PDA

View Full Version : Cut finger, worried about infection

Scaredy_Cat
30-10-13, 12:53
Hello,

I know that this is my HA, but that niggling little 'what if?' won't leave me alone again, so please could I get someone's thoughts on this?

I have just sliced my finger with some scissors. I washed it with cold water and soap (my hot water isn't working atm), sprayed some antiseptic wash on it, then covered it with a plaster. I'm still, however, worried that I'm going to get an infection from it. And my brain isn't picking a minor infection to worry about (that would be far too easy!), but rather, I'm now worried I may get septicemia.

I know that I cleaned it after I cut it, but I'm worried about the germs that were already on my hand before the cut, and the germs that were on the scissors. I'm also worried about something getting in it between now and the time it heals.

Is this all health anxiety, or should I be worried?

becksfan86
30-10-13, 12:58
You will be fine :) It's covered now and you done everything to clean it off, it is anxiety x

MRS STRESS ED
30-10-13, 13:00
I would say as long as you keep it clean and covered you be fine im always cutting myself im a cook I don't worry ,sounds like your ha is causing you to worry im sure you will be fine :)

Scaredy_Cat
30-10-13, 13:05
Thanks guys :) My family are really getting sick of me bugging them about this stuff, so it's nice to have reassurance from others :)

becksfan86
30-10-13, 13:06
No problem xx

Magic
30-10-13, 13:18
You have done the right thing scardy. I cannot tell you how many times I have cut myself by accident, its just anxiety that kicks in.:hugs:

Scaredy_Cat
30-10-13, 13:40
Thanks, Magic :) I know, I keep trying to tell myself 'people cut themselves by accident all the time, and they're fine!'. Then Health Anxiety goes ... 'yeah, but what about...' and 'what if...'
Argh! Think I just need to think of my HA as some random drunk guy chatting a load of rubbish :P Just shake my head at it and move on!