PDA

View Full Version : how long will these pains last??

JR
06-10-03, 00:21
I get shotting pains in the legs, and arms. I get the tight chest, sharp pains just under the chest. If I feel ok mentally, why do these pains persist?? I feel something in head all the time, like a mixture of dizzy\light headed? Sensitive to light. When I excersise, all I think about is"oh no, excersisng is going to make my heart beat fast"? So i avoid it sometime.It's a very annoying thing, I wonder if a prescription could help some of these physical symptoms. I haven't had a panic attack for at least a month, but I still expireince alot of symptoms. I'm not undersatanding this, doctors and hospitals tell me i'm fine, well why are these symptoms still here then. Please help guys!!!!

sarah
06-10-03, 17:50
Hi Jr
I was exactly the same as you when i first started panicking. I constantly had all the symptoms for a few months even though i wasnt always panicking. Gradually the symptoms wore off as i think i was getting so used to them that one day i suddenly realised i didnt have constant chest pains etc. I still get them very ccasoinally but i know what they are and they dont frighten me anymore so they dont last long. Best thing you can do if you get chest pains is roll your shoulders round a bit and stretch your arms as this will stretch and relax the chest muscles that are tightening because of the anxiety.(and swimming is good for you too).See your doctor if you want to try medication as some meds can help you on the road to recovery.
Hope you feel better soon
Sarah

Meg
06-10-03, 18:42
Hi JR,

Betablockers will help with pounding heart BUT do you really need them. Sounds like you're doing fine yourself.

All of what Sarah says is great - stretch +++ - go to a yoga class.

The symptoms are still there simply because they've learnt to be - it takes time for new neural pathways in the brain to be formed.

As you're still giving yourself negative - 'Oh no ...etc ' messages you're still encouraging your body to be anxious and produce the enzymes that go with stress- thus perpetuating the symptoms too. Exercise is really good for you - it strengthens your heart muscles as well as using up the stress enzymes brilliantly. Do not avoid it.

Well done for your progress to date. Keep it going.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...