PDA

View Full Version : My story (so far...)

Soul Fire
30-10-13, 20:03
Evening all,

I'm not sure where to start really but I would love to share my story with you. You might want to grab a cup of tea as I ended up writing a fair bit.

Up until 18 months ago my life was amazing. I was still in my twenties, I had a great job with excellent future prospects, I had a dedicated committed girlfriend, perfect health, no money issues no substance abuse problems and I was enjoying life.

Then one day out of nowhere something happened to me that has since sent me on a downwards spiral of anxiety, guilt and self hatred. I have trying ever since to recover and return myself to myself.

I'm not going to go into what happened, it still haunts me really. An incident occurred at work, I spoke to my managers about it who had no concerns and basically told me to find something else to worry about, thing is I couldn't. For the next six months during every waking moment the incident would play over and over in my head, I kept thinking about all the bad things that could've or could happen as a result. It all seemed very real to me, I worked in law enforcement.

I discussed at length my problems with my girlfriend and family and after loosing interest in pretty much anything life had to offer me and loosing a fair amount of weight I decided to seek professional help.

My doctor started me on anti depressants and suggested I take psychotherapy, which I did, I decided to pay for private care as I was so desperate to get myself 'well' again.

During the next six months the initial incident that started the whole thing slowly started to become less frequent in my mind. Unfortunately a series of smaller issues replaced the void that it left.

These smaller issues would play in my mind constantly until something else would come along and replace it, my fear, created from this initial event is that something I have done or not done will end up causing massive harm to someone and I was the key player that could've prevented it.

So the actual origin of what drives my anxiety and obsessive thoughts started as one thing and then evolved into many things that would replace each other.

After lengthy discussions with my girlfriend and psychiatrist I decided to chuck in the job. My bosses and colleagues were gutted, I didn't tell them the real reason for leaving, just that I wanted a career change. It feels like I gave up a lot but I just couldn't handle the pressure of making a mistake that could lead to someone else getting hurt as a result. Part of me was resentful as I was good at what I did, but was never going to be an environment that would lead me to be able to recover from my fears.

I walked into a much lower paid job but working in a much better environment. A few weeks ago I even felt good enough on the inside to play my musical instrument which I hadn't touched since before the initial event took place. My now wife came through the front door in tears saying that she heard me playing from outside and that this was a sign that I was 'me' again.

A couple of months ago I started to lower the medication dose through the advice of my doctor. The last few days I've come off them completely, to be honest I'm not sure they even helped.

Where am I now? Well things are Ok but that's about it. The job I work in now involves road safety and I still get paranoid that someone is going to steal something from me and use it to hurt someone and I will be at least in part responsible for not taking more care with my data. I have also been involved with training people on new computer systems and I feel that if I make a mistake in my training then the person I trained will do something wrong, again leading to someone getting hurt and me being the catalyst.

The only way I have been able to carry on is the thought that this fear would probably be present in most jobs that I would do, for example if I was a mechanic then I would worry about not checking something correctly which could lead to a pile up. Or if I worked on a checkout I would mistakingly put raw meat with something that could cause food poisoning or something.

I worked hard for 7 years doing my best day in and day out to try and do a good job and keep people safe. This has left me a nervous wreck and being over cautious, obsessive and paranoid, what a great reward for dedicating my previous years to others.

I still don't feel good enough in what I do and although I feel so much better than I did I feel as this is now who I am. I have got to know the stranger who walked into myself and am trying now to live with him.

I am still in therapy but much less frequent now than I was. My therapist has been great, I almost don't want to discuss how bad things still sometimes get because I don't want to let him down.

Other things I've changed in my life is starting yoga to help me meditate, doing more exercise and reading a shed load of books on mental health.

As for everything else in my life? Well financially things are a bit more challenging but it hasn't fundamentally changed the way we live our lives. I got married and had a fantastic anxiety free day and am now planning a family.

I hope I can offer people on this forum my experiences with anti depressants, experience of therapy and how things can change, if not in the way you'd like but in a way that might be slightly better than before - which is progress.

One last thing, I would like to offer my thanks to everyone involved with this forum, it's been a massive help to me over the last 18 months and its only now that I felt like I wanted to share my story as it feels like I might be able to offer help to others in return.

Thank you for your time in reading.

NoPoet
30-10-13, 20:38
Hi mate, welcome to No More Panic and thanks for sharing your story.

It's easy to think no good deed goes unpunished, but look at it this way: you may have found things a struggle, but you came through it. Maybe the anxiety hasn't gone away yet but you have taken a number of positive steps and you are still able to work.

It sounds like you got stuck in the cycle of worry. Once anxiety gets to that level, it cannot just be forgotten. You have things to resolve so that you can break the cycle of worry and move on.

Obsessional thoughts are a problem for me at the moment so I do empathise. Really, obsessional thoughts are just another trick anxiety plays on us. If you're worrying about something, you try to put it out of your mind. This is like chucking a stick when you're walking your dog: the dog is just going to bring it back. The only way to beat this problem is to lose your fear of what the obsessive thoughts represent. Cognitive behavioural therapy is useful for this (exposure therapy) but there are a number of good books on the subject.

It sounds like your anxiety was kicked off by a life event. You don't have to share this here but you will need to discuss this at some point with your therapist as there could be a treasure trove of information that will help you manage the anxiety and eventually get back on track.

Certain types of medication are good with obsessional thoughts but you can also try stuff that might relax you like a drop or two of essential oils on your pillows at night, exercise, etc. You need to train your subconscious to understand that the threats it is fearing no longer exist and you need to bring your body out of its vigilant state. Adrenaline is flooding through your body and you might be stuck in the "flight" response.

OwenF
01-11-13, 01:28
I can relate to the out of nowhere spiral of anxiety.

Moving to a lower paid job terrifies me but tbh I know I need something with less responsibility, better work/life balance and perhaps time to bet well again.

Your story is great and a glint of hope