PDA

View Full Version : The difference between an anxiety attack and a real heart issue

Fishmanpa
27-10-13, 13:27
I've had two heart attacks. I've also had two panic/anxiety attacks. While the symptoms definitely mimic each other, there is a big difference for me that I'd like to share. Perhaps this can help some of you suffering from heart related anxieties.

First off, if you're at risk, meaning a bit older (Late 30's-40's+), have issues like high BP, high cholesterol, triglycerides or other risk factors, then contacting your doctor or going to the hospital is prudent.

My heart attacks were different in that the first one began with a slight weird feeling inside my chest which was followed by a bit of dizziness and nausea. It happened in the morning and I sat down for a bit and it passed. Later that evening it came on again but stronger. Then I actually had some pain deep inside my chest. I took two aspirin and laid down but within 10 minutes I was having pain in my underarm, radiating down my left arm. I went to the hospital blood tests showed I was having a heart attack. I definitely was in pain and felt awful! A subsequent stress test and cath showed major blockages in three arteries and I was under the knife (triple bypass) a few days later.

The 2nd heart attack (last October) was totally different. On a Saturday, I had what felt like gas pains radiating across my chest and upper back. I took an acid reducer and chewed a couple of antacids and it went away so I was sure that's all it was. After all, I had a heart attack and major surgery 5 years earlier and had been taking care of myself before that and afterwards. It couldn't be my heart again could it? During the rest of the day and evening it came back twice more. The one in the evening was pretty bad but again, a couple of antacids quelled the symptoms. The next day (Sunday) I was fine all day. Nothing at all. Then on Monday while at work, it started again in the early afternoon. This time, antacids didn't work and I took two doses of nitroglycerin which didn't alleviate the pain. That's when the gut feeling kicked in and I had the "Uh Oh" moment. So I went to the ER and it was there I actually had the heart attack. Again, totally different than the first time. The first one hurt but this one was excruciating! Long story short and three stents later I'm fine. I'm very fortunate that in both cases there was very minimal damage to the heart muscle which is miraculous being that the blockages were severe.

Now... let's talk about the panic attacks and how they differed. Both times there was chest pain, nausea and dizziness. The first time was several months after my first heart attack and surgery. I was at work and I felt a twinge in my chest. Well the first thing I thought was Ohhh SH(*% another heart attack! I got dizzy, short of breath, nauseous and felt like crap! I sat at my desk trying to calm down and make it stop but it just got worse. In my mind I was thinking "No... come on... you just had surgery, saw the doctor last week and your heart is fine." but I just couldn't calm myself down. I started thinking this must be a panic attack or something. But with my history, I thought it best to go to the ER. They checked me out, gave me a shot to calm me down and within a couple hours I was fine. All tests were normal.

The second one was similar and happened this year in February the night before I was scheduled for my neck dissection for head and neck cancer. I had similar symptoms as the first time. The worst was chest tightness. Again, I knew I was stressed and I knew it was an anxiety attack but due to my history I thought it best to go to the ER. You can guess the rest.

There were two HUGE differences between the heart attacks and the anxiety attacks. While they had similar symptoms, the heart attacks hurt WAY more! On a scale of 1-10, the heart attacks were 9-10. Literally unbearable while the anxiety attacks were around a 5 and never got worse. There's also a gut thing that was different. As with many here, you know you have anxiety and many have had similar experiences as I did. Knowing what the anxiety attack is like, they're familiar to you by now. If you were having an actual heart attack I can assure you, you would know something was different and there's a gut feeling deep inside of "Uh Oh... this isn't good". I can 100% assure you, you wouldn't be coming to this forum asking questions and advice about it as you would be in too much distress.

Hopefully, this post can help those with heart fears. In the mean time, take care of your physical self, DON'T SMOKE! Don't do drugs! Eat healthy and exercise and you can avoid real heart issues in your future :) And again, I'm not a doctor, so if you truly feel something is wrong, seek help.

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"

HoneyLove
27-10-13, 14:43
Great post Fishmanpa! You have wonderful insight being through these experiences, I love that you come here to share it and show people how to recognise what is panic and what is genuine illness :)

I get heart palpitations from acid reflux, but before I knew what it was it scared the hell out of me! I would wake in the night with a pounding heart, or it would start racing for no reason at all during the day. It really frightened me, so I can see why people are so worried about their hearts.

I also get palpitations when stressed, but these days I just take that as a sign that I really need to do some relaxation work!

mummyanxious
27-10-13, 17:04
I really appreciate you posting this. I can see why you have and I am sure it is going to help many people.

I have had many panic attacks and luckily rarely suffer them these days. In fact bar an episode earlier in the year I cannot remember the last time I had a full attack. I usually have limited symptom attacks these days and can cut them short of a full panic attack.

However as I say earlier in the year I had an episode which has shaken me and I've not been able to get past. I had central chest pain and felt like I was going to vomit. My heart was racing and skipping and I felt very dizzy. I have never has chest pain and nausea with panic attacks at all and while trying to calm myself down I was thinking to myself this is not right, this is different to normal I am certain I am going to die.

That was 5 months ago. I have seen the dr who was unconcerned. Have had an ECG and an event monitor. Nothing other than ectopics picked up.

But my skipped beats are worse these days.

The thing I find worrying about your post, and I am honestly not having a go its great youve posted, is that I frequently have gassy pains and indigestion etc and you've said that's how your HA started. I'm in my mid 30s so approaching the at risk age group you're talking of.

But drs aren't interested at all :(

Ats666
27-10-13, 17:42
I'm also approaching late 30's, is this really the age the risk increases? Great post by the way :)

nomorepanic
27-10-13, 18:02
If you read what fishmanpa said:

"First off, if you're at risk, meaning a bit older (Late 30's-40's+), have issues like high BP, high cholesterol, triglycerides or other risk factors, then contacting your doctor or going to the hospital is prudent."

So he meant if you are all of those things not just that you are in your late 30's.

The other risk factors are being overweight, a smoker, an alcohol drinker, don't exercise etc

I had an M.I. and you definitely know there is something wrong that is different to normal chest pain you get with anxiety. The left side of my heart is irreparably damaged from it.

Fishmanpa
27-10-13, 18:41
If you read what fishmanpa said:

"First off, if you're at risk, meaning a bit older (Late 30's-40's+), have issues like high BP, high cholesterol, triglycerides or other risk factors, then contacting your doctor or going to the hospital is prudent."

So he meant if you are all of those things not just that you are in your late 30's.

The other risk factors are being overweight, a smoker, an alcohol drinker, don't exercise etc

I had an M.I. and you definitely know there is something wrong that is different to normal chest pain you get with anxiety. The left side of my heart is irreparably damaged from it.

So "selective reading" is a symptom of HA? ;) I should know that based on the "Dr. Google" syndrome :)

I was a smoker, drinker, party animal etc, out of shape through my 20's and 30's and had a family history of heart issues. I was in incredible shape when I had my 1st heart attack which happened to help save my life but I had it coming to be honest.

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

The thing I find worrying about your post, and I am honestly not having a go its great youve posted, is that I frequently have gassy pains and indigestion etc and you've said that's how your HA started.

Nicola emphasized my point...

FYI... I don't suffer from anxiety. I came to the site to learn more as I encounter people in real life with the malady. Now concerning the gas?... ~whew~ I prefer not to comment ~lol~

mummyanxious
27-10-13, 19:09
Sorry I didn't use the correct terminology. By HA I meant heart attack started with indigestion and gas pains not health anxiety.

Fishmanpa
27-10-13, 19:41
Sorry I didn't use the correct terminology. By HA I meant heart attack started with indigestion and gas pains not health anxiety.

No worries :) Maybe it was coincidence with the antacids but I did get relief. If anything, I have the opposite of health anxiety. I was like "no way" this is a heart attack. I'll put off going to the doctor or hospital when I'm hurting. There were several times during my cancer treatment I should have gone in for fluids or help but I was too stubborn.

I've learned to pay a little more attention.

mummyanxious
27-10-13, 21:24
No probs. My mistake. I suppose I've thought to myself time and time again what if these indigestion pains actually are heart issues instead.
And I really related to what you said about how you knew it was different. My episode of whatever it was was different and I remember being very clear in my mind it was the real thing. Because I didn't feel frightened the same as you do with a normal panic attack. I just can't get past it. But I suppose something would have shown up in my subsequent ECG and monitor results had it been a 'silent' heart attack.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Do you think it was just a coincidence then or were the two connected? I'm worried about all this stomach/heart stuff.

nomorepanic
27-10-13, 22:57
Yes indigestion can indicate a heart attack as well but you would know if you had one so you have to distinguish between the two.

mummyanxious
27-10-13, 23:24
Agh I just don't know what to think then. Maybe my indigestion issues are heart related. I certain get more skipped beats etc when I've got what I think is indigestion.
Just sat here and felt a bit odd and my heart was going fast for no reason and then slowed down. I'm sick of this. I have small children, I want to see them grow up :( sorry I've hijacked this post :(
Thank you again for posting.

nomorepanic
27-10-13, 23:41
What I meant is that if you have indigestion then it could be a sign of a heart attack not that every time you get indigestion it means you are having one.

You would know by now!

Fishmanpa
27-10-13, 23:47
Yes indigestion can indicate a heart attack as well but you would know if you had one so you have to distinguish between the two.

Agh I just don't know what to think then. Maybe my indigestion issues are heart related. I certain get more skipped beats etc when I've got what I think is indigestion.
Just sat here and felt a bit odd and my heart was going fast for no reason and then slowed down. I'm sick of this. I have small children, I want to see them grow up :( sorry I've hijacked this post :(
Thank you again for posting.

Read my OP again. There is a HUGE difference between the two. You're selectively reading the post and equating "one" symptom with your fears. If you read through the "Symptoms" link on the left, what you're experiencing is classic anxiety. Again, I'm not a doctor but I think I'm on point here. Your stomach issues are anxiety/stress related and the subsequent heart symptoms (palpitations, skipped beats etc) are a physical reaction caused by the additional stress your mind is creating.

Good Luck!

nomorepanic
27-10-13, 23:59
I know a few people that have heart attacks including a family member and each one has said they knew it was something more than just chest pain.

Please trust me and fishmanpa - we know what we are talking about!

mummyanxious
28-10-13, 00:03
I'm sorry :( I just want to get a quality of life back. I didn't mean to hijack, you've done a great thing here. Thank you

nomorepanic
28-10-13, 00:17
You are not doing anything wrong mummy - we are just trying to reassure you and probably failing lol

panickyme
28-10-13, 00:33
I thank you very much for the post, but as a long time sufferer of panic, and health anxiety, you post actually makes me nervous. See when you suffer health anxiety it is very hard to distinguish between just anxiety, or real trouble. (lucky for you, you knew) and you also do not suffer with this cruel kind of Ha. I have also heard of people have had heart attacks with not many symptoms at all, so you just do not know, you have to listen to your gut feeling. This is were HA really starts kicking in for me, because the truth is it could be, (most likely not) but it could, and it the fear of the unknown that freaks at least me out. I love that you posted to try and help that was really kind. However someone like me,(and I wanted you to understand were I was coming from) that just makes me more nervous. Sorry, but thanks for trying. :hugs:

nomorepanic
28-10-13, 00:38
We are not trying to scare people and we are not trying to hide things from people - why would we?

People die of all sorts of illnesses all the time and I am sorry but I am not going to tell people about my experience just because it may upset someone that suffers with HA

People need to educate themselves on these things and these posts are done to help not stress people out.

panickyme
28-10-13, 00:46
I am clearly not saying, you shouldn't post your experiences, I am speaking for me only. I would never take the freedom of speech from someone. I am just saying for me only (and I clicked the button, I did not have to read it, I chose to) I have really bad HA so this just feeds into my fears. I was by far not rude about it, and would never try to offend anyone.

Fishmanpa
28-10-13, 01:17
I am clearly not saying, you shouldn't post your experiences, I am speaking for me only. I would never take the freedom of speech from someone. I am just saying for me only (and I clicked the button, I did not have to read it, I chose to) I have really bad HA so this just feeds into my fears. I was by far not rude about it, and would never try to offend anyone.

I hear what you're saying and it makes sense. Depending on your state of mind, talking about any symptom of any major illness can send someone with HA into a downward spiral. I'm seeing it happen on this thread for goodness sakes! ;)

Yes, there are exceptions to just about every illness and disease but they are far in the minority. The point being that many on this forum have had the chest pain, dizziness and nausea that's associated with a heart attack or cardio vascular issues and all that have had those symptoms have checked out fine (to my knowledge). I've read countless posts of members describing their symptoms on the forum and none have been a real heart attack. When you're in major pain or distress, I just can't see how you can post. I know for me, there was no way I could have taken the time to post a questions and await an answer on a forum! Yet, that's what I see day in and day out here.

I'm sorry it makes you more nervous but it seems it would apply for most posts on the forum as well if your HA is that severe. I truly hope you and everyone finds a way to control their anxiety. From my brief and few experiences with anxiety, I cannot begin to imagine a life filled with it 24/7.

Positive thoughts and prayers.

mummyanxious
28-10-13, 07:19
I think the worrying but about the post for me is again the indigestion part. It's fair enough that when it happened to be the actual heart attack you knew because it was pain beyond pain. But the lead up is something I get all the time, the indigestion and wind. I suffer daily. And you say that came and went. So I suppose what I'm saying is how do I know that its just indigestion the next time. I get what I think are osphagial spams but maybe its my heart.
Golly I bet you're thinking you wish you hadn't bothered posting. You will truly help someone but for me its these everyday symptoms that turned into the attack that's frightening.
I know that obviously every time I've had these I haven't had an attack but my thoughts in my head are what if they are warning signs of my heart being in trouble. I hope I explained that properly, I'm not doing too well trying to get my point out.

---------- Post added at 07:19 ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 ----------

I've put my heart under a lot of strain from stress the past two years, not my own fault. But I worry I've damaged it and any minute I'm going to drop down. I m only mid thirties, I don't smoke, drink very little and as far as I'm aware don't have a family history. But it's the stress weighing heavily on me every day. My blood pressure isn't high, on fact its lower side of normal and my pulse is generally low too. But my friends father had an attack with low bp and low pulse so that's also in the back of my mind. But every time you say about it to the dr they're just like well its a good thing, I'd like mine to be like that.

dw2121
31-10-13, 16:00
Many Thanks for your post fishmanpa, i have had Heart Attack Anxiety for around 5 or more years now, to the point where i had to ring for a Ambulance whilst driving home from work as i was convinced i was having a HA, guess what happened everything was absolutely normal.

I believe because i've suffered a panic attack, ive planted a seed in my mind which now tells me i'm destined to have a heart attack at some point in my life, i mainly get them when driving on motorways, or walking alone.

This was under control for the last 3 years but unfortunately in the last month has reared its ugly head once more but your post has given me a boost.

This time round with my anxiety im able to fight my mind and calm myself down so i haven't had a full blown Panic Attack but the anxiety is there still.

rsanchez
04-11-13, 08:57
thanks for the post, reassuring to know you will recognize when it is actually a heart attack