PDA

View Full Version : ENT referal - TERRIFIED

Honeynut
30-10-13, 19:00
I've been referred to an ENT after a doctors appointment yesterday in regards to my tonsils. They are quite large, one side bigger than the other, and are full of white spots. Tbh I don't get a lot of throat infections, only really had one bout of tonsillitis over the last three years but the dr said how they are too big and even though they don't cause me any breathing or swallowing issues, I should be referred and they will remove them.

I am TERRIFIED to say the least. I absolutely do not want them removed unless it is life or death because I've read nothing but horror stories about how incredibly painful an adult tonsillectomy is. I've spent the last two days in floods of tears and I feel completely unable to cope at the thought of a removal.

Because I've been referred will they definitely take them out or can they just deal with the swelling? I was hoping an ENT could just tell me it wasn't anything serious and I'm not dying of tonsil cancer like I imagine I am.

I will not be able to make it through the recovery, my body doesn't heal itself very well and I have a very small pain threshold on top of extreme panic attacks. I really am looking for help right now. I'm a complete mess.

Fishmanpa
30-10-13, 19:16
Hi Honeynut,

When I saw your screen name, all I can think of is Honeynut Cheerios which is one of my favorite breakfast cereals :)

The white spots you're referring to are tonsil stones. They're pretty nasty little buggers and are indicative of tonsil issues.

I've had both my palatine tonsils and lingual tonsils removed due to oral cancer and biopsies. Unfortunately, there's not much I can write here that will set your mind at ease. You've heard right concerning tonsillectomies as an adult. It sucks big time but you start to feel better and turn the corner in about two weeks.

See what the ENT has to say and take it from there. If you do end up having to have them removed, post a note and I'll shoot you some info that will help you get through it.

Good Luck!