PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol or caffeine trigger?

hallam
30-10-13, 14:15
Hi,

has anyone else experienced adverse side effects after consuming alcohol?

I had a pretty heavy weekend, and on the Monday in work drank a very strong coffee first thing. This was three days ago now and have been feeling very anxious and on the verge of a panic attack since. It has also made me feel a bit teary and unable to relax my muscles.

Has anyone else had experience with this? Did anything help?

Greg17
30-10-13, 15:21
Hi Hallam,

I can only speak from my experience, but yes Alcohol particularly intensifies my anxieties. if you are already prone to anxiety, then this will have the effect of amplifying them.

Personally I have kicked both, which is likely a bit extreme (I'm a bit of an all or nothing personality!), but you might want to look at moderating your intake where possible.

greg

ankietyjoe
30-10-13, 15:34
Alcohol is a depressant and caffeine is a stimulant.

It really is best to avoid both if you suffer from anxiety.

hallam
30-10-13, 19:32
Cheers guys, definitely kicking the caffeine full stop and reducing alcohol considerably!

Last few days haven't been pleasant!

Beagle
04-11-13, 12:43
Hi

I am coming to the same decision about both caffeine and alcohol. I am reducing my alcohol (harder said than done, as I use it as a coping mechanism) but have cut caffeine out apart from the very odd occasion.

One word of warning though. Do not go cold turkey off caffeine. I tried that and felt so very, very, ill! It was like having flu and a migraine combined. Reduce your intake over a few days.

Broken-doll
04-11-13, 18:53
I find both alcohol and caffeine terrible triggers for my anxiety. And I know it's difficult attempting a night out without alchohol, but it really isn't worth it..for the way it makes you feel the next day. I can just about manage one or two with a meal... But I think personally until the anxiety is on the mend it really isn't worth touching the stuff! :)

luci
04-11-13, 19:25
I don't drink coffee but I went tee total 4 months ago, alcohol intensifies my anxiety to a ridiculous level and I can feel depressed/agoraphobic for up to a week after..... definitely worth avoiding!