PDA

View Full Version : Any advice about my toe please?

almamatters
01-11-13, 14:22
Hi does anyone know what an ingrowing toe nail looks like, my big toe left foot has been hurting for a while, it look fairly normal but really hurts when I press the nail. I know I should go to a chiropodist but I have a fear of anyone (apart from myself) cutting my toe nails and I am worried they might want to do this. Thank you. x

bernie1977
01-11-13, 14:44
They can look noticeable or not at all. I had one on my big toe nail. I didn't know what was wrong as I couldn't see anything, but then again I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

The outside of my big toe was very sore especially if I pressed against it, it was also a little red down the side. I went to the doctors as I'd left it for ages and it was starting to hurt a lot in certain types of footwear. He referred me for it removing. I was terrified but it was ok. The injected into my toe and sliced about a quarter of my nail off. A few months later I had to have my other big toe done. This was about five years ago and they've been fine sine, touch wood!!

Alma we have so many health conditions in common it's weird!

almamatters
01-11-13, 15:01
Thank you for replying Bernie , it is weird how many ailments we share! My toe nail does sound the same as yours though , slightly red down one side and sore. I will have to eventually have to go to the doctors I know and just hope they don't try and cut the nail :ohmy:. It is more annoying than painful today but it does hurt more when I have boots on.
Hope all ok with you Bernie :) x

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

I meant try and cut the nail at the surgery, I know it would have to be cut eventually but I will be ok if it is numbed first.

bernie1977
01-11-13, 15:07
It will get worse though Alma if it's in growing. Honestly I felt nothing when they took the side of mine off. You powered through the endoscopy which I could never do as I couldn't think of anything worse! Having the toenail removed is absolutely nothing compared to that fear factor wise.

almamatters
01-11-13, 15:15
Thanks, you are right Bernie I know, but I just hate my toe nails being clipped or anything it makes me physically sick. I will remember the endoscopy though, it's my inspiration to remind myself I can be brave occasionally. xx

bernie1977
01-11-13, 15:18
Anybody who has an endoscopy deserves the Victoria Cross :D

Edie
01-11-13, 19:56
It does sound like an ingrowing toenail. I've had these quite a lot. I was given cream to deal with the infection, but never had to have anything else done. The doctor advised me to cut my toenails straight across, instead of curved, and this has stopped it happening.

anxious_thoughts
01-11-13, 20:06
It may be an ingrown toenail, or maybe it could be from your shoes. Sometimes when your feet slide to the front of your shoe when you walk it can bruise your big toes toe nail, it sometimes happens to me.

Take care x

Tessar
01-11-13, 22:11
Hey alma, I get this problem & from my experience, it's better to let a professional deal with it. It's really hard cutting your own toenails well as it is. But if you have ones that may grown rund or just grow funny, it's even harder to look after them. Til I saw a chiropodist, I had bad corns. I don't have corns anymore. I didn't want someone messing with my painful corns but am I glad I did! I didn't expect them to disappear so fast. Amazing how things can be dealt with effectively.
So, if I were you, I'd let someone skilled have a look.
I don't like my toes being messed with and yes sometimes the work she does on my big toenail isn't very nice but it's much, much more comfortable since I have been seeing her. I have also learned by watching her & asking advice so I can also cut my nails more effectively now.
I used to go about every 4-6 weeks but now can go 3-4 months as I am better at looking after my nails.
Oh yes, the other thing I learned (the hard way as ,y skin slit and was v,painful) to always moisturise my feet and especially my heels.

clio51
01-11-13, 22:30
Alma

Sounds like it to me too

I had one big toe nail, it got that bad pain wise even if I knocked it the pain aghhh. It also got infected antibiotics were needed,then I had to have it spliced not pleasant but very necessary.
Maybe you could get it sorted now at this stage before it gets worse.

almamatters
04-11-13, 21:53
Thank you Edie, Jenn, Tessar and Clio, I am going to make a GP's appointment for later this week as it has been particularly painful today.
I started to think it could be a chilblain or something but after reading your descriptions it definitely sounds like an ingrowing toe nail. Thanks again xx

almamatters
15-11-13, 14:39
I wanted to update my thread as I finally made it to the doctors , I do have an ingrowing toe nail and am waiting for hospital appointment to have it removed next week, I also have a mild infection around the area (would explain the pain I have been experiencing) due to my fear of taking antibiotics, I have been given an ointment instead to help. I am glad I am through the first hurdle and thanks to all that replied to me. x

Fishmanpa
15-11-13, 18:49
About time you got that thing fixed! ;) Feel better soon!

Positive thoughts

Tessar
15-11-13, 19:22
Good4u alma..... Well done for going. At least u will get this sorted now.

almamatters
17-11-13, 09:11
Thanks Fishmanpa and Tessar. :)

hanshan
17-11-13, 10:24
The infection around the area is probably paronychia - typically a painful area alongside the nail.

First-line treatment at home is two or three soaks a day in a warm-to-hot foot-bath for ten minutes with a bactericidal soap or similar product.

That's the on-line recommendation. Okay, now the hard stuff, from me. I douse a q-tip in household bleach and dab it on a couple of times a day. Yes, it works for me, but this is in no way a recommendation for treatment for anyone else.

almamatters
17-11-13, 10:34
Thanks so much Hanshan, the foot baths sound like good advice, I did think of trying salt in the water ? The bleach idea makes sense but I don't think I am brave enough to try it. :)