PDA

View Full Version : fed up of such little help...

Rebexy
26-10-13, 12:03
Does anyone else get fed up with the small amount of help that is available for us? I mean they stick us on meds and then forget about us. If we're lucky we might get a few sessions of therapy but even that has to end before we're ready on most occassions!

Sparkle1984
26-10-13, 13:07
Yes I know exactly what you mean. It often seems like people with physical health problems get treated much better and more quickly. In my area, the counseling and therapy service is only open from 9 to 5 Monday to Friday so people in full time work can't even access it! Do I've had to organise my own help, pretty much.

I don't feel completely forgotten about though, as I have to see my doctor every 6 months for med reviews.

Daisy Sue
26-10-13, 16:22
I think people with invisible illnesses have to push that much harder to first get listened to, and then to get help. Which is all wrong on many counts, the worst being that when you're severely depressed or anxious, the last thing you feel like doing is fighting for your rights!

But we have to keep on... the help is out there, and we're just as entitled as anyone else to it. It's useful if you could take a family member or friend to doctor appointments with you, if you don't feel up to pushing for help yourself.

debs71
26-10-13, 18:10
I agree with you, Rebexy. It is shocking frankly.

1 in 4 people suffer from one form or another of mental health problem. You would never know it by the manner of some GPs.

I was on and off meds for years. I eventually got off them entirely in 2011. My GP was none the wiser. I didn't bother discussing it with him as they never asked me in for consultations as to how I was doing, they just doled out my prescription, no questions asked, so I just thought 'what's the bloody point?' I was a nurse at the time, so I knew how to wean down, but that had no bearing on anything at all.

I remember years before that asking my GP if he could advise as to the right time I should be on meds for and when he would advise perhaps coming off them.

His answer was, 'well only you know when you think you feel better'!!!!!!!!!!!

I was disgusted.

I went back to see a different GP in the practice a few weeks ago to restart meds again. I told the doctor I was struggling with my anxiety again, and my self-help techniques were not working for me despite trying, and I broke down crying.

He said 'so what would you like to do about that?'

I was flabbergasted again. My immediate thought was 'who is the ****ing doctor here????'

I told him I wanted to restart meds, and that although I had counselling years ago which helped me a lot, I think I would like to see how I go with the meds first, but he himself made no offer at all for any therapy of any kind.

It was basically the same old story, and to be honest I felt like he did not take me seriously at all. It was demoralising frankly, and I still think there are a lot of (particularly old school) doctors who do not take anxiety/mental health sufferers seriously or understand the condition.

The only thing he did say was he wanted to see me again in 6 weeks time to review how I was, but that was it.

S'pose I should be grateful for that.

I am of the mind set that we as sufferers mostly have to be our OWN advocates, and fight for ourselves, and be proactive in seeking help in the light of none being offered, as from what I see and hear form others, this is a very common thing...the medication conveyor belt going on and on, and nowt else.:mad:

Adam**
27-10-13, 12:49
i agree ive been stuck on pills refered to mental health team, and refered to RETHINK and thats been it i have no idea whats going on nobody lets me know whats going on and ive no idea when i should see my doc about things as it is id be there everyday.

At my worse i was ringing cpn ,social worker and doctor at leats 8 times a week i was in a right state and really didnt feel in touch with reality.

MaxieP
27-10-13, 15:50
People with drink problems can turn to AA, gamblers have GA, those with drug issues have drug dependency groups, there seems to be every help programme under the sun except for those who suffer depression.

My GP was none the wiser. I didn't bother discussing it with him as they never asked me in for consultations as to how I was doing, they just doled out my prescription, no questions asked, so I just thought 'what's the bloody point?'

but he himself made no offer at all for any therapy of any kind.

It was basically the same old story, and to be honest I felt like he did not take me seriously at all.
I am experiencing exactly the same. Once upon a time your doctor was someone who took an active interest in his patient, someone you could really confide in. Nowadays you're in and out in 10 minutes and they consider their job done. Too many people and not enough doctors I suppose.

Rebexy
27-10-13, 16:37
I was watching 999 whats your emergency the other day and it was focusing on mental health. The amount of people who have been taken to A and E by ambulance time and time again for attempted suicides and they are just patched up and sent back on there way to do it again. It really is disgusting and something really needs to change. This government is STILL cutting beds on mental health wards and there is STILL no maximum waiting limit for therapy. I myself actually waiting nearly two years!

Round in circles
28-10-13, 03:05
I shouldn't get started on what I think about the state of mental health services on the NHS. I've spent years asking for long term talking treatment after several failed cbt attempts. Contrary to what the NHS might believe, it doesn't work for everyone. Now I'm just left with no help at all. At the last review, I was told that a cpn would be the best way forward for me rather than actual therapy, which is just plain ridiculous. I have complex PTSD, depression, social anxiety, asperger's syndrome, several failed suicide attempts and hardly leave the house never mind have any friends etc. I don't think a cpn is going to be able to help me sort out all that no matter how good they are.

I was then told that about a mindfulness group for people who had depression and anxiety. The consultant actually said "but I might be able to get you in too". I just looked at her and asked what exactly they had me down as having if not depression and anxiety, to which she replied that she'd seen me twice in two years and wouldn't even attempt a diagnosis.

This consultant is the only so called mental health professional I actually get to see. It's supposed to be be a review once every six months, but the last time was a year between appointments. Asking for help at these things does nothing. Writing to the director of mental health services for help does nothing.

They say the first step is asking for help. More like the last step before the door gets slammed in your face!