PDA

View Full Version : Pulsating tinnitus and mri scan

ksmith
31-10-13, 12:34
Have just been told by ENT that I have to have an MRI scan for the pulsating tinnitus in my left ear. Of course, panic setting in and worrying it could be heart problems. Anyone have any experience of this please?

HoneyLove
31-10-13, 13:24
Hi ksmith, I have pulsating tinnitus, and have had it for years. I'm actually going for an MRI & CT scan soon too, but it's for other health problems that the tinnitus is only a part of.

I get both ringing in the ears and pulsating tinnitus, both are very annoying! The pulsating one is usually nothing to worry about, it's often simply you becoming more aware of the sound of the blood vessels that run near your ear. Some people have a natural little loop in one particular vessel that makes it easier to hear, but it's not anything dangerous or worrisome.

For me the pulsating tinnitus is very much connected to muscle tension in my jaw and neck. When my neck is stiff and sore it's not unusual for me to hear the pulsing sound, especially at night or when it is quiet. I have TMJ from clenching my jaw and grinding my teeth, so this causes a lot of muscle tension in my face, neck, shoulders and back. When the TMJ is worse the pulsating sound is always nearby.

If you're stressed and anxious this increases the likelihood of muscle tension and both kinds of tinnitus, so relaxation may be a good way to get rid of it.

They're doing a scan to have a look at your inner ear and make sure that the structure of it is OK, it's a good thing and sounds like they're taking care of you. Try your best not to worry as more anxiety means more muscle tension :) x

Cat80
31-10-13, 15:38
My Mum has been referred for the same thing!

She has the pulsing in just her right ear. She's waiting for her appointment to come through right now. She doesn't seem worried, I'm more worried for her lol

ksmith
31-10-13, 16:04
Thank you Cat and Honeylove. Afraid I've been on Dr. Google again - I know I shouldn't but it's inevitable that I will. So far this afternoon I've had a brain tumour and hardening of the arteries xxx

HoneyLove
31-10-13, 16:07
Lol I did the same thing when it first started for me! Scared the life out of myself.

But that was a long time ago, and I'm still here, no tumour :)

The likelihood of it being a tumour is very rare, if it was you'd have much more sinister problems connected to it and would be very ill.

Stay away from google, it will only tell you worst case scenarios!

When is your scan?

ksmith
31-10-13, 17:07
I reckon it'll be a couple of months or so so lots of time to freak out!

eastofeden
31-10-13, 23:33
What does sound like? When I have headphones in I get this squeaking noise that goes in time with my heartbeat. it's really weird. i think i need an mri too and im only 20 :(

ksmith
01-11-13, 17:22
It's a whooshing sound in time with heartbeat

Laineyloo
01-11-13, 21:52
I have been getting this sound since July. I have mentioned it to the Dr 3 times now and they dont seem that bothered. Said its neck tension, TMJ and anxiety! It seems to be at night when I first lay down/wake up and sometimes when I move my head. Only lasts for a few minutes. I have spent hours googling and have got myself tied up in knots! The problem is I am starting to look out for it now.

ksmith
24-07-14, 12:44
Well, finally got my answer. It's a glomus tumour. The good news it is not cancerous. The bad news is either a lengthy op or gamma knife surgery to try and shrink it.

Dolphin8808
24-07-14, 14:22
I have the pulsating in my left year as well but its not to my heart beat, mine lasts a few seconds then stops and feels like spasms, no rhythm to it.

Glad yours came back ok! How often do you have the pulsating in your ear and does it last long?

RaverNeko
25-07-14, 05:36
I'm so sorry to hear about your glomus tumour, I wish you the best of luck in getting it fixed and taken care of! So good to hear that it's benign though, ^_^

ksmith
25-07-14, 13:09
Yes, the pulsating is 24/7 Dolphin.

Thank you for your good wishes RaverNeko

Dolphin8808
28-07-14, 14:05
That is great news ~ benign but a pain. I do hope they can find resolution for you and soon!