PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Fluoxetine

Sskittleslol
02-11-13, 01:48
Hi im new to this website so i don't really know where to start. I've had depression for years and years and ive been given so many different types of drugs but never really given them a chance. About 4 or 5 weeks ago i was prescribed fluoxetine. I haven't felt any different to how i was before i just feel worse. I cry every night. I cant sleep at night and im sleepy during the day. I've started getting headaches on top of all that. I decided to do some research and got a bit scared when i found out that what im taking is prozac. I'm worried that im not going to get better. Ive been wanting to talk to some one who's gone through the same thing as me for so long and im hoping some one on here can put my worries to rest. I stopped taking the medicine at first because i was scared that it would chance who i am. I am taking it now but my doctor has upped my medication to 40mg a day. Can someone please put my mind at rest??

Andria24
02-11-13, 02:37
Hey there :)

I'm on flux too (Prozac) and I'm now in week 4. Initially I got quite bad headaches, and awful insomnia, and felt more jittery than I already was. Now, the headaches are less, the insomnia has started to settle (though tonight is a bad example!) and the jitters have almost gone.

I was prescribed 20mg and it felt too much, so I started taking one every other say. In effect I have 10mg per day. I feel better on that.

This is not to say it's a wonder drug. I haven't bothered with finding out too much about it. One of my sons did and it freaked him out. I told him that if I could manage not to get hung up on it then so could he - after all I'm taking it, not him.

I know one thing though - doctors seem to up the dose when you tell them it's leaving you feeling whacky. I didn't speak with mine, I spoke to a locum. I filled them in, explaining how it was making me feel, and yet her answer was to inform me I needed one a day, not every other. How did she know that? I'm not a generic person, I know for certain I'm receptive to drugs as a rule and that I felt better with 10mg.

All the above aside it may not be the right one for you. I know we're all different, so maybe go back to your doctor and discuss your options?