PDA

View Full Version : anxiety attacks and sleep problems

Loupylou
23-10-13, 21:02
Hello,
Five years ago I got tinnitus which made me very distressed, but through various therapies and becoming actively engaged in the process I learnt to cope. For four years I offered others advice and support. At the beginning of September an unexpected noise event re-triggered my tinnitus to a much higher level and I again reacted very badly. Only this time the reaction has led to overwhelming anxiety attacks which have moved on from the actual tinnitus to focusing on sleep - or lack of sleep. I feel overwhelmed with panic at the thought of going to bed and having another long night of sleepnesses and rising panic. At times, particularly in the night, I really do not know how I can get through the next moment I even phoned the Samaritans on Sunday night after literally not sleeping at all.

I have joined this forum to gain insights inorder to overcome this crippling feeling. I have read the introduction post which is very helpful indeed. I intend to see my GP tomorrow, and have arranged an assessment appointment for CBT on Saturday, but will investigate whether I can get CBT free through the NHS - is this likely or will there be a long waiting list?

Anyway that's my story, I look forward to sharing with others

Gillxxx
23-10-13, 22:23
Hiya!

I totally understand the tinnitus, and the problems with sleep!

My doctor has told me that tinnitus can often affect those of us with anxiety and can in itself cause anxiety. My tinnitus is often extremely loud on just the days when I'm panicking! It pounds and buzzes. Before my doctor told me this, I used to really panic. Now I just put it down to anxiety and it often disappears quite quickly. When I have a bout of tinnitus now, I say to myself, 'to hell with it', and a while later I realise I don't have it. But I know it's really hard at the time of the episodes.

As for the sleep - there must me so many of us on here that understand that horror! My husband lives abroad and I spend most nights alone. I hate going to bed. It is without doubt the worst time and definitely the most panicky for me. I DREAD it. This has been the time when I've mostly called 111 in shear terror - unable to breathe and not been able to cope. However, I have lived till each morning, and that has given me hope and the calls have become less.

I've had the most fantastic help from the NHS here. My doctor (once I fell upon the right one - not easy) has been absolutely fantastic, and even arranges for my medication to be delivered to my door without me asking - she understands. The Mental Health Team here have been extremely helpful. They've been there every second when I've needed them, and have pulled back when I've asked them to. I absolutely couldn't have asked for more and it has helped so very much. That being said, I did have to take my better days to put these into place and I paced myself. It isn't easy, of course!

I also found (as you did) the introductory here extremely useful! I'm a newbie too. I've found the information incredibly useful and so reassuring.

I've felt very reassured by at least knowing others are also going through this (though I wish they weren't). I really hope that joining helps you too!

Lots of hugs, Gill xxx

Loupylou
24-10-13, 09:44
Dear Gill,
Thank you so much for your reply, it was very reassuring. My GP is phoning this morning as there are no available appointments. I feel a lot more positive just having taken some steps to tackle the problem rather than hoping it would just go away.

gypcyg
24-10-13, 11:56
Here is a website that may help

http://www.tinnitus.org.uk/good-night-sleep-tight

simona
24-10-13, 20:42
....youre not alone with the sleep thing,a lot of us dread going to bed.Just remember you will get back to normal, blissful sleep again,and the loss wont do you any harm in the long run.Its a temporary state that you have gotten into.

Loupylou
26-10-13, 17:19
Dear Simona,
Thanks for that encouraging thought - it is helpful to know I'm not the only one. I went for a CBT assessment today and I'm gradually feeling a bit more balanced in how I'm viewing this storm that has arrived.

balhmyellow
27-10-13, 16:00
Lou,

I fully appreciate your sleep related problems. I suffer from sleep apnoea in addition to anxiety and have recently added tinnitus to the equation. Over the years I have tried numerous things in an effort to improve things - none are necessarily a 'magic bullet' but you might find some or all help somewhat.

1, make sure your bed is as comfortable as possible - if you can buy some high thread count cotton sheets/duvet covers. They don't have to be super expensive (duvet cover £40-50, sheets c£20) and they do make a difference. Feeling really comfortable is a good start.

2, I often have a fleece or super soft t-shirt that i have in bed to rest my head on. A bit like child's security blanket I suppose which may seem a bit odd being a 40 yr old man (never having used one as a child) but if it helps who cares.

3, Aromatherapy - adding a few drops of certain essential oils to your pillow (or t-shirt/fleece) can have a real calming effect. You can also use them in the bath. Try lavender oil or lemon oil for example.

4, Music - research some pieces of music that you find particularly relaxing. Use CD player, mp3, laptop. Try Mozart's Clarinet Concerto - personally I find the clarinet has a relaxing sound. You might find the process of researching/exploring music therapeutic in itself.

5, Community support - take comfort in the knowledge that there are other people out there that understand how you feel and are there to support you as much as they can. I personally found this site and the forum a massive help when I was at my worst. You can always log on and connect with someone no matter what the hour. Just knowing that I found to be a comfort.

Good luck with everything.

Simon

Loupylou
27-10-13, 17:18
Dear Simon,
Thank you for taking the time to give such a comprehensive list of helpful suggestions. Again so reassuring to know that there are others always around to share with. This whole experience has made me feel very vulnuerable and sensitive to negative things - even watching the news makes me feel unsettled - all I can say is thank goodness for Strictly come Dancing!

Today I talked with a friend who is going through Chemo for the fourth time. Some of the knowledge that I have gained from this site as well as the CBT therapist seemed to resonate with her anxieties about her situation It made me realise that everything does happen for a reaons, because without this experience I would not have been able to help her today in quite the same way.

All the best