PDA

View Full Version : Mental Health on Contract

jackie13
01-11-13, 16:40
Hi Guys

Any advice would be appreciated:)

My friends Son suffered quite a serious episode earlier in the year, he is 19. He was almost sectioned and has been making a slow recovery.

He got himself a job at the local coffee shop in Milton Keynes and was delighted that they wanted to give him a permenant contract. He received his contract which was only part time hours (he was told it would be full time), he questioned his boss who went onto tell him it was because of his Mental Illness that he had been truthful about on his app form, he has never had time of sick. The same boss also sacked one of the young girls last week as he put it "she was too fat"!!

Just wondered if this young man has any rights in this case?

Luv & hugs
Jackie x

Rennie1989
01-11-13, 16:56
Being rejected a full time contract because you suffer from a mental illness is disability discrimination. I wouldn't take my word for it but I am pretty sure the employer can be sued for that. I would speak to Citizens Advice Bureau and discuss the situation with them, but I know, for a fact, that he is guilty of discrimination.

I was doing some reading and found these:
http://www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/mental-health-laws/discrimination/pre-employment-questions (is about what an employer can ask before a job is given)
http://www.rethink.org/living-with-mental-illness/mental-health-laws/discrimination/taking-action (how to take action against being discriminated, but there is a time limit)

munkeyinblack
01-11-13, 19:22
It is discrimination but he has no way of proving it if the full time offer wasn't in writing so I'm not too sure where he would go from here

Edie
01-11-13, 19:52
Oh dear :mad:

This is illegal, but sadly your friend would have an impossible task proving it as his boss will simply deny saying it. Unless other people were present who would be willing to act as witnesses. If he takes legal action he might get sacked, and have difficulty getting a reference for a new job in the future.

It doesn't sound like a great environment to work in with a boss like that. His best bet may be to start looking for something else.

Col
01-11-13, 22:27
I won't swear - :curse:

Cit advice for help & agree with Eddie.

jackie13
02-11-13, 08:08
Hi Guys

Thanks so much for all your feedback! I will speak to him and update you.

Luv & hugs

Jackie xx