PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Jeo
23-10-13, 11:54
Looonng story short, my Neighbor is asking us to pay the dog warden fees after we thought a dog had escaped and gotten into her garden. Turns out it was her dog. She had tried to warn us with a note that I didn't see.

We gave her £30 as it was the originally price but it shot up to £80 because the warden had to bring him back, otherwise they'd find him a new home the next day. Which I call BS on as dogs are meant to stay for 7 days by law before being found a new home.

Really she should pay the extra £50 because she could have collected him the day after.

I'm actually worrying about saying to her "No sorry" so much so it's giving me panic attacks.

Anyone have any advice how to tactfully say we won't pay? I don't want an enemy for a neighbor.

Edie
23-10-13, 14:21
I would call the dog warden and find out what the fee really was and what the normal procedure is for paying them. It might give you confidence to decline to pay if you have some "official procedure" to back yourself up. It's understandable your neighbour is upset about the bill, but it was an honest mistake on your part and you shouldn't be the one paying it either. It's the dog warden that's made the mistake here, by seizing the dog without checking first.

Speranza
23-10-13, 14:43
Yes, you could then talk to her and say, "I'm really sorry this has happened - I've spoken to the Dog Warden, and..."

People are often very defensive when they know they are in the wrong. You could even make a cake or something as a gesture of 'ongping frinedship'. Or not. YOU know the lady! ;)