PDA

View Full Version : Why can't i do it?

Tense
02-11-13, 15:18
Ok, so I've got Erythromycin antibiotics in liquid form (same as what the kiddies have). When I picked them up I spoke to the pharmacist who explained to me that it was unlikely I would suffer any side effects and even more unlikely that I would suffer an allergic reaction. When I walked out of the pharmacy I felt great but now, 3 hours later I am scared to take it in case it makes me ill. I'm scared of feeling dizzy, feeling spaced out or having an allergic reaction. Please help! :weep:

AuntieMoosie
02-11-13, 15:24
I know it's hard hun, but try and trust your doctor and the pharmacist :)

It's very rare to have a severe allergic reaction to anything really, most that have a reaction, will have mild symptoms like a rash, itching and maybe an upset tummy.

I'm sure that you'll be just fine hun. If it's the stuff they normally give to children I would guess that it would be pretty mild, so that would make it even more unlikely for you to react against :) :hugs:

Andria24
02-11-13, 16:06
Tense ... I'm allergic to erythromycin and this is what it does to me: I puke and vomit like I ate rotten food. It's horrible, truly. But the reaction is brought on by intravenous introduction of the drug. However taking tablets will also do that, only they take longer.

So saying that you're going to be fine, take them. It's highly unlikely anything horrible will happen. I'm not sure anything can to be honest. And you've been given them for a reason. Go eat something and get one down your neck. Let them do the job they were prescribed for, and finish the course.

Remember you're already anxious, and remind yourself that you're focusing on things that haven't actually happened. You'll be fine :)

Annie0904
02-11-13, 16:09
I would rather take the antibiotics than feel ill from whatever it was they have been given for.

Tense
02-11-13, 16:15
Tooth Infection :( I've had it for a week already. The pharmacist said i'll be ok and it's VERY rare for someone to be allergic, as it's the second most common antibiotic.

Andria24
02-11-13, 16:18
Tooth infection? Get on with taking them.

I discovered I was allergic when I was 20, and it was bad because they'd dripped me up. You will be ok.

Tense
02-11-13, 16:21
Yeah, I think when they do it through a drip it's at a much higher dose than what it would be any other way. It's a short course (5 days). I'll having a spoonful after tea.

Andria24
02-11-13, 16:23
It's not so much a higher dose as it's straight into the system. It's the speed that it starts to work. Anyway, good stuff, kill that tooth infection off :)

jillyb
02-11-13, 16:39
Please take it. I know it's difficult but you are going to really suffer with that tooth infection if you don't! Think how many people in the world take it without reacting .... Millions and millions! When you are ok with it you can put it on your 'safe list' for another occasion, should you need it. Make sure you eat something so that it doesn't upset your tummy. Love from a complete medical/medication phobic! X (so much easier to give advice to others than ourselves!)

Tense
02-11-13, 16:42
That is so true Jillyb - I can give advice but I am NOT good at taking it. I just get convinced that i'm going to be an unlucky one. I've not had antibiotics since I was a small child and this is worrying me. It feels like it'll be a shock to the system and therefore It wont agree with me.

yenool
02-11-13, 16:59
I get anxious about taking new medications too - always worry about an allergic reaction despite the fact I've never reacted to anything in my life!

The way I get around it is by breaking off the smallest piece of a pill I can get away with and then taking that to see if anything happens. After a few hours I know I am 'safe' to take the rest of it...... if the anxiety is really bad then I take a tiny bit a few days running and build up the amount slowly.

In reality this method probably has no scientific logic at all but it gets me over my fear.

The only other option is to literally open the packet and swallow the pill NOW. Do not think about it, just swallow it. Thinking about it just increases the anxiety.

Tense
02-11-13, 21:33
Tried to take some (I had the bottle and spoon in my hand) but I backed out. All I kept thinking was I am definitely going to have an allergic reaction to it. I know that about 1-5 people from every 10,000 people will have a serious allergic reaction to an antibiotic and may partner says that is less than 1%, however, I am convinced I will be that minority. Because I was feeling so anxious, I then started feel a bit dizzy and had trouble swallowing (which just so happen to be symptoms of anaphylactic shock). I'm frustrated with myself and if I was looking from the outside in i'd think I was a bloody idiot!

Fishmanpa
02-11-13, 21:56
Tense,

You NEED to be taking the antibiotic. You're risking a more severe issue if the infection gets worse. C'mon now. buck up and do it! You're taking one of the most commonly used antibiotics there is. Would you hesitate to give it to your child if he/she were sick and the doctor prescribed it? You're allowing your anxiety to put you at greater risk and that's not a good thing!

Positive thoughts and prayers

SarahH
02-11-13, 21:59
Anaphylactic shock and allergic reaction are VERY different.......................and so is anxiety. Your dizzyness and difficulty swallowing are "anxiety". Anaphylaxis is instant.
Allergic reaction is a bit slower as in starts after a few minutes and then builds.

1) Have you ever had an allergic reaction to a drug before?
2) Is the tooth pain mild enough to overcome or do you want to possibly loose a tooth due to infection?

I DID once have a "serious allergic" reaction to the drug Venlafaxine...but I had time to be driven to hospital to get the medical treatment I needed (20mins from a major A&E). And ambulances will get to you quicker.

If you can last ....leave it till the morning to take.

Andria24
02-11-13, 22:42
Tense I've already told you that I'm one of those rare folks that are allergic to erythromycin, and what the reaction is. Whilst unpleasant it's not deadly. My brother is allergic to penicillin, and he is the same, though he did convulse because his temperature went incredibly high.

You are not allergic to erythromycin. Therefore there is nothing other than your anxious self preventing you from taking it.

Start the course. You really don't want to go where I did five years ago with an out of control tooth infection and a butcher of a dentist. That would give you something to freak out about, trust me.

Tense
05-11-13, 14:53
Getting closer! I put my finger in it twice and put it in my mouth! That's progress right.

Beth28
05-11-13, 15:38
In case that you do have a runny tummy. Take a biotic drink to line your stomach. Something like actimel or yakult. It helps.