PDA

View Full Version : Help with citalopram

piglits pal
01-11-06, 08:06
About 3 months ago my GP switched me from paroxetine 40mg to citalopram 40mg because we thought the anxiety was not being controlled as well as it had been. Since starting citalopram I've just been having one horrible day after another. 2 weeks ago the GP upped to doseage to 60mg - max dose. I still feel terrible and scared in the mornings and the anxiety exists to some extent right through to the evening.

Is it too soon to expect some kind of benefit yet or should I go back and ask to switch back to paroxetine.

Getting through the mornings is horrible at the moment.

trac67
01-11-06, 09:25
Hi,

I am on citalopram, and I felt worse for about the first month, once they had kicked in I started to feel a lot better, they do say it can take up to 6 weeks to feel the full benefits of meds, and a lot of them do increase the anxiety before they decrease it.

Stick with them for a while longer and you should start to feel a difference soon.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

yorkylover
01-11-06, 15:11
Hi Im on citalopram,I had awful side affects for two weeks and then they settled down.I was on another sort which didnt agree with me and asked to go back on my original one.If your not happy go back even for peace of mind.
Take care

Ellen XX

honeybee3939
01-11-06, 17:29
Hi,

Im on Citalopram too, First week was terrible, second week wasnt too bad, took around 4 weeks before i started to feel the benefits.

Love

Andrea
xxx

sherri32
02-11-06, 14:26
i just started citalopram on tuesday, have been feeling sick and unable to sleep or eat, has any1 else had these experiences?
i knw it's only been 3 days but the nauseau is terrible!![Ugh]
sherri

samc100
02-11-06, 14:56
Oh yes - the tummy hassle is not fun. Took me about a month to get over it. It will gradually ease.

devon_guy
05-11-06, 20:23
When I was on them last year I put on loads of weight which I can't shift. Has anyone else had weight gain while on Citalopram?

What's for you won't go by you

Millicent
02-10-07, 22:27
I have just been taken off Citalopram by my Doctor because to be honest they made me feel very bad. I was sweating profusly and the agitation was driving me crazy.I also felt completley distanced from what was going on around me
I am now back onto Prozac which suits me alot better
I know we are all different but Citalopram is certainly not the med for me
Millicent

Wilburis
03-10-07, 10:56
Hi

Im on Escitalopram, its now day 12 and Ive having daily panic attacks and feeling really anxious and dizzy all the time.

I wondered, what sort of symptoms are people getting when they start these meds? And, how long do they last for?

Liz xx

Dying_Swan
03-10-07, 21:02
Piglit's Pal.

I'd be inclined to think that if they haven't helped you in 3 months, they aren't going to. I could be wrong here, but would suggest you go back to your GP and discuss different meds. Lots of people get on well with Citalopram, and lots don't.

Good luck xx

Dying_Swan
03-10-07, 21:03
Oh lol that was a really old thread. Oh well :blush:

What kind of side effects? I had: insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea..that was about it I think, and it settled relatively quickly xx