PDA

View Full Version : has my medication stopped working

I'mdave27
31-10-13, 12:17
Is it possible for 40mg citalopram to stop working after 11 months ? I don't know what to do because I was put on 40mg citalopram after 20mg did nothing for me. So far it's been worki g really well but I've noticed lately I'm becoming grumpy , anxious and having depressing thoughts again which is depressing it self , so not good. I don't want to go back to my doctor because all my family share the same one and recently my dads been diagnosed with depression so he is on the same pills as I am , my whole family is. Please help it's so embarrassing my doctor must think we're all mad

TRISTAN
02-11-13, 21:02
if you dont go back to the doctors they wi;; think everything is going ok , i left mine for a while for same reasons as you but hey thats what they are there for .

NoPoet
02-11-13, 21:18
Hi, they are probably still working. Medication does not cure depression, it masks the symptoms so you get some breathing room to rebuild your life and develop coping strategies. It's possible to go through "blips" where your symptoms temporarily increase in strength regardless of what medication you're on. If this is the first time this has happened to you, you've actually done really well.

Are you in therapy? CBT is known to have a good long-term effect on depression. Depression can also be gradually overcome using positive affirmation (constantly telling yourself hopeful and positive things about yourself and your life) but depression is also linked to low self esteem, low self worth and negative life events. Do you find yourself affected by bad weather, or is something going on in your life? Depression is usually linked to loss or sustained threat but there are a million different potential triggers.

If you cannot find any cause for the depression, it's probably just a "blip".