PDA

View Full Version : flying

grace
08-07-04, 23:03
hi everyone,
this year we had decided to drive to turkey for our summer holidays, we've done it before and its better than flying for me.
my husband has just tonight told me that because we are short staffed in our shop we dont have the time to drive and will have to fly.
omg omg omg.
i have just had a bath with oils in because i am already anxious about the flight which we havent even booked yet.
i printed off the info off here to read in the bath which made me worse.
i was trying to think what i was most scared of and apart from being closed in and crashing and there not being enough air for everyone i think that im worried cos i've been having chest pains (which i know are due to anxiety and smoking) and i think im going to have a heart attack on the plane....
i know its stupid, i know im not going to. but i know when i get on the plane i'll be thinking about if the stewards are medically trained and if they can save me....
i am such a baby i could slap myself

xxx grace

sarah
09-07-04, 00:58
hiya Grace

Believe me you arent a baby. I think I could guarantee that almost all of us on here feel the same way as you do flying so you arent alone there. My husband keeps pushing to go on holiday and I cant set a date even tho I managed Ibiza last october with no problems (even tho I was in a right old state before I went).

The best I can suggest - which worked for me is .....

Personal Stereo with a relaxation tape playing non stop
A hard puzzle book to really concentrate on
Bottle of water
Rescue Remedy
Couple of emergency diazepam
Really comfy clothes - dress in layers so you can peel off if you get hot and anxious.

I hope this helps :)

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

sal
09-07-04, 06:31
Hi Grace

You are not a baby at all. Even people who dont suffer anxiety get really chewed over flying. Stick with Sarah's advice. I know it sounds really hard but you can do it. I got really anxious about flying when i went away with Sam but took a diazepam and got through it.

I always imagine that ill get a massive attack and be like a mad woman on the plane. But in reality it is just us working overtime.

I am sure you will be fine, and we are here to support you.

Love Sal xxxx

grace
09-07-04, 08:16
hi sarah and sal,
thanks so much, your both so nice. i was really anxious last night, not too bad today but we'll see when it comes to booking the flights:).
what does diazepam do? what are the side effects? im interested cos ive heard them mentioned a lot but am really scared of meds and not sure if it'll make me panic more

xxx grace

hazel
09-07-04, 10:16
Hi Grace,

I am terrified of flying also. I've put off doing it for ages although I don't know why because the last time I flew I didn't panic and was really pleased with myself. I had to fly to Gran Canaria for a job so I went to the doctors and got some valium and took one (the only time I have taken medication) and I too was scared about taking it but it was fine. I also did one of those British Airways courses for people scared of flying. They are quite expensive but really work, although I wuld lke to do another one. I would definately fly again if I had to, I've just been putting it off a bit. Good Luck!!

grace
09-07-04, 11:25
hi hazel,

thanks, im going to try and get on the same flight as my mam and sister, i think if there are lots of us i wont have time to panic. i know when i get off the plane i will think that wasnt so bad, i think its just the anticipation and if i have my anti panic kit with me i should be ok..... hopefully!

xxx grace

EMMA
09-07-04, 15:35
Hi Grace,

We're going to Mauritius for our honeymoon in 3 weeks time. Now flying has never bothered me at all, I actually enjoy it. But since I've started this panic and anxiety I'm scared of sitting on a plane for 10 hours. We went to Barcelona a couple of weeks back for my hen weekend and I had terrible panic and anxiety on the plane. I had to come home the next day! To get me back on the plane had to go to local hospital and they gave me diazepam. It worked a treat. I took it just before boarding the plane and I fell asleep. Now that was only a two hour flight. But I am dreading this 10 hour flight. But I am definitely going! I shall take a supply of Diazepam, rescue remedy and a pile of magazines to read. Hopefully that should do the trick.

Good luck for your trip. If there is a lot of you then keep talking to them to distract you. Just remember it's just like sitting on a bus or a train but you are in the air. You'll be fine. Look forward to the relaxing holiday you will have once you get there.

Take care

Emma xx

Meg
09-07-04, 16:03
Hi Grace,

Diazepam - valium will take the edge of the anxiety and make you calm or sleepy depends on how much you take.

Meg

grace
09-07-04, 18:28
hi emma,

thats what i do, pretend im on a bus. but i have to sit near the isle and my husband has to sit next to me otherwise i feel trapped. also i have a reccuring vision of a ball of fire coming down the isle, i dont know why i must have seen it on a film or something, but thats a bit scary aswell.
i keep telling myself off for being so stupid, i hate not being able to cope with things.
i have just by chance found an old affirmation book that i used to carry around with me. i think i will do some of that, i will also check out my bach flower remedies to see if there are any i can take before i go, maybe to get rid of old thought patterns or something....
i might also stay up all night the night before so that i am that tired i just fall asleep.

xxx grace

grace
09-07-04, 18:32
hi meg,

what are the side effects of it? thats what im really scared of with meds.also that if ive never taken it before what if i have an adverse reaction to it....... i know my mind works overtime and talks rubbish but i cant help listening to it, i wish i could shut it up....

xxx grace

Tessie28
09-07-04, 21:16
Hi Grace,

it is always nice to know there are other people out there who hate to fly - it is sooooo un -natural that flying.

the website scaredofflying.com is really good and Captain Keith will answer any technical worries you have. On the way back from the states a few months ago I spent the whole flight playing blackjack on the computer - I can tell you I was getting good after 8 hours LOL. good luck,
love Tess x

twister
09-07-04, 21:49
Hi Grace

Valium (Diazepam) is one of the safest drugs around as long as you dont take it on a regular basis (its addictive). My physiciatrist told me that is a really safe drug. I swear by it when i fly - I would never get on a plane otherwise but a couple of Valium and I almost enjoy it!

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

pips
09-07-04, 21:53
Hi Grace,

I understand totally how you feel. I am going to Canada in August and I have a 10hr flight there and think its 13 on the way back AAARRRGGGHHH! Like yourself I don't want to get ill one the plain i suffer with IBS so that makes me more anxious!
I think you feel just as bad as if you dont go though! You can't win really hey!

Anyway most of the advice is covered I think stay positive though you can do it! Good luck and all the best!

Love PIP'SXX

grace
09-07-04, 21:59
hi tess

thanks for that, i'll try that website and see what its like.
i printed off the stuff off here on flying last night to read in the bath but it just made me worse.
i think last night i was feeling pretty anxious cos all this time we've been gonna drive there and i was happy about that and now we have to fly and i have to face the aeroplane again....

my husband said today that when we come back from turkey we're going to america. we have friends there who have invited us loads of times but we dont go cos of me, which really isnt fair on the kids who want to go. hubby said that our friend phoned him and said they have booked us and them into some resort for a week so we have no choice now cos he's paid for it,we have to go. and i sound like a spoilt brat cos i should be jumping up and down with excitment but all i can think is 8hours on a plane
i think maybe if i'm ok going to turkey it might soften the blow of the long journey to america, what do you think?

xxx grace

grace
09-07-04, 22:07
hi pips,

yes your right, i know i have to do it. but im just such a wimp:)
i know im going to have a great time, that when i get off the plane i'll think well that wasnt too bad, but i'm still anxious.
i might stay up the night before and get drunk in the airport

xxx grace

grace
09-07-04, 22:32
hi emily,

thanks for the info, i think that would help me but im just so scared of taking them.
i have iron tablets in the cupboard that i dont take cos i'm worried about what the side effects are, even though i know its only costipation, in my head its gonna be something really bad that the doctors havent heard of yet.
i'm a lost cause i think :)

xxx grace

Lilith
10-07-04, 11:40
Hi, Grace! I agree with Emily 100% about the diazepam. I was never afraid of flying until I started with the panic/anxiety, and then I was absolutely terrified to get on a plane. It's not the flying that scares me. It's being locked in that little plane and little seat with no way out that triggers the panic. (The first time I tried to explain this to my husband, I said "I'm not afraid of flying - I'm afraid of being in here with the door closed." He looked confused and said "Would you rather they fly the plane with the door open?" LOL.)

I take a small amount of Xanax (about .5 or .75mg) and it's all I need to fly comfortably. It completely takes the anxiety away. I just have to make sure I take it at least 45 minutes before boarding the plane. I'm hoping someday I'll be able to get on a plane without it, but for now I'm not going to beat myself up over something I really need.

Oh, and don't drink for relaxation on the plane! I had my WORST EVER panic attack after consuming 3 beers, (it was on a boat, not a plane) which I drank because I felt the anxiety coming on and thought they would relax me. The panic came anyway, and being drunk made it much worse. I think it's the lack of control that's intensified with alcohol, at a time when you most need to feel IN control.

You're not a baby at all. Like Sal said, fear of flying is something that even lots of non-anxious people suffer from. Good luck!

EMMA
10-07-04, 13:16
When you take Diazepam you feel like you've had ten pints! And the effects of it are instant. I was so panicky and anxious in Barcelona that my friends had to take me to the hospital. They gave me Diazepam and within seconds I was as calm as anything. I had another one before getting on the plane and I fell asleep. You don't get any side effects from them and so long as you don't take them all the time you won't get addicted to them.

I've been having to take them for the last two weeks because I've started on anti-depressants and needed the diazepam to stop the initial side effects. I was worried about getting addicted to them but I haven't felt the need for them today.

So don't worry about taking them. And don't do what I do and read the leaflet with all the side effects. I used to get anxious about taking things because I read into them too much. But my motto is that if you don't try them then you will still feel the same. Doctors wouldn't prescribe them if they thought they were dangerous.

You'll be fine. I'm getting anxious about my honeymoon but I'm definitely going. It will be the longest flight I've been on. The longest I've done is 4 and a half hours to Cyprus and I get bored after that length of time. This time it's 10! I'm just going to have to sleep!

carlin
10-07-04, 13:48
Hi Grace, i,m off to minorca for 2 weeks next friday, that,s if i can get on the plane, had major panic on journey home last year, should be looking forward but so frightened. I got hypnotised yesterday as a last attempt to find something or someone to help me, i tried diazepam the other day but it did not agree with me, but by best friend swears by it. I too, am terrified of taking any medications because of the side effects, i get dizzy all the time anyway, so i don't want to get any worse. I tried to print this page off last night so i could read it on the plane, but my printer decided to go on strike any encouragement would be soo appreciated, i sound very self centred but i don't want to let anyone down, they are all looking forward to it so much, as i should be. thank goodness i can let off steam hear look forward to any advice

grace
10-07-04, 15:18
hi everyone,
thanks for the replies.

lilith,
thats a big problem for me being locked in, unlike you i love being on a boat even if we're shut in a cabin. i think cos i know i can go on deck if i want.
i wont be drinking, that was just panic talking. i know it makes me much more anxious.

emma
hows your new anti depressants, are you feeling any better? i hope so.
as for reading the side effects of diazepam.... too late i already looked it up and there's no way i can take them. i just have to give myself a shake and sort myself out.

carlin
dont feel self centred at all. in fact your just what i need...
when i lived in turkey i had to travel to uk on my own to renew my visa,i was terrified but there was no option. when i got on the plane there was an old turkish woman sat next to me, it was her first time flying and she was really scared. i spent the journey making sure she was ok and forgot about myself.
so lets sort out a plan of action together......

xxx grace

carlin
10-07-04, 17:16
Hi Grace and everyone, I wish I could take you lot on the plane with me, what a sight that would be, no seriously, it's such a relief when people understand, i have a wonderful family who support me, but their lives must continue as normal, which is good, but my life is, at present one big panic attack. have suffered for 15 years and tried every remedy on offer, including drugs, legal ones of course, and alcohol, you name it, am at present at my worse if i get on this holiday and survive the plane journey, i will be grateful, how can you not look forward to something so special. I feel like the gandma on this site, and i'm on 49 feeling more like 99. I would love to help and be helped, even reading about sitting in the plane scared me to death, and honestly i am not afraid of flying just afraid of being afraid on the plane, if in all honesty the plane went down we would know anything about it how i sound like an 'old biddy' what do you mean i am an old biddy. I bet i'm not laughing on friday morning when they announce my flight at stansted airport.

carlin
10-07-04, 17:41
P.S. I don't know if i'm supposed to come onto this site evrytime i have something to say - not that good at computors, but i am going to be sensible - after all these years of panic - depression - anxiety dizzyness, diareah, you name it i have never collapsed or done any of the things we all dread happening to us - talk about tempting fate, please do not let this friday be the day that i'm proved wrong - excuse the spelling mistakes - you can tell that mrs. saddo is on her own this afternoon.

Lilith
14-07-04, 15:56
Hi, Carlin. Hey, if you're an old biddy at 49, then I guess I'm one too, at 47! I think it's okay for you to post whenever you have something to say. After all, writing it and getting responses helps you, and reading your posts helps others with the same feelings. How did the hypnotism go? It's something I've always wanted to try, but wasn't too sure about. I think it's a good idea to print out these pages. I find reading and rereading everyone's suggestions and commiseration to be very comforting indeed.

Good luck on Friday!

carlin
14-07-04, 20:55
Hi lilith and thanks, the hypnotherapy seems to have helped so far, do'nt want to tempt fate. this will have been my second session, it's very expensive, but hey, if it works - i'll see what happens on friday - feel quite calm at present please let it last - am trying to feel positive - so want to enjoy our holiday - the kids are excited hubby is too and at present am actually looking forward to going myself. i'll post again tommorow and see if my feelings have changed. thanks everyone for being so patient with me, it does help have now got my personal cd player, with lots of rod stewart cd's and whatever else i can think of to distract me from sitting in taht tiny seat all closed in on dear i'm sure i'll cope

Paula
29-05-05, 14:00
Hi everyone - new girl on the block:D

I am claustrophobic and am going on my first flight ever next week, am I scared NOOOOOOOOOO I am petrified.

My doctor has given me valium 2mg will they do the job.

Also she said I had a choice of valium or beta blockers but as I heard of valium and knew they are meant to calm I opted for that rather than beta blockers. Has anyone tried either of this things and do they work.

Any other advice from claustrophobic on air travel will be greatly appreciated. What happens if you have a massive panic attack and try to open the door. Help please

nomorepanic
29-05-05, 14:09
Hi Paula

Welcome aboard the forum.

I am not a great lover of flying - I used to do it but then when I got panic attacks I started to hate it and became very claustrophobic like you.

The valium will help as it will calm you and has a slight sedative effect so try avoid drinking as well.

Take some things to distract you - puzzle books, mags and even a CD player with a relaxation tape to listen to. Take some food to eat and a bottle of water to drink. Have you heard of Rescue Remedy? That can be sipped in water and will help with the anxiety.

I found that I never had a panic attack on the plane just got very anxious.

They will NEVER allow you to open the doors so don't worry about that. You will be stopped before you got near them but I am sure you won't want to open the doors once you are up there.

Just keep yourself occupied and you will be fine ok?

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

Nicola

florence
29-05-05, 14:22
Hi Paula

Welcome to the forum.
I had my first flight last october and I was terrified, I took diazepam 5mg just before and it took the edge off....so yeah it helps a lot.
Once above the clouds, I felt much better, happy and enjoyed the view . Best experience in my life.[8D]
Hope you enjoy it and have a great time wherever you're going.

Its normal to worry in advance, because you haven't had the experience , but I can reassure you that the fear beforehand is much more uncomfortable than being in the plane itself.Hope that helps.
Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

Paula
29-05-05, 16:17
Thanks for the replies Nicola and Florence.

Do you know the difference between beta blockers and valium i.e. what do you think would be more effective in preventing panic.

Also how long before the flight should I take the valium, how long does it take to take effect.

florence
29-05-05, 18:11
Hi Paula

I can't really say which is best, I have never taken beta blokers.
Valium usually acts within 20 minutes, its pretty quick. If you take it half an hour before, I am sure that will be long enough.
Hey you 'll be fine....If I did it , then you can do it too. :)

Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

Meg
29-05-05, 18:26
Beta blockers chemically slow down your heart so you cannot take more than teh stated dose whereas with Valium its calms you and if you are delayed you can top it up[.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sal
30-05-05, 02:22
Hi Grace

I totally understand how you feel with regard to the locked in feeling It is hard but we can do it hun.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.