PDA

View Full Version : GAD without meds

Missteaken
27-10-13, 06:34
Hi, I'm new here and have been suffering from GAD for the last 3 years or so. (or so I'm assuming, I haven't been officially diagnosed, but most GPs I've seen will say "yep, sounds like anxiety/depression" and leave it at that)

In that time I've tried a LOT of types and combinations of meds to assist, but unfortunately for me I'm one of the lucky ones who experiences every side effect under the sun. My GP tells me to "wait it out", as the side effects usually subside after a couple of weeks, however, I am a single mother to an extremely demanding and active 3 year old who just doesn't understand or appreciate why mummy literally can't move or function during that time.

I have no family or friends around me who can help out, so to me meds don't really seem like an viable option - Not to mention that it's just plain dangerous to have a young child running around the house with no supervision. So, I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there who is going through this alone and without medication. Is it even possible to come out the other side without happy pills?

I have just started seeing my 4th psychologist. We've only had one session so far, so haven't gotten into the nitty gritty yet. I found that the other 3 psychologists weren't for me, and it's really frustrating to have to start over again. I also think I have a touch of social anxiety, which means opening up to someone new takes a lot of time. I feel like I'm running on the spot. Not getting any worse, but not getting any better either.

It's so depressing. :huh:

bellesmummy
27-10-13, 07:34
Hi, I am a mummy to a 3 year old and a 1 year old so I know how difficult it is. I to have been on 2 different meds and had horrible side effects so I try to manage my anxiety/ depression without! I am on a waiting list for face to face cbt and I'm lucky that I have a very supportive family but other than that I have to battle on with it!

Missteaken
27-10-13, 07:52
Hi Bellsmummy,
Thanks for your reply. What kinds of things do you do to manage your anxiety, if you don't mind me asking?

Aquilega
27-10-13, 08:48
Hi I have had anxiety for at least 10 years have stopped meds now and its courage,determination and sheer blxxdy mindness that gets me through + disstraction techniques(keeping busy:)

Missteaken
27-10-13, 09:01
Thanks Fighter.
Do you see yourself living out the rest of your life with anxiety? Do you think that those strategies are kind of just a band-aid to get you through day-to-day? Or do you think that one day you'll be rid of your anxiety. Does that make any sense? Sorry for all the questions. Feeling kinda helpless right now :(

Rennie1989
27-10-13, 10:33
I am recovering from a serious form of GAD and I'm doing it without medication, apart from the odd herbal tablet to nip it in the bud. I was on Seroxat and it made me worse, rather than better. But I've learned a lot of techniques that work for me and learned others from my CBT therapist.

Me and happy pills share a mutual dislike to each other!

bellesmummy
05-11-13, 21:13
Hi Bellsmummy,
Thanks for your reply. What kinds of things do you do to manage your anxiety, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi missteaken,
Sorry I didn't see that you wrote this! I try and manage my anxiety by keeping busy!! Its very hard as I often feel so very tired and worn out so I just have to put up with it! I don't really go out much, haven't many friends! I go to my mums most days for company. Its so very hard with little ones to look after as you have to put them first and like you said its hard explaining to a 3 year old why you feel like you do and that you don't feel like doing done things!

Emphyrio
06-11-13, 00:42
Chamomile tea seems to help me with the physical anxiety symptoms, although its a very subtle effect. For the physical symptoms try reducing caffeine/alcohol/processed sugar. Exercise also works wonders.

ankietyjoe
06-11-13, 16:35
My anxiety started in about 2006 and lasted for a year or so, I had a course of CBT and eventually found a way of coping med free. My anxiety came back massively in 2010 (work, new child, money worries etc) and utterly floored me for 18 months. At one point I though I was going to take meds and even picked up a prescription for them, but ultimately didn't want to risk the cycle of trial and error that many people appear to suffer from year after year, but also didn't want to have to rely on something.

Ultimately after much research I discovered meditation, which has absolutely transformed my life. It takes time and practise, but it's very effective in combating all mental ailments that aren't medical in nature (which very few of them are).

Edie
06-11-13, 17:00
I'm also one of those "lucky" ones with regard to side effects!

There is definitely a place for meds for many people, they can help lift your mood to the point you can start working on your recovery. But they are not essential at all. All they can do is lift symptoms. It's therapy that can teach you long-term coping skills. It's a real shame you haven't had much luck with your previous psychologists. I hope this one works out better.

PamG
07-11-13, 08:53
I too am one of the lucky ones. I am a mum to beautiful 4 yr old twin girls. I was diagnosed with high anxiety and depression in May this year and was put on citilopram. The side effects of this were ten times worse for me than the anxiety itself. I was then out on 2mg lorazepam daily to combat the 'crisis' that had erupted. Slowly, with the help of weekly cpn visits and monthly psychiatrist visits I have come off everything. I still have a mental battle everyday, and keeping busy is the best medicine for me, but how can you be a mum of small children and not be busy? Haha! I always have a wee store of diazepam if I really need it, but so far have been able to talk myself down from my episodes. Like I said in my other post, my girls are my reason for getting up and getting in with life.

Good luck to all you non medication people. I know how it feels to be disliked by the meds!!

Pam xx