PDA

View Full Version : I need to take a step back and get things into perspective

Liviguy
23-10-13, 16:17
So after years and years of suffering (from many fatal diseases, which after 18 years haven't killed me off yet) I ended up in A&E last week due to a pain in my chest and my left side being tingly and a burning sensation in my left hand.

They performed a blood sugar level test which came back slightly high, but nothing to worry about, an ECG which came back completely normal, blood tests which also came back completely normal, and various strength tests which again, all normal.

Happy days, my mind was now completely rested with the 'I have a dodgy heart' worry I had been thinking of. They could not explain the numbness, tingling and pain in the left arm and hand but confirmed it was nothing sinister.

Then they performed some sort of eye test and it started to go downhill from there :weep: The doctor in A&E checked and then went off to see a senior for his opinion. Both of them noticed that when I moved my eyes to the far side, there was a 'flick' that they noticed. They said it could be down simply to tiredness, however then started asking me about blurred vision, dizziness and ringing in the ears. At that time I began to get worked up. I was petrified that I was about to find out I had a brain tumour or something.

He mentioned that he thinks I may have Menairs (sp) disease. At that point I just went numb and all I heard after that was blah blah blah, however I did hear him say that there was nothing they could really do for it and that they would write to my GP and if I hadn't heard anything within 2-3 weeks I should call them up.

I refuse to google search it as Dr Google is NOT my friend and now I anxiously await my Doc getting in touch.

cpe1978
23-10-13, 16:41
I think you are referring to Menieres disease. I have tinnitus and so have occasionally frequented forums on the subject and Menieres is a condition with which tinnitus is often associated.

I dont know much about it, but believe that it is a disease of the inner ear that can affect balance etc. but I have never heard of anyone having a problem like you identify. Either way it isnt life threatening, is potentially an inconvenience, but critically is also something you probably do not have.

Bear in mind people in A&E are generalists in the same way a GP is, only they work in an accute setting.

I would just book a doctors appointment, explain what was said and get their opinion. If they agree that it is potential then I guess they may refer you to an ENT.

HoneyLove
23-10-13, 17:17
Ménière's disease is a problem with the inner ear that usually involves changes in hearing (often temporary), tinnitus (usually a low sound), vertigo/dizziness and nystagmus which is the name for the flick in your eyes that they were looking at.

It's not fatal, but can be bothersome because of the vertigo if you get it. Usually it burns itself out after a while, but medication can help you to manage it in the meantime. It's nothing to be scared of, so do go and have a chat with your GP - don't google as no doubt it'll end up making you feel worse.

If you're not getting episodes of vertigo then I don't know how likely it is that you really have Ménière's to be honest. Your GP is the best person to talk to, they may send you to an ENT to have a closer look at the flick in your eyes and your inner ear.

The nystagmus is nothing to be worried about, it's not a sign that something is very wrong - and they're right that it could be down to your anxiety. I get a little shake in my eye when the muscles in my face are very tense, and sometimes they flick just on their own for no reason. I do have problems with my balance, so it's probably just a tired out vestibular system!

So please, try not to worry, wait to speak to your GP and know that this isn't an emergency, just something that it's better to look into x

Liviguy
23-10-13, 17:18
Thanks for your reply. Part of me wants there to be an issue rather than everything being put down to anxiety. When I move my eyes they feel weird, a bit like electric shocks through them.

From heart to eye anxiety in the space of 10 minutes.

Will it ever end.

Liviguy
24-10-13, 15:19
Ménière's disease is a problem with the inner ear that usually involves changes in hearing (often temporary), tinnitus (usually a low sound), vertigo/dizziness and nystagmus which is the name for the flick in your eyes that they were looking at.

It's not fatal, but can be bothersome because of the vertigo if you get it. Usually it burns itself out after a while, but medication can help you to manage it in the meantime. It's nothing to be scared of, so do go and have a chat with your GP - don't google as no doubt it'll end up making you feel worse.

If you're not getting episodes of vertigo then I don't know how likely it is that you really have Ménière's to be honest. Your GP is the best person to talk to, they may send you to an ENT to have a closer look at the flick in your eyes and your inner ear.

The nystagmus is nothing to be worried about, it's not a sign that something is very wrong - and they're right that it could be down to your anxiety. I get a little shake in my eye when the muscles in my face are very tense, and sometimes they flick just on their own for no reason. I do have problems with my balance, so it's probably just a tired out vestibular system!

So please, try not to worry, wait to speak to your GP and know that this isn't an emergency, just something that it's better to look into x

Thanks for your reply. I have had dizziness and balance issues for a long long time, always been put down to anxiety. Now I am getting this weird sensation behind my eyes when I look around which feels like electric shocks, but not painful ones, just a horrible weird sensation.

Watch out now for my brain tumour anxiety coming in force. I'm already feeling my anxiety level increase daily.

HoneyLove
24-10-13, 17:32
It sounds like your eyes are just a bit sensitive or tired, which is not unusual if you're having inner ear problems. It's also not unusual if you're anxious as the anxiety can cause muscle tension, even in your face & behind your eyes.

I get that electric shock feeling in my neck and head when the muscles are tense, it doesn't bother me because I know it's just tension and it's a sign that I need to relax a bit.

Do you clench your jaw or grind your teeth when you're anxious or when you're asleep at night?

Liviguy
24-10-13, 17:48
I have a habit of clenching and grinding my teeth, not all the time though. This Wierd eye thing is a new sensation which is why I'm over analysing it.

HoneyLove
24-10-13, 19:27
The clenching and grinding may very well be a factor here, it will make the muscles in your face tense, can affect eyesight, and can be a factor in balance/vestibular issues.

It's definitely a factor for me and my own balance issues, I clench and grind too especially in my sleep, and it makes my facial muscles tense and my neck & shoulder, which in turn feeds into my balance issues. I got a mouthguard from my dentist to help with it, but I've ended up clenching on that too so in need to visit her again.

It might be worth scheduling a visit to your dentist to ask if they can help you prevent the clenching. It might be very helpful for you. In the mean time you should work on trying to relax the muscles in your face with heat or self massage or stress reduction.

mummyanxious
24-10-13, 20:13
How do you find your mouth guard honeylove? The dentist suggested one to me last time I went but in not sure I fancy something in my mouth overnight?!?!

HoneyLove
24-10-13, 21:00
It took a couple of nights to get used to it mummy, but now I don't notice it at all! I remember for the first night or two I took it out half way through the night,mbut after a bit I got used to it, I just had to make myself wear it and now it's no bother at all. It really helps to relax my jaw. Do you grind your teeth too?

mummyanxious
24-10-13, 22:57
I clench my teeth. Mainly in the day I can realise I'm doing it and stop myself. But at night I think I must have it firmly clenched.