PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin Side Effect- Hair Loss

Kat1980
22-10-13, 19:18
I've suffered from generalised anxiety for years and I've been on pregabalin 300 - 450mg for the past 9 months. The anxiety wise it's been a godsend. I just wondered if anyone else has had significant hair loss with it. Does this go away or is it permanent? It's worse than a cat shedding it's winter coat :ohmy:. It's really breakable and not in very good condition I'm just hoping this is reversible.

I have come off of it today because of this. I'm used to changing meds and am quite frustrated as citalopram has left me lactose intolerant so I'm now vegan as I don't eat meat. I don't want to be left with very thin hair as well just because of medication that's supposed to help me feel better.

SarahH
22-10-13, 19:21
No hair loss for me. Sorry you have experienced it. Is it so bad that you have to stop the meds altogether??

shedrain
22-10-13, 19:36
None here either!

Just a thought - the experience that I've had in life suggests to me that a vegan diet isn't helping the situation by being able to provide you with the right, easily absorbably nutrients to prevent degeneration... but only my experience and definitely my humble opinion.

Note to self: avoid mentioning politics, religion and food.

Emphyrio
22-10-13, 20:11
Citalopram can't trigger permanent lactose intolerance can it? I know that antidepressants can cause IBS-like symptoms whilst on them, and for a while afterwards, but its the first time I've heard they can give you permanent food intolerances/allergies.

Kat1980
22-10-13, 20:39
Yeah it can, I know I'm not the only one as I've been talking to other people who've had the same experience with citalopram and permanent lactose intolerance. The doctor said it's because naturally as you get older your stomach gradually stops producing lactase to break lactose down - citalopram does the same thing rather unnaturally and very quickly. I personally think the people who are stuck with it must have a predisposition to lactose intolerance though.

But I've adjusted well enough thanks to health food shops, frequenting all supermarkets, making lots of things from scratch and I've had all the blood tests etc to make sure I'm getting what I need as I was worried about that too. I love meat but it doesn't love me very much, it would make my life so much easier if I could have it. It's taught me I can cook when I want to though! The hair loss started before I cut meat out which is why I thought it was medication related.