PDA

View Full Version : Chest twinges

Ats666
31-10-13, 16:22
I really need help I'm so scared. I'm sick and tired of being scared. I have had about 3-4 twinges in the centre of my chest over the afternoon I'm so scared in having a heart attack. I went to go yesterday and she listened to my heart etc and said it sounded fine, I had ECG 2 of about 4 weeks ago that we're ok this was after I took myself to a&e I'm so preoccupied with having a heart attack that sometimes I struggle to leave the house and be alone as I'm so scared. I'm having CBT and counselling but am too scared to take meds in case it affects my heart. What can I so? I'm at the end of the line :(

Liviguy
31-10-13, 16:29
Unfortunately there is no magic wand as it is your thought process (as mines and most others on here) to work ourselves into a frenzy over any twinge, which in turn escalates the sensation.

You've had an ECG recently and the Dr listened to your heart yesterday and said it was fine. You just have to keep telling yourself that it is fine, and you have had medical clearance from a qualified Dr.

Ats666
31-10-13, 16:51
I know and I keep trying to tell myself that, but I'm so scared. I'm 35 have 3 beautiful children and I'm so scared that I'm going to leave them. I just don't know what to do anymore!!

Liviguy
31-10-13, 16:54
I'm in the same. I'm 36, two young kids, since they were born I have been a lot worse as I have responsibilities now.

I get angry with the fact I'm wasting my life and spoiling everything by worrying all the time. I wish I could just be the one who worries about something if or when it happens.

Ats666
31-10-13, 17:00
It's awful I'm so envious of people who just get on with their lives and don't worry. I've had this constant worry since September last year, although I've had health anxiety since I was 7 it has never been this debilitating, I'm now exhausted with it. Sorry that you are feeling bad also :hugs:

Fishmanpa
31-10-13, 17:04
Many here know I've had two heart attacks, triple bypass surgery and most recently stents. I was healthy as I could be for a 47 year old when it happened (54 now). No warning... just BAM! It is what it is and IF it's going to happen, there's not much you can do about it!

Your doctor and tests have shown you to be fine. Eat right, don't smoke, get exercise and take care of both you physical and mental self.

You can spend your time worrying about it (what a waste!) or enjoy your life and your children. Read the quote in my signature. Write it down, put it on your fridge, on the mirror in your bathroom. Every time you feel anxious, say it in your head until it passes. It's truth!

Good Luck!

Liviguy
31-10-13, 17:13
Your story and when I hear about others REAL issues makes me feel selfish. Here I am moaning about these issues which I 'probably' don't and may never had, and there are a vast number of people with real problems and would love to be in my position.

Ats666
31-10-13, 17:17
It's just hard, and I know I'm selfish, I'm a nurse and I see people with real illnesses and real problems everyday of my life and I feel so guilty for worrying about something that hasn't and may not happen, thanks for replying it means a lot. Fishmanpa I've read many of your posts as you talk great sense but when your brain is stuck in this way of thinking it is very hard to change it. Thanks again x

Fishmanpa
31-10-13, 17:29
Liviguy,

It's not meant to make you feel selfish and I truly apologize if it does. I'm hoping that by sharing my real life experience it can help you recognize it's anxiety as opposed to something sinister.

That being said, eating healthy, not smoking and regular exercise goes a long way in keeping you from being a statistic.

Work on that HA. Check out some of the success stories and methods to get a grip on it.

Positive thoughts and prayers

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

It's just hard, and I know I'm selfish, I'm a nurse and I see people with real illnesses and real problems everyday of my life and I feel so guilty for worrying about something that hasn't and may not happen, thanks for replying it means a lot. Fishmanpa I've read many of your posts as you talk great sense but when your brain is stuck in this way of thinking it is very hard to change it. Thanks again x

Hey Ats,

I may not suffer from HA but I've been stuck in some pretty dark places, especially during my cancer treatment. There was a period from about 4 weeks into treatment until about a month afterwards where it was like a slow death. One of the cliche' remarks about treatment is: "They almost kill you to get you better". I can tell you that the treatment for head and neck (oral) cancer is one of the most brutal treatments there is next to bone cancer treatment (you probably know that being a nurse). So I do have a perception of what you're experiencing and I know it's hard to get your mind out of that kind of a rut. It takes a real concerted effort. In many ways, fighting HA is no different than fighting cancer. It's a disease like any other and it's crippling. You have to fight it (with professional help and drugs if necessary) with all you have. They don't call us "Warriors" for nothing! ;)

Positive thoughts and prayers