PDA

View Full Version : Appointments - don't like them...

taffysteve
01-11-06, 17:16
Hiya everyone,

I find that at the moment, in my sensitised state, I can't bear the thought of making any appointments. Can anyone else relate to this?

If I come in to work in the day and see some appointments in my calendar, I can almost not bear it.

If I arrange for friends to come over for tea a few days in advance, it almost sends me over the edge with worry.

I think it comes from feeling and thinking "What if I have a 'moment' and can't do it. What if I have to go home from work? etc...

Does anyone else experience this fear of making appointments - or is it me?! [xx(]

***And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance... I hope you dance***

candie
01-11-06, 18:02
Hi steve,
no you're definitely not alone with this.Its not so much work appointments(cos i dont work due to the anxiety),but its every other thing i have to plan in advance.

Its the anticipatory anxiety with us,thats the thing.I try not to "plan" too many things now because that way i feel theres far too much pressure,although i understand with work you HAVE to plan things.

When i do have to be somewhere i bite the bullet and face the music,i mean what is the worst that can happen..?
I often find that when i get there,its not half as bad as i anticipated it to be.
I know its hard but when youve looked in your diary,try to distract yourself as best you can until the time for the meeting,thats the only thing i can suggest really but dont put off today what you can do tomorrow ok..?

Hope this has helped to know that youre not on your own.

Take care and keep smiling...Candie xx:D

missacorah
02-11-06, 11:24
I am getting worse with this kind of thing also. Even now if I have family coming round I am longing for the moment when they leave - not because I dont want to be near them. just so then the pressure is off me and I can lie down if I need to etc. Its horrible.

fran43
02-11-06, 13:20
Steve

I get the same issues over appointments. I have had 17 in three weeks and rather than my Jolly self I put on a front and hope that it is is over before its begun.

It does get easier over time. I can take myself to my docs and various agencies without my husband driving me everywhere.

I am always glad the appt is over but relieved. I have diff with my doc, strangers and I also loe my family to come round but cant wait until they leave (except my ten year old who cant:D.

I cant work at the moment but when I do go back I guess I will confront issues, especially as I have bee off for nearly at year.

Take care your yourself.

Love Fran XX

Fly2Freedom
03-11-06, 15:21
Hi I have missed many appointments to see my doctor or therapist due to agoraphobia.
My therapist has even been rude about this but they are supposed to understand my phobias and how hard it is for me.
So yes I can relate to this and I get very nervous in waiting rooms.

Love xFlyx

missacorah
05-11-06, 11:14
Hi Fran, nice to see you posting again. I am getting worse not better and am feeling very down about things in general at the mo. I am starting my anti depressants tomrrow even though I initially didnt want to as I said I wasnt depressed. I am now just willing to try anything.I am due an appointment for cbt or similar and am dreading it so much!