PDA

View Full Version : What if....

Tinker28
02-11-13, 12:30
What if your worse nightmare comes true?

Annie0904
02-11-13, 12:31
What if it doesn't? :)

dizzydaisy
02-11-13, 12:32
Well what ever it is you have either to just give up or dust yourself off and deal with it the best way you can.

Annie0904
02-11-13, 12:34
Most of us find strength and coping strategies from somewhere. We deal with things as they happen.

SarahH
02-11-13, 12:37
OoooooH That's a bit deep for a Saturday lunchtime:ohmy:......But I agree with Annie:)

Tinker28
02-11-13, 12:49
What if your diatnosed with ALS?

Annie0904
02-11-13, 12:52
I had a friend who had this and she dealt with it day by day. Just like any other major illness we learn coping strategies. No use worrying about it before and wondering what will happen. We need to live our lives day by day instead of worrying about what ifs of the future as those what ifs might never happen.

HoneyLove
02-11-13, 12:54
You just learn to deal with it, everyone does. Human beings have amazing coping and adapting abilities. Just as you've adapted to every problem you've ever had, you'll learn to adapt to any new ones that come along even though they may be scary at first.

But in saying that, you can't spend too much of your time on What Ifs. It's a waste of what precious time you have here. There's a lovely poem from Mary Oliver that I think fits here today :)

The Summer Day
~ by Mary Oliver

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don’t know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn’t everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

Annie0904
02-11-13, 12:56
Lovely poem Honeylove :)

Tinker28
02-11-13, 13:04
I'm not diagnose of ALS, but I'm afraid I could be for I have a twitch thumb and weakness in my right hand, I'm trying to put it down to to much use of my fingers though. I play pull tabs all the time and I used to be a server for 6 years and developed a sore wrist. Trying to be rational but I stupidly googled! I said I will regret this but..... I hate google to no end.

HoneyLove
02-11-13, 13:07
Lovely poem Honeylove :)

I love that one Annie, Mary Oliver is a great writer and she's good to read if you need some cheering up or to inspire your sense of wonder about the world :) She has a lovely way of looking at life.

Annie0904
02-11-13, 13:11
This does not sound like the start of ALS to me at all. Google always comes up with worst case scenarios.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

I love that one Annie, Mary Oliver is a great writer and she's good to read if you need some cheering up or to inspire your sense of wonder about the world :) She has a lovely way of looking at life.

Thank you, I love poetry.

Tinker28
02-11-13, 13:22
Yeah if I had it I would have way more symptoms and thumb twitching is a common anxiety symptom. My thumb has twitched so much that now I have weakness in my thumb. And I don't want to move it much cause of the fear of twitching again it comes and goes on and off all day. right after I looked at a ALS site my thumb did a huge twitch along with my hand going blotchy red within seconds and it went hot and red on the skin around my knuckles and even my palms when I get stressed I've noticed I get blochy red hot patches on my hands neck and face. Maybe the twitch is anxiety like I keep reading about. It's not constant all day just every once in a while but is lasting for days cause I'm worrying about it. Awwwwwww! I'm so tied and scared! I hate all of this.

Annie0904
02-11-13, 13:25
Anxiety is such an awful thing and can have so many symptoms. You say the more stressed you are the more it twitches so I think you have really identified yourself that it is anxiety related and nothing more serious.

Tinker28
02-11-13, 13:29
No I take no vitamins at all. Maybe that's my problem as well on my other hand my left hand my hand constantly tingles all the time.

HoneyLove
02-11-13, 13:33
Sounds like muscle tension and overstimulated nerves from anxiety really, especially if you notice it when you get stressed. Can also be something that happens if you drink too much caffeine.

Have you been working on the underlying anxiety like taking CBT classes or daily relaxation methods?

Tinker28
02-11-13, 13:38
No I haven't and I am going to relax more!

HoneyLove
02-11-13, 13:41
It sounds like you need it. A daily relaxation practice, like meditation, is proven to relax your nervous system.

Tinker28
02-11-13, 13:46
Does anyone else feel weak when there stressed to?

Fishmanpa
02-11-13, 13:49
What if your worst nightmare came true?

Well what ever it is you have either to just give up or dust yourself off and deal with it the best way you can.

Exactly. Those are the two choices you have. The other aspect is spending you life worrying about that and that's the crux of anxiety, more so HA. If you address the root of the problem, then, IF something catastrophic happens in your life you're better prepared to handle it.

As one that has faced several "worst nightmares" I can tell you that you'll deal with it whatever it is. Most importantly, I'm here to write about it and it's made me a stronger person that appreciates life and lives it to the best of my ability.

Good Luck!

HoneyLove
02-11-13, 13:49
I absolutely do. There were days when I felt I could collapse with how exhausted and weak I felt, but I never did. I get lots of muscle tension and resulting tingling and numbness in my arms and fingers especially. Bad posture doesn't help.

Sometimes I was so exhausted from stress I felt like I could barely breathe, but I always got through it.

If you look around on the boards you'll find people saying the same things.

This website does a good job of explaining why it happens: http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/symptoms/muscle-weakness

Annie0904
02-11-13, 14:08
I am just the same as Honeylove described, exhausted and weak beyond belief!

livethelife
02-11-13, 15:00
Hi Tinker
i have (and I'm sure others on here too) worried about ALS - it is a terrible disease to worry about. i have had myself so convinced that i had it in the past - felt like i had every symptom - I went to my doctor and told her flat out that that is what I thought I had. She asked me some questions etc and did some neuro testing in the obvious and she was able to say with complete confidence that i did not have it. and she was right because that was about 5 years ago now. I would reccomend that you see you family doc and tell her straight out that you are concerned about ALS.

so now I'm onto other things like bone cancer and waiting for blood tests to come back. if feel like if i get thru this one without actually having anything wrong it will be a miracle :(