PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a second opinion?! Help!

Rosie2
24-10-13, 21:12
In June I found a lump on my underarm, I only noticed it because it was pretty painful. It seemed to develop quickly (unless it had been there but only began to hurt when it became a certain size)

I had an ultrasound done in August, and I wasn't particularly impressed with the doctor who did it; he took a really long time to even find it on the scan, and said it was not a lymph node and was probably a lipoma. I saw 2 different GP's before the scan, and one said it was a lipoma and was not a lymph node, and the 2nd one (who was just a temp) said it was a lymph node, but from what I know she was quite new to being a GP.

It is not painful anymore, only when I touch it or knock it. I think it may have got slighty larger, but I am avoiding checking too much for obvious reasons.

It is also a bit tricky to tell where it ends and where my lymph nodes begin because there are glands near the bottom..

My GP said to make an appointment in the near future to discuss it and check it, and I am not sure if I should request another ultrasound/further tests at a better hospital.. the one I had my first ultrasound done at is pretty awful, I think its rated in the bottom 3 or 4 in London.. LOL. -_-

I am trying not to think about it too much because I don't want to worry myself, and the ultrasound doctor also said that if it was something dangerous or dodgey it would have come up v. clearly on the scan and since he struggled to find it he didn't seem to bothered.

Should I request another scan of some sort?

Thank you in advance! :hugs:

Fazzz
25-10-13, 00:43
Personally, i always feel better after a second opinion, half of my doctors are half arsed with me because of my health worries!

Rosie2
25-10-13, 22:26
Personally, i always feel better after a second opinion, half of my doctors are half arsed with me because of my health worries!

haha I think mine are too - the thing is though, all the things I've been to the dr's frequently about are all real conditions and they've been diagnosed! -_- but it's like they still think I'm exagerating or something:/

Fazzz
26-10-13, 00:19
haha I think mine are too - the thing is though, all the things I've been to the dr's frequently about are all real conditions and they've been diagnosed! -_- but it's like they still think I'm exagerating or something:/

I know how you feel!

Karol.Papis
26-10-13, 17:27
Hi Rosie,
I think it may be a good idea to get a second opinion on that issue if you still find it worrisome... but generally, if you think of checking the same thing again (and if something tells you the worry may continue no matter what the doctor says :), then perhaps set yourself a maximum number of doctor consultations in advance (not too high, I mean :) that you 'rationally' believe should be sufficient for a diagnosis (or a lack of it) and then stick to it. Good luck :):)