PDA

View Full Version : New here - hello

ellsbells136
27-10-13, 20:33
Hi - a friend has recommended this site to me and I thought I would give it a go.

My diagnosis of panic disorder has taken a few months. Originally was diagnosed with labyrinthitis. Had a major dizzy spell whilst driving down a dual carriageway on my way to work one morning, and that was it really. At some point, I think the dizzy spells became panic attacks, but I can't be sure when this actually happened.

Things have got a lot worse over the past month - my "attacks" just appear to come out of nowhere, but generally when I'm driving (I have now stopped!), or when I'm in crowded or noisy places, although I can be sat quietly watching tv and one will just start. Mine start in my stomach - it's almost like a huge knot that just builds and builds and then my heart starts to beat fast, I get pins and needles in my hands, and I tremble uncontrollably. They generally last about 5-10 minutes, but I then feel absolutely worn out for the rest of the day, and also incredibly emotional.

I have now gone back to the doctor and he has prescribed beta-blockers and referred me for CBT. I'm incredibly nervous on taking medication, but it is making my life a misery and I am now in the place of trying anything.

I have been reading through some of the posts and have already picked up a few bits that I have been doing wrong - I am a bit of a caffeine addict, so am now going to cut back on my caffeine intake. I have also found that surrounding myself with friends is good for me, but invariably always leads to a few glasses of wine. Having read on here that the after effects of alcohol can bring on a panic attack seems to add up as well.

Pleased to meet you all anyway.

Greg17
27-10-13, 20:46
Welcome, EllsBells. I know you'll find some good support here!

It sounds like you've been going through a difficult time, but it also sounds like you are doing the right things by going to your doctor and looking at what you're consuming. It also sounds like you have a good support network, which is really helpful :)

I have pretty much kicked caffeine entirely from my diet and feel good for doing it. I am drinking decaf tea and not noticing the difference, so no huge loss. See if cutting down has any impact for you.

I hope you find the support you are looking for here, there are some awesome people on here and great resources :)

ellsbells136
27-10-13, 21:50
Thank you Greg. I just want to feel some normality back in my life. It's a constant struggle at the mo

Greg17
27-10-13, 22:16
Again, you're amongst friends and we all feel it, I am sure! Hang in there, and you'll come out the other end :)