PDA

View Full Version : anxiety medication for asthma sufferers

ellie_C_mason1990
27-10-13, 18:56
Hi everyone
When I am excessively tired or hungover I get horrible anxiety symptoms (chest tightness, difficulty breathing) that even anti depressants don't help. My anxiety is generally now quite managable apart from these occasions, which I find terrifying. When I initially went to the doctors at the beginning of my anxiety problems, they told me I couldn't have beta blockers as I have asthma as they interfere with asthma meds. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any meds that are appropriate for asthma suffers that I can ask the doctor about, for short term relief of anxiety?

Emphyrio
31-10-13, 13:13
You could ask for diazepam - while doctors are reluctant to prescribe it for fear of addiction, if you only took it very occasionally - like no more than once a week, then the doctor may give you a few.

Have you considered natural relaxants? While its effects are very subtle, I have found relief taking chamomile tea. Its very cheap but it does take the edge off any physical symptoms. Try two bags in a mug and cover the top of the mug to prevent the oils from evaporating. Make sure you give the bags a good squeeze with a spoon to release more of the oils before you drink it. I enjoy the taste of it but you can add sugar or honey if needed.

ellie_C_mason1990
31-10-13, 16:33
Yes I remember them before saying they were reluctant to give diazepam~! hmm I have never actually tried chamomile tea, and I know of the great power of tea. I always make a cup of green tea when I am anxious and it seems to help a little bit, so perhaps chamomile will be even better.
thanks so much for the tips :)