PDA

View Full Version : How long do blood test results take?

Button1
27-10-13, 23:51
Hi everyone,

I had some blood taken as part of routine pregnancy screening on Tuesday morning. My HA makes me terrified of going to the docs and especially of tests , I almost didn't get these bloods done but obviously I have to be conscious that I have more than my own issues to think about now.

I was just wondering whether I would have heard by now if they had spotted anything serious?

Iona

nomorepanic
27-10-13, 23:57
Anything up to a week but I had some on Wednesday last week and they were back by Friday!

You should call and ask if all ok

eastofeden
28-10-13, 01:57
They usually say 7 full days but I usually get them back after 4-5 working days. depends how big your town is and how busy the labs are.

Button1
28-10-13, 08:26
So I might not be out of the woods yet then?

roxy90
28-10-13, 10:54
Oh if there wae anything serious you would have been called right away they wouldnt wait til they were back at the surgery x

Petesy
28-10-13, 11:25
Hi Button1

I'm just back from getting LFT U&E and GLUCOSE, the nurse told me the doctors say a week but it's actually 2 to 3 days and here's me always waiting the full week too, and Roxy90 is right if it was serious they wouldn't hang about.

I wish u all the best, hope your results are normal :-)

Button1
30-10-13, 13:19
well it's now Wednesday, a full 8 days since the bloods were taken (almost to the hour) and 5 full working days.

I'm desperately hoping that I would have heard anything by now and that they wouldn't wait to tell me anything- I'm assuming they'd act more quickly than normal because I am pregnant?

Fishmanpa
30-10-13, 13:20
Rather than sit and worry about it, pick up the phone and call :)

Good Luck!

Button1
30-10-13, 13:28
I know that's the logical thing but I just don't have the courage- the last time I did this I had slightly low iron and went into full meltdown (even though the receptionist said it only required a routine doctors appointment). I just can't do that at the moment.

nomorepanic
30-10-13, 13:42
Sometimes they forget to call and let you know things are ok as well

My doc was supposed to call with my blood tests results and I know they are in but she hasn't called yet.

If she doesn't call then I will have to go and see her but that means a 3 week wait for an appointment.

Go on give them a call then you will know one way or the other.

Don't you have a results line you can call as well?

Button1
30-10-13, 13:49
They don't call to tell you everything is ok at my surgery- it's a no news is good news policy. They only call when something needs quick attention (this happened last time I was pregnant and had a UTI, they called me after 2 days to say that my urine showed bugs).

WE do have a results line but as I said to Fishmanpa, I just really do have a block on making the call. I'm trying to avoid putting myself into situations I know will cause me high levels of anxiety as I want to protect the baby. My 1 year old isn't very well at the moment and that's about as much worry as I can handle...

nomorepanic
30-10-13, 15:34
Well mine are slightly different cos the results depended on whether they would change some medication or not so she said she would call but hasn't.

Ok well I guess you assume all is ok and no problems in your case then which is good.