PDA

View Full Version : Scared I will die from literally anything!

Earthmum
30-10-13, 18:24
Hi guys are there any of you health anxiety sufferers who avoid normal day to day tasks in fear of " dying" from doing it? Sounds ridiculous but I have a fear of developing a fatal allergy from foods, hair dyes, local anasthetic from the dentist, face and body creams etc etc this is exhausting I have suffered HA for 17 years but never to this extent this has got worse in the last year or so, can someone tell me if they suffer this extreme case of health anxiety please?
I think reading a news article on a lady who had drank a bottle of water in her hotel room and dying triggered this off, basically it was cleaning fluid in her bottle and not water, sounds mad but I can only pin point it to that reading the article and being horrified and I know how rare that can happen but I now fear drinks,food, and everything else, what can I do to get rid of these ridiculous fears, I don't show my partner or children my fears first of all I don't want to induce anxiety in my kids so I act all strong and confident but really I'm crumbling from this horrid disorder, is there anyone the same out there?

MRS STRESS ED
30-10-13, 19:20
hi I was exactly the same last year I was frightened of everything and I mean everything ,I hardly left the house ,I couldn't get out of bed most days its were I felt safe, this went on for months ,one day my son made me get up and told me he wanted me to go the doctors and get some help ,best thing he ever done I went got the help I needed had cbt put me on medication I felt loads better ,and don't get me wrong its been along hard road and I still have my bad days ,but you can do it takes a lot of energy but im not giving up anxiety isn't going to win :D

Earthmum
30-10-13, 20:10
Thank you for your reply! So good to hear that you are a lot better, I know I need to get to the docs too but I don't really want to be taking medication I'm trying to take the natural approach first by doing Yoga & Meditation and see if that can help ease the worries, if obviously it doesn't get better then I will have to take something :unsure:
I'm glad I'm not alone and I'm so pleased I have found this site, The support on here is incredible and I'm hoping by knowing I'm not alone ,I can maybe deal with these fears a lot better, thank you again !!!

Col
30-10-13, 20:14
Yep some of what U describe especially the hair dye - I've had cant help laughing in a way how much the anxiety takes over and seriously makes you soooooo irrational.

I'm due in a few weeks 3rd baby - can u imagine how scared I am about labour , pain relief & complications ect I've gone through every horrific death scenario in my head. Unbelievable. An awful feeling x

bab
30-10-13, 20:32
Yep this could be me writing this.. Food allergies, medication allergies, dentist, blood tests,funny smells, as col says im due at the same time and labour/pain relief, being pregnant generally, eyebrows tinted, I could go on xx

Earthmum
31-10-13, 05:54
Thanks ladies! I can assure you ( I'm great in giving assurance to others 😳)
That you will be just fine in labour, and all will go will go well, positive thoughts to you both!
But this is such a lonely road especially when others do not understand mind you I don't tell anyone my fears what's the point if someone is not going through the same emotions its very hard for them to empathise !
I live abroad and there is no support system here, and there are no counsellors just doctors of Psychology, so I'm pleased I can have a read through this forum or have a chat with others alike when I feel like I'm going to have an
Anaphylactic shock from watching the TV!!!:D

jillyb
31-10-13, 06:59
I know exactly how you feel and it's exhausting. I have a 'safe' list and find it really difficult to take/use things that are not on it. However, I am improving!! For 10 years I wouldn't eat anything with nuts in case I had a reaction but, with the help of CBT, I now eat nuts and never even think about it. I have been able to use a different toothpaste, shampoo, face cream etc. it's all about trying to rationalise your thinking. Of course, being like us we always think we will be the 'one'. It really is the only way to overcome it. For example, the local anaesthetic fear ... my brother in law is a dentist, even so I get mega anxious, but I try and work out the probability by thinking how long has he been in practice, how many injections has he given, how many has he lost = none! I find it difficult with meds, actually impossible! (20 years to even take a paracetamol). It's not easy I know, but if you can, try and get some help now before it takes over your life. It's this 'living with uncertainty' that's a problem for anxiety sufferers. Somehow we need to be able to do this, but it's soooooo hard. Take care x

Earthmum
31-10-13, 10:00
I avoid nuts like the plague, and I don't change my creams and mascara type etc just in case I get a reaction of some sort...
Yes, everything you said I can relate too... Thanks for your support!:winks:

bab
31-10-13, 10:02
I avoid nut, shellfish etc even though im not allergic. New perfume make up etc, medication ... the list goes on - im so hyper vigilant . good to know others are the same