PDA

View Full Version : Glands or something

willous1
25-10-13, 22:05
Hi

I have a new worry. At the top of my leg (almost where stomach above leg is) has gland like lumps! Is this normal as never felt them before. How would you know if they were swollen? One is like a hard little pea that you can rub. Not quite in groin. Hope this makes sense? It doesn't hurt?

Fazzz
26-10-13, 00:59
Ah, a fellow person who worries about this. I used to worry about that allot, with how skinny i am they literally stick out of my groin area. Believe me, its normal! Also, dont quote me on this but im pretty sure they are some of many lymph nodes around your body. If you have the flu or a common cold they become swollen (Swollen Glands, yep bet you have heard that before). Dont worry!

Good luck.

willous1
27-10-13, 21:09
I am now becoming obsessed with this gland business. Can someone help me? If you sit there and feel round you nick etc will you also feel glands in certain places even if not up. I keep feeling in side of neck. Really paranoid

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

I can feel one on side of neck and in same place on other side is this a good sign as if same on both side less chance of being cancer

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Can anyone help

Fishmanpa
27-10-13, 21:17
I am now becoming obsessed with this gland business. Can someone help me? If you sit there and feel round you nick etc will you also feel glands in certain places even if not up. I keep feeling in side of neck. Really paranoid

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:29 ----------

I can feel one on side of neck and in same place on other side is this a good sign as if same on both side less chance of being cancer

---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 20:51 ----------

Can anyone help

The lymph nodes are essentially the sewer system for your body and you have somewhere between 500 and 600 throughout your body. Depending on body fat percentage, if you have a virus or bacterial infection, allergies or other bodily irritations you can feel quite a few in your neck, armpits, groin etc.

Perfectly normal to be able to feel them honestly. If something is wrong, they'll swell as they're cleaning your up so to speak. If you have a hard "painless" swollen gland that doesn't go away in a few weeks or respond to antibiotics or increase in size, see your doctor to be on the safe side. In the vast majority of cases, it's what I mentioned previously and nothing to worry about.

Good Luck!

willous1
27-10-13, 21:24
Do you think the one in neck on either side feels normal? Could it be they have always been there? I'm sure I have felt them in same place for years and had glandular fever as kid. I hate ha

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

And would you be able to feel th just from a gentle rub round neck as I can't or would you need to properly feel

LilSun
27-10-13, 21:42
I feel my both glands on my neck (the ones under your jaw) all the time. It's normal for me. I can feel them even if I rub gently. :) They were always there, plus I had angina in my childhood pretty often, so they've stayed like this for decades.

Fishmanpa
27-10-13, 21:46
I feel my both glands on my neck (the ones under your jaw) all the time. It's normal for me. I can feel them even if I rub gently. :) They were always there, plus I had angina in my childhood pretty often, so they've stayed like this for decades.

Angina as a child?

LilSun
27-10-13, 21:51
Angina as a child?

Yes, Acute tonsillitis - angina. Me and my younger sister had it, sometimes pretty severe. And I remember my doc always checked my glands on throat and she always said that they look swollen. Well, I had this "checking" thingy since then and nope, they are not getting smaller since then, I can still feel them anytime I touch. I think it's a normal thing, or just anatomy.

Fishmanpa
27-10-13, 22:10
Yes, Acute tonsillitis - angina.

Those are two different things actually. Acute tonsillitis would actually account for having swollen glands in the neck. I had both my palatine and lingual tonsils removed in an attempt to locate the primary of my oral cancer to no avail unfortunately. Those surgeries were ridiculously painful as an adult!

LilSun
27-10-13, 22:17
Strange thing is, I still have my tonsils, even though I had lots of problems with them. :ohmy:

willous1
28-10-13, 07:17
Just been reading about lymphoma cancer and now I'm shaking. I swear these glands have always been there but uncertainty is horrible. I have one at back which is big and has been there since kid and one near groin but know about them.

willous1
28-10-13, 12:15
J

dancingfrog
28-10-13, 12:44
Can I just add that excessively touching you nodes will cause them to become permanently enlarged, trust me I've got nodes in a few places that I've touched so much they have scarred. If your concerned take a trip to the doctors, but in the meantime please limit any googling and touching!

willous1
28-10-13, 13:46
I'm sure they have always been there. I can't help but constantly feel but need to stop. Is lymphoma common. So worried