand.

Let us know how you are getting on.

Love Sal xxxx

Meg
08-07-04, 16:05
Hi Della,

Your doctor did absolutely right for the after dinner panic/indigestion attack.
It never does any harm to have a recent ECG done . Now you know your heart is fine so if you get any more chest pain you will know its anxiety and not need to get yourself into a state over it .

True night panics where you wake up sweating and gasping are often subconcious emotion in origin and some counselling , hypnotherapy may help .

When your pre or on your period its is our most vulnerable time and all sorts of things happen. Halucinating is not the most usual symptom but it's not the first time I've heard of it.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

grace
08-07-04, 19:01
hi della,
i get pains in my chest, mostly at night. i have had it quite a lot lately but i have been quite stressed with in-laws staying for two weeks and my court case that just finalised today so im hoping now i can relax a bit they will go.
i've not woke up gasping for breath, but i have woke up thinking im having a heart attack.
im really sorry to hear about your dad,you must be feeling terrible about it, my dad died four years ago and i still miss him loads but it does get easier in time

xxx grace

twister
09-07-04, 21:55
I wake up gasping for breath if I am stressed out too, it is horrible but I dont think its a problem. I then feel panicky but often get back to sleep quite quickly

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

josie21
31-07-04, 21:06
i get chest pains when i have a panic attack aswel ive been getting them for two years since my daughter was 8 months old. im only 21 so it must be a normal symptom i cant be having a heart attack really. im sorry i dont know what to write! i hope this has helped you a bit anyway! you are not alone!

stimpy
01-08-04, 03:55
I get chest pains and palpitations even without the panic attack.

I hate the whole night thing.

I now go to bed with a light and the radio on, just to keep my brain busy until I fall asleep.
I find waking up in the dark, feeling alone and scared really horrid.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'