PDA

View Full Version : obsessed with blood pressure!

Amandala
25-10-13, 19:57
Hi everyone,
well my 20mg of celexa wasn't helping much and Dr thought it be best to try one of the old TCA, Tofranil. I've taken for 2 nights now.
I have always been somewhat obsessed with my BP and pulse, I have an electric reader and I use it often. My heart rate is usually 100bpm on a good day and my BP is usually 120/80. This morning I got a reading of 103/65, so I checked it again, same thing. So, I have basically checked it now every 1/2 hour and while my pulse is the usual, my BP is so low for me (its now 110/76)
I am scared to death I'm going to bottom out and faint, I am probably making myself lightheaded and dizzy!
So you think the new meds are effecting me badly or is it ok to be low sometimes?
I want to to stop checking it and I don't think I can!

Annie0904
25-10-13, 20:22
Mine is quite often much lower than that. It is very rare for mine to go above 100/70
It is much better to have it low than high :) You really need to stop checking so often though as it will make you more anxious. It is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

Fishmanpa
25-10-13, 20:23
It is much better to have it low than high :) You really need to stop checking so often though as it will make you more anxious. It is perfectly normal, nothing to worry about.

^^^^ Couldn't have said it better :)

debs71
25-10-13, 20:51
Mine is quite often much lower than that. It is very rare for mine to go above 100/70

Totally agree with you, Annie.x:hugs:

Low is much better to have than high, any day! Mine runs low too (has gone down to 70/40 before) but it is still healthier to run low than high, so worry not! x

NoPoet
25-10-13, 21:25
Hypotension is listed as a non-dangerous side effect of this medication. Hypotension means reduced blood pressure. It seems rare for people not to get some kind of side effect from their medication so this one would seem to be yours. Speak to your doctor for reassurance, but your heart rate would need to be a lot lower to be classed as abnormal.

tiff123
25-10-13, 22:02
My blood pressure is hardly ever over 110/70, (sometimes as low as 95-100).

It wont do you any harm, it's pretty good actually. Nurses might panic but most docs know better... I have a heart technician tell me he was "jealous" of my bp.

Try not to get obsessed with measuring... I was for a month or so a year ago. I measured it SO much and so many times per day I ended up with huge bruise where the thing squeezes your arm.

Then it dawned on me I was being crazy and I snapped out of it. On to the million other things I've "got" instead.

ricardo
26-10-13, 07:30
Amandala

Your thread title with the word obsessed is something many of us have periods of, where we home into one or multiple body parts of our body constantly and that in itself increases one's anxiety. It's not easy,as I know myself,but one has to train oneself not to focus on your BP and occupy or distract oneself . It takes plenty of practice but can be achieved.

Amandala
26-10-13, 12:58
Thank you everyone! I texted with the pdoc and she said it was safe to continue to take the med but to stop it if my BP goes below 90/60 and I am dizzy (she specifically said "true dizzy-not anxiety dizzy" lol!
She isisted I only take my BP once a day after dinner, my husband saw that text and took the BP cuff away from me and hid it.
So, you are all right, I need to stop looking for things to be wrong and be positive that this could be the right med to turn it all around for once and for all :)

Dazza
02-11-13, 03:51
I wish those were my blood pressure numbers... they are VERY healthy!! :)