PDA

View Full Version : Ahh Oral C

Hypo
23-10-13, 10:13
I just got back from my dentist appointment.

He said everything was fine but then said I had an ulcer and he poked it with his stick thing.

Told me it was nothing to worry about, just an ulcer.

I got home and looked in the mirror and I can't see the ulcer anywhere :blush: All I could see in that area was some white-ish patches, NOT like OC, but just variations of the skin I guess, there is one on my gum too. Been there for at least a year. It's like a diagonal white thing but hasn't changed for 1-2 years.

So now I am worried that he was actually pointing out the white bit on my gum, thought it was an ulcer but it's actually a cancer patch :(

I can't really go back, I keep seeing him all the time as it is. I have been three times in 2 weeks for cancer fears, but there is no ulcer :(

HoneyLove
23-10-13, 10:20
Hypo, you need to trust your dentist, they know when something doesn't look right in your mouth. Think of all the education he's had, the amount of times you've seen him lately and the amount of mouths he looks into every day!

What has you so worried about oral cancer? Do you know what started this fear for you? What was happening in your life when the HA started?

Hypo
23-10-13, 11:03
I just can't find the ulcer he pointed out. What if he thought it was an ulcer but it was oral C?

I am 32 and an ex smoker, quit 2 years ago.

It started when my ex husband, father of three of my children got diagnosed with cancer (not oral) and that set me off.

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

OMG I have a hole in my lower gum.

HoneyLove
23-10-13, 11:04
Your dentist is an expert, he's trained to be able to diagnose these things. If he thought there was a suspicion of cancer he'd have looked into it. You need to trust that.

I'm sorry to hear about your ex, that must have been difficult for you :( Have you ever gotten any help to deal with how his cancer diagnosis has affected you?

Fishmanpa
23-10-13, 13:09
I just got back from my dentist appointment.

He said everything was fine but then said I had an ulcer and he poked it with his stick thing.

Told me it was nothing to worry about, just an ulcer.

I got home and looked in the mirror and I can't see the ulcer anywhere :blush: All I could see in that area was some white-ish patches, NOT like OC, but just variations of the skin I guess, there is one on my gum too. Been there for at least a year. It's like a diagonal white thing but hasn't changed for 1-2 years.

So now I am worried that he was actually pointing out the white bit on my gum, thought it was an ulcer but it's actually a cancer patch :(

I can't really go back, I keep seeing him all the time as it is. I have been three times in 2 weeks for cancer fears, but there is no ulcer :(

I'm an oral cancer survivor. I'm part of an oral cancer forum and having had it, I know quite a bit about it.

Your dentist went to school for 8+ years and has been in more mouths than you can imagine. He would know and recognize a lesion or area that looked suspicious. In the vast majority of cases, oral cancer doesn't even show itself until it's far along and advanced and it would be very recognizable.

Just like on our bodies, there are spots in our mouths as well, like an inside freckle if you will. They are harmless. Look at the bold text in your quoted post.

Good Luck!

Tilly Flop
23-10-13, 13:26
I'm having a bit of a stress about this at the moment too.
I had a sore throat / infection about three months ago, had antibiotics etc but they didn't clear it up totally and I went back to the Drs, who examined my throat and said it was still a tiny bit inflamed but best to leave it to clear on its own, which it did and had no problems for weeks. Fast forward to now and the other day my throat felt a bit dry, and I also had a crappy headache so started with the worrying again. I now have a feeling like a lump or pressure in my throat on one side. My throat isn't red or inflamed at all but on one side there is a kind of crater in my tonsil, like a fold of skin or something, is that normal do you think? I guess if it wasn't the Dr would have picked up on it wouldn't he?

Hypo
23-10-13, 13:36
There is a HOLE in my gum.

I could fit a pin in it :(

It's really odd.

I can't go back, I want to. I only live next door to the dentist.

WTF is a hole doing in my gum? my mum noticed it too. So did my husband. I am scared.

My son has an appointment with him tomorrow, wonder if he will look at it for me then.

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

It's right at the bottom.

HoneyLove
23-10-13, 13:39
I thought you said he'd already looked at it for you, several times?

Hypo
23-10-13, 13:43
Not the hole.

I only just noticed that.

HoneyLove
23-10-13, 13:50
But you know looking into your mouth he'd have looked at everything? He's trained to look for signs of problems. You need to ask yourself why you cannot trust that.

I really think, and deep down you know it too, that it's your anxiety levels you need to work on here. And very possibly getting some help for dealing with the effect your ex husbands ordeal had on you.

Wishing you all the best, I hope that you feel better soon x

Hypo
23-10-13, 15:53
Honey, I went for my tonsil problem at his request so he didn't really check my entire mouth.

He had a very quick glance but didn't examine that area.

The hole is very strange, it is like someone has stuck and wiggled a pin in it as it is perfectly round.

I am getting CBT and counselling.

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

It might be something google could help me with, or it might just say it is cancer.

So I don't dare search.

Fishmanpa
23-10-13, 16:04
This sounds like a periodontal issue and totally unrelated to cancer of any kind. I would go back to your dentist if this is a concern.

Good Luck.

Hypo
23-10-13, 16:09
I don't have gum disease if that is what you mean?

Does cancer not come up as a hole?

My dentist might kick me out if I go back. I might explain to him how scared I am tomorrow when I take my son in (he knows I suffer with HA anyway) he might look then or he might not, but worth asking I guess.

emlica
23-10-13, 16:13
How you do know you don't have gum disease? Loads of people have gum disease without knowing it. But actually 'periodontal' doesn't necessarily just mean your gums, just means some issue with something related to your teeth. Ask your dentist to have a look. I googled for you and nothing came up saying cancer; all just stuff to do tooth infections and stuff. I've not heard of oral cancer starting with a 'hole' - isn't that pretty much the opposite of what most cancers start as...??

Hypo
23-10-13, 16:27
I have had gum disease loads in the past but I was told they were healthy at my last check but who knows.

The hole is right at the bottom of my gum, well away from the teeth.

I don't know if that is the opposite of how cancers start but I am very glad to hear two people say it sounds nothing like it :)

I just don't know how to get out of this anxiety cycle anymore :(

Fishmanpa
23-10-13, 16:49
I'll say this and take my leave of the thread. I've had oral cancer and I know many who have had it as well.

Oral cancer doesn't just "appear" one day and I've never heard of it coming up as a hole in a gum. When it is diagnosed (and the ONLY way is through biopsy of an affected area, lesion or lymph node), it's typically far along and would be VERY noticeable to a trained professional like a dentist.

Obviously you're very concerned. None of us are doctors or dentists and no one here can set your mind at ease. Go see your dentist and best wishes concerning your anxiety issues.

Positive thoughts and prayers

Tilly Flop
23-10-13, 17:22
Could the 'hole' not be the ulcer the dentist said was nothing to worry about?

Hypo
23-10-13, 18:27
Thank you, Fishy.

I wondered that too, Tilly. I have had tons of ulcers and this looks nothing like one, it is actually a hole and food keeps getting stuck in it.

It looks like I have had a piercing there. Very strange.

Hoping I wake up and its gone.

The way I feel today death might be a good thing for me anyway. If it wasn't for my kids I wouldn't care, my life isn't exactly a barrel of fun these days. I only want to keep alive for my kids anyway.

Hypo
24-10-13, 18:12
Well, I went to the dentist with my son and he had a quick look.

He didn't see a hole, said it was just the shape of my mouth, it clearly is a hole and he looked in the wrong place. I know that I have two dent bits that go in but there is a hole in the dent which is hard to see.

Oh well, he said that he is very experienced with cancer and would spot any signs of oral cancer before even I was likely to notice. He said I was fine.

I went for a clean four weeks ago, I went yesterday over my tonsils and he had a quick look in that area and today he had a quick look again.

I guess I have to trust him.

Fishmanpa
24-10-13, 18:36
He didn't see a hole, said it was just the shape of my mouth...he said that he is very experienced with cancer and would spot any signs of oral cancer before even I was likely to notice. He said I was fine.
I guess I have to trust him.

Yes you do! ;)