PDA

View Full Version : Getting OFF Seroxat - Prozac?

favouritecake
24-10-13, 15:08
I've been treated for anxiety on and off since I was 8 years old. (now age 30) I haven't taken anything since 2003, but was put on Seroxat about 6 months ago. I wasn't that desperate to go back on meds, but was experiencing more anxiety than I had in the past few years (hormones maybe?) so I thought a nice little anti-anxiety pill would take the 'edge' off. Seroxat was prescribed to me.

I am desperate, DESPERATE to get off of this. I am getting married in two months and want to be 'drug free'! I have even gone down to breaking a 10mg tablet in half, every other day. But, I keep feeling so terrible (physical and edgy) that I always end up quickly downing the other half of the tablet sitting on my desk.

I told my GP I wanted something different, and he gave me prozac. (I took Prozac for 8 years beginning at age 8...I honestly don't remember how it worked for me, I was too young) But anyway, I've read that some people use prozac to get off of Seroxat. Is this possible?

I'm feeling so dizzy, out of control, angry, impatient, and scared. Terribly, the thing I keep turning to that helps is alcohol. Not good.

Any success stories or advice is appreciated.

I'd prefer having anxiety than having to rely on drugs and deal with these withdrawls.

Emphyrio
24-10-13, 15:45
How long have you been on Prozac for and at what dose?

You can get off Seroxat - you may have to spend 6 months slowly tapering down though to minimise withdrawal symptoms. Its best to taper the drug you're on rather than switch, though some people have successfully used the 'prozac bridge' method to get off medication that has a very short half life, like paroxetine and venlafaxine.

There is a website called paxilprogress which discusses the correct ways to come off these medications which you may want to check out. Generally, to half your dose is going to cause some pretty severe withdrawal symptoms unless you're very lucky. You can get liquid paroxetine which makes it much easier to taper off 10% at a time.

Do you really have to be drug free before you get married? Isn't your health and wellbeing more important? If you can generally function whilst on the seroxat, I'd consider staying on it and doing a slow slow taper.

favouritecake
24-10-13, 16:09
Thanks, Emphyrio. I do want to feel well and not anxious for my wedding, but as you say might just look after myself - stick with the drug until I can manage coming off.

I'm not currently on Prozac, my GP gave it to me to replace the Seroxat. Wish I would have known more about this drug, the main reason I started taking it was because of my anxiety coming back here and there, and I was turning to alcohol. The effects (and notably the withdrawals) have actually made me more reliant on drinking to calm my nerves. Nightmare.

Thanks for the advice and wish me luck! :)

Emphyrio
24-10-13, 16:29
Good luck!

There are plenty of ways you can manage anxiety whilst tapering off, or indeed when you're drug-free. Have you considered your sugar/caffeine intake? I also find that while alcohol is a good short-term fix, it actually makes me feel worse the next day. So like everything else, keep it in moderation!

Chamomile tea is also worth trying - if you don't like the taste, add a spoon of honey.

favouritecake
24-10-13, 17:58
This is true. I'm on at least 3 cups of coffee on a normal day, 4+ if I'm hungover. Anxiety city! Must start to monitor this, will stick to Chamomile or Rooibos and less alcohol.

favouritecake
30-10-13, 14:02
Hello - Just wanted to give a quick update and offer advice for anyone else who comes accross this vine! It worked. I switched cold turkey off the Seroxat and onto Prozac and have now not taken Seroxat for 6 days and I have not experienced any of the terrible withdrawls I was before. Still not feeling entirely myself, but I know the prozac takes a while to balance itself.

Consider
03-12-13, 07:09
favouritecake, thats good to know! :)

I was always so skeptical of the Paxil to Prozac switch, and with all the stories, you can only imagine where my fears are going. I always felt glad to be on Paxil but I know one day I will have to leave the meds, and when that happens, I will land on Prozac as discussed by my psych. Keep us updated :). I would love to hear your progress!

Elisa (Consider)

Emphyrio
04-12-13, 02:37
Hope the switch works out, though remember that withdrawals can manifest themselves in the form of anxiety and panic a month or two down the line. It seems to be rare for it to happen, but it has been documented. Withdrawals are more than just brain zaps, nausea, etc.