PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop my mind

Pete_uk
24-10-13, 09:54
I can't stop my mind from worrying about a situation and what may happen because of it. I keep running through scenarios and what if's. I try to force myself to think of other things which brings some temporary relief but its always there. I sometimes wonder if I am going down with some other mental problem of some kind.

I wish I could change the situation but I can't, not without doing something nasty anyway.

I don't know what I expect anyone to say but maybe writing it down will help???

:weep:

phil6
24-10-13, 12:21
Hi Pete,
Yes I struggle with repetitive thoughts that always come when I start to feel anxious.
The only thing I will say is that with GAD, it doesn't really matter what the situation is, your mind will find something to latch onto. This is all part of anxiety. In other words when you resolve the situation, if you can, then your mind will find another thing to fix on.
You cannot stop the thoughts, so don't try... You will lose that battle. You also cannot fix the situation as normally it is associated with imagination and catastrphising.
When I feel calm, I can see these thoughts for what they are, but they always seem real when attached to anxiety.
It is all about recognising that the thoughts are part of the anxiety disorder and nothing more. Now I know how difficult it is to remember and believe this when anxious because i am struggling to do this at the moment. But if you can, then you can slowly learn to let them go and not get hooked by them.... Lots of practice and patience needed I'm afraid.
You are not your thoughts.... It's just a part of your brain that is determined to fix thinks, to find a solution.... But with anxiety this doesn't work.
If you find a better way... Let me know!!!
phil