PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine?

mummyanxious
24-10-13, 16:51
I am feeling very odd this evening. I am feeling really tired and my heart is going fast and my ears are ringing. I just feel weird. Only thing I can put it down to us having too many cups of tea and cake this afternoon. I don't usually drink tea at all and if I do only the odd cup. I've had to go to the toilet quite desperately a couple of times as well.
Anyone else had bad reactions to caffeine? I'm a bit worried, will it just pass? Don't like feeling so spaced out and odd. I thought caffeine was supposed to wake you up not knock you sidewards!

Liviguy
24-10-13, 17:20
I feel more anxious and shaky after drinking a strong coffee.

HoneyLove
24-10-13, 17:27
If you have anxiety problems then caffeine is a big no no. It's a stimulant that will put your nervous system on edge, and as someone who is anxious that's the last thing you need, your nervous system is already on edge!

It will wear off, but make sure to avoid it in the future especially if you notice it makes you feel bad.

debs71
24-10-13, 17:32
I think caffeine does have an adverse effect on us. I was drinking a large coffee every day right before my anxiety flared up some weeks ago, and the first thing I got was bad palps.

I do think the coffee may have kickstarted it, as having that much caffeine was unusual for me (I got a bit hooked on the cappucinos in a bag from M&S!)

Once I stopped them, the palps went within a week or so.

It does sound like maybe the extra caffeine has flared up your anxiety. It is a stimulant which is why you need the loo more often too (as well as being the extra liquid of course)

It could be you have a bit of a mix going on right now. The caffeine is creating physical stuff (heart racing) which is making you anxious (ears ringing, spaced out, weird)

It should hopefully calm down for you soon hun.xx:hugs:

mummyanxious
24-10-13, 17:49
I don't think it was anxiety. I was with friends and having fun I just felt very odd, like buzzy and very tired. It was going to the toilet for a number two as well not bladder issues. Just seemed to go straight through me, sorry tmi.

Rosie2
24-10-13, 21:25
I used to drink coffee's made with espresso - 2 is my max, If I have 2 double espressos exactly the same thing happens to me!

anthrokid
25-10-13, 03:44
Yep, definitely could be due to the excess caffeine. Everyone has a different tolerance level. I know people who cannot have even a cup of tea/coffee because they get really jittery and anxious from it, and get awful stomach cramps!

mikewales
25-10-13, 08:12
Too much caffeine if you aren't used to it can definitely make you feel strange. I have mostly cut it out altogether now and just have decaff tea and coffee. And of course when we feel a bit off, that can make our anxiety flare up !

debs71
25-10-13, 15:24
I don't think it was anxiety. I was with friends and having fun I just felt very odd, like buzzy and very tired. It was going to the toilet for a number two as well not bladder issues. Just seemed to go straight through me, sorry tmi.

Caffeine makes you poo as well. Often like hell. It is a stimulant whether it is a wee or a poo!

emlica
25-10-13, 15:34
Caffeine makes you poo as well. Often like hell. It is a stimulant whether it is a wee or a poo!

Very true!! A lot of my Italian friends with their diet of pasta and bread (don't believe everything you read about the healthy mediterranean diet) rely on their morning espresso to, ahem, 'get things moving' :D

debs71
25-10-13, 15:47
Very true!! A lot of my Italian friends with their diet of pasta and bread (don't believe everything you read about the healthy mediterranean diet) rely on their morning espresso to, ahem, 'get things moving' :D

LOL...:D

Yep, a friend of mine always curses when she has just one coffee to many, as it makes her run for numerous number 2's afterwards. :ohmy:

NoPoet
25-10-13, 21:19
I used to drink about 10 cups of tea a day. I used to get "caffeine burnout" where it over-stimulated me to the point where I was talking too fast, I was edgy, couldn't sit still, groggy, bad-tempered and so stressed I could explode with nerd rage if pushed. Bear in mind I also have asperger syndrome.

It seems impossible to believe in hindsight, but it was only this year where I reduced my caffeine intake to no more than 1-2 caffinated cups per day, or just one coffee. In fairness I took the retard's route by going cold turkey at first, something I have a bad history for doing with medication.

I felt super-anxious and in a low, unmotivated mood for about 2-3 days and my work colleagues all noticed how withdrawn I suddenly became. I didn't have headaches but nearly everyone else does.

Suddenly my mojo came back. From day 4 onward I started feeling progressively better, going way past how I used to feel while on caffeine. I felt lighter, much more capable, more calm and reassured, with no "wired", edgy feelings. My IQ seemed to go up, I was better able to relax and relate to people. My general anxiety level took a nose-dive. I just coped better with everything. Now I work early mornings and find I need a small amount of caffeine to wake my brain up, but I never overdo it.

TL;DR - reduce your intake slowly, don't cut it out completely or see it as the root of all evil unless even small amounts make you very anxious.

debs71
25-10-13, 21:48
I used to drink about 10 cups of tea a day. I used to get "caffeine burnout" where it over-stimulated me to the point where I was talking too fast, I was edgy, couldn't sit still, groggy, bad-tempered and so stressed I could explode with nerd rage if pushed. Bear in mind I also have asperger syndrome.

It seems impossible to believe in hindsight, but it was only this year where I reduced my caffeine intake to no more than 1-2 caffinated cups per day, or just one coffee. In fairness I took the retard's route by going cold turkey at first, something I have a bad history for doing with medication.

I felt super-anxious and in a low, unmotivated mood for about 2-3 days and my work colleagues all noticed how withdrawn I suddenly became. I didn't have headaches but nearly everyone else does.

Suddenly my mojo came back. From day 4 onward I started feeling progressively better, going way past how I used to feel while on caffeine. I felt lighter, much more capable, more calm and reassured, with no "wired", edgy feelings. My IQ seemed to go up, I was better able to relax and relate to people. My general anxiety level took a nose-dive. I just coped better with everything. Now I work early mornings and find I need a small amount of caffeine to wake my brain up, but I never overdo it.

TL;DR - reduce your intake slowly, don't cut it out completely or see it as the root of all evil unless even small amounts make you very anxious.

You have really sold cutting the caffeine to me, PsychoPoet!:yesyes:

I just love my cups of tea. I don't drink coffee now, but I'm not sure I could give up tea....I drink about 4 cups a day, but would love to try going caffeine free...:)

Karol.Papis
26-10-13, 17:39
Hi, I drink quite a lot of coffees myself so I am more or less aware of the effects of caffeine :) It may be that because, as you said, you rarely drink any caffeine-containing products, your body got somewhat sensitive to it? How many cups of tea did you actually drink? Tea usually contains much less caffeine than, say, coffee... I hope the effects you described have already gone away... :) And yes, caffeine sometimes may actually tire you, rather than wake you up!

HoneyLove
26-10-13, 18:05
You have really sold cutting the caffeine to me, PsychoPoet!:yesyes:

I just love my cups of tea. I don't drink coffee now, but I'm not sure I could give up tea....I drink about 4 cups a day, but would love to try going caffeine free...:)

Don't make the mistake of thinking that tea is any better for you than coffee debs! Four cups a day is *lot* of caffeine, especially for someone who struggles with anxiety.

I drink Barry's decaf tea, it's delicious and tastes just like the regular stuff! I think Lyons do one too, but it doesn't taste as nice in my opinion.

I just have the odd cup of normal tea these days, and hot chocolate too (which also contains caffeine), it's just not worth drinking them on a regular basis, I'd rather go without than make my anxiety worse.

mummyanxious
26-10-13, 21:05
I don't usually drink it at all, maybe the odd cup at my parents. But I was with friends and they were making pot after pot so probably about 3-4 cups in the space of a couple of hours, with cake too.
Won't make that mistake again!

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

So I'm getting a bit fed up with this, I've had one bottle of ginger beer tonight and the palps have started. So tea coffee off and now alcohol is off too :(