PDA

View Full Version : What type of therapy is best,

jill
02-11-06, 00:28
Hi all :D

CAN ANYONE HELP [?]

My mother inlaw owns a dog, she took it for a walk a few weeks ago and she was attacked by another dog [:O][:O] it bit her sooo hard on her hand she has had two op's and has got rods in it, you know the type of thing, where you can see the nuts and bolts on the outside. :(

The thing is now she is sooooo scared of taking her dog for a walk, She is having flashback and nighmares. She is doing well and goes out with someone else with her dog, but she is haveing major problems with high anxiety. Can anyone recomend what type of therapy is best for this.

I know time is a great healer, but I do feel that she needs a therpist to help her get through this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Wishing you all well

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

domino
02-11-06, 11:51
HI,jill your poor mum in law how awlful for her, what has become of the dog that bite her? i really do,nt know what to advise except visit her g.p. and let him/her know how she,s feeling, i would continue walking her dog and although this may sound silly , try and find out who own,s this dog, and take legal action against them. I hope your mum in law feels better soon,let us know what she decides to do, from a dog lover,lorraine.

jill
02-11-06, 12:17
Hi Lorrraine :D

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that was sooo nice of you.

I myself have learned sooo much from this site, so I have a little knowledge myself on what she should do and advice her were I can. I am trying at the moment to stop her linking this truama to anything else, she has a stuffed dog, which she bought because it sings and the song reminds her of her husband who passed away along time ago. She says that the stuffed dog looks like the dog that bit her :( so I'm trying to help her change her thought patten on that.

No, she does not know the dog that bit her, it was such a small dog too, but it casued lots of damege to her hand. She has been to the GP and he has given her meds to calm her down, but feels not ready to talk to a therapist about what happened. She is talking to me about it, which is a good thing and a step forward, but finds walking the dog with a friend very hard and sooooo scary, but she does it. ( JFDI ) which is great.

The family are looking into legal action and the police and dog wardens have been informed of what happened.

Thank you again Lorraine :D

Wishing you well

LOVE JILLXX

domino
02-11-06, 12:39
hOPE you get a result from her experience, really though i would get you mum in law to talk with a couceller about this, as from experience this could go on for years,i was bitten by a nighbours dog years ago and still am afraid of some dogs ,the one that bite me was shot, i do not feel guilty about this it helped with my recovery. I,m the one left with the scares. and i,m convinced that the family got another one.

jill
02-11-06, 13:02
Hi Lorraine :D

I am scared of dogs too, even my mother inlaws dog, will not go into that. LOL

Ohhh I never thought of that Lorraine, that the fear would be kept there because the dog that bit her, still is lurking around the area she lives in. mmm this is not going to help her recovery, is it. Thank you soo much for that. I will have a talk to her and try and get her to see someone.

Thanks again for your help

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

mick
02-11-06, 21:01
hi Jill
i would try hypnotherapy to try to overcome the truama and anxiety and i would recomend reiki as well as this will help the physical injury as well as the emotional damage as reiki will find its way to parts of the body that needs healing physically and mentally its pretty powerfull stuff im undergoing a course of reiki myself and its definatly helping me i also have had hypnotherapy and this helped clear up some of my anxiety issues as well
hope this advice helps
Mick

jill
03-11-06, 09:10
Hi Mick :D

Thank you for taking the time to reply :D

I will pass this information on to my mother inlaw. Its good to hear that they are helping you, thats great news. [^]:D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

carldourish
03-11-06, 13:09
Hello Jill,

because the event is recent and we know what happened, I suggest EFT. This will work wonders.

Carl

jill
03-11-06, 14:38
Hi Carl :D

Thank you for your advice [^]:D passing the information on to mother inlaw.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Eveline
03-11-06, 21:50
It may sound very obvious, but whatever works best for her! You can tell someone to go into talk-therapy, but if that's not your thing, that will not help. Behaviour therapy can help, so can hypnotherapy, or EFT, or, well.. anything you can imagine.
What you need to look for is something that will feel right, that you will feel comfortable 'trying out', and even then it's finding the therapist you feel comfortable...

Wishing your mother in law all the best!

jill
03-11-06, 22:06
Hi Eveline,

Thank you for your reply.You are right, whatever works best for her. I have told her all the information that I have been given. It seems she wants to try and beat this on her own. She says talking to me is helping, so we will see how things go.

Thank again all for taking the time to reply to my thread, :D

TAKE CARE

LOVE TO ALL

JILLXXX

bb01234
08-01-07, 01:01
I'd endorse the previous posts. With a recent known event there is every possiblity that your mother will be able to release the feelings that are stopping her enjoying what should be a happy experience.

What I would say also is that if she leave it too long she will start to fight two demons, one the event and two, the fact that she's left it too long and is scared to start.

It's natural to feel that way - we all do at times - and it will pass. I'd guess that the local NHS won't be paying for this so you might need to checkout what therapists are available locally.

The test of success will be can she do what she used to do - if not then she may need to change her approach and apply a second method

HTH

Regards

Brian