PDA

View Full Version : Jobcentre question

Emphyrio
30-10-13, 13:37
Hello,

I am coming to the end of my degree (which has been a struggle) and once I finish and hand everything in I will probably have to sign on to receive jobseeker's allowance. I would like to get a job that's not going to exacerbate my anxiety etc - the question is - how can I explain my situation to the jobcentre?

My issues are:

- Depression (I'm getting this under control)
- General Anxiety Disorder - I worry about things, but I also have physical symptoms like tense muscles, rapid heart rate etc - this comes and goes with no obvious trigger.
- Pure 'O' OCD - revolves around violent thoughts.
- Some social anxiety - fear of criticism, dislike interacting with people I don't really know.

I also have some physical symptoms such as brain fog, fatigue, 'visual snow', poor concentration etc. I have found it a struggle to get through my degree - sometimes just managing an hour a day.

My question is - how do I explain all my physical and mental issues to the staff at the jobcentre? I have no issues with working - in fact I think it would help with some of my anxieties etc - but I really don't think I could do a full time job at the moment, and even then, there are a lot of jobs that at present I would find really difficult. My visual/brain fog issues also mean that I take longer to use a computer (my previous full time job was computer-intensive).

Thanks everyone :)

t0rt01se36
30-10-13, 16:52
You can fill in an online form to claim Job Seeker's Allowance. On that form, I'm sure it asks about health issues.

If you start signing on, make sure you ask for a Disability Employment Advisor. The jobcentre will contact a DEA and you will have to wait a matter of a week or so (estimated) to see one.

debs71
30-10-13, 18:42
I would agree with t0rt0ise36. I would be very, very crystal clear and up front with them from the off as to what kind of work you are physically and mentally able todo and what is out of the question.

Do NOT be bullied by them.

I unfortunately have not had pleasant experiences with the Job Centre as far as my anxiety is concerned. I informed them from the start that I had to resign from my job as a nurse due to what I described to them as 'stress related health issues.

Frankly, I did not feel at the time it was their business to know my specific problems, but in retrospect this was a mistake.

From the start, all they tried to do was get me to accept nursing positions. I had already told them that was not an option, and would defeat the object of resigning in the first place. I was more than willing to work in ANY other position where I could work 9-5 instead of 12 hr shifts, where I could transfer my skills, and I was applying for any and all work - public service, shop, cafes, you name it all to no avail.

This all fell on deaf ears. When I was getting really desperate due to their constant bullying, I found a job on their system (when you have to sign on, you have to go to those stand-things that display jobs on their system before hand) which was cleaning toilets in an office block.

When I took the job info to the desk to sign, the staff member told me I was 'lowering myself, too skilled for that job, and to forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

The icing on the cake for me was when I was literally shouted at by a staff member for not attending a 1 day computer skills course due to illness (I had phoned to let them know I could not attend) which brought me to tears right there in the Job Centre.

I dropped my claim the following day, after 5 months of claiming, deciding I simply was not prepared to be treated like shit anymore - like a job-shirking hypochondriac after paying tax for over 20 years.

Since then I have been working for myself, selling clothing online, making peanuts, but also doing so with far more dignity than the Job Centre allowed me.

I truly, truly hope your experience is better than mine, Emphyrio, and I certainly don't want to put you off claiming, but I would be up front about everything and put them right in the picture from the off, and if that means taking letters from your GP to confirm your conditions, do so.

They basically will pressure and bully ANYONE they think they can get away with, whereas anyone who digs their heels in and stands up to them (like many who attend that place for years on end) they back down.

Don't be pressured by anyone, and try to stand your ground hun.

gypcyg
30-10-13, 19:35
I wasn't going to post on this thread as I only had negative things to say about jobcentre staff but I have to agree with Debs71's post that they truly are bullies and of no help whatsoever.

Unfortunately I don't think telling them the full details of your anxiety will make the slightest difference. If you are not fit to work then they will suggest that you apply for a different benefit. As it is when you sign on you are agreeing that you are available for full time work. You must remember that jobcentre staff get harried themselves to get people off benefits (I think there is a bonus system in place but I may be wrong).

Personally I would lie to them, I would make out that I am looking everywhere for a job, I would ask their advice and lick their boots but really I would be looking for a job that suits me - I call it playing the game/system.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Emphyrio
31-10-13, 12:22
Thanks for the replies.

If I sign on at the jobcentre is it really the case that they think I'm capable of full time employment? I ask because I've heard horror stories about people who failed their ATOS medical assessment because the assessor believed that they could do some kind of employment.

Even if this is the case - being capable of some kind of work does not equal being able to work 35 hours a week in a call centre or shop does it? I know that I'd capable of some kind of work - but at the moment, I would find it a struggle to work full time.

Will the jobcentre staff recognise this? If I did apply for disability allowance I know that I would fail if I was entirely truthful!