PDA

View Full Version : Must be in control....

phoenix
03-11-06, 17:04
Ok...
Ive been 'dealing' with a phobia of being ill for a few years now. Being an analytical type ive traced my fears back to incidents of food poisoning - but more than that, while the idea of being sick, or having dihorrea absolutlely terrifies me, i think its the lack of control that is my real fear.
Approx 5 years ago I got a virus 'Labyrinthitis' which affects the inner ear, making me dizzy as a duck on a roundabout! most people who get this, get it for a week, and it returns every few years for another week or so, with symptoms akin to seasickness and extreme dizziness. Unfortunately for me, im one of the 'lucky' few who get it constantly... its got better gradually (im not lying on the floor hanging on anymore) but its always there in the background and severely limits what i am able to do. Basically the illness controls what i can do and when. This lack of control over my health has, i think, aggravated my problems with food and sickness.
I check dates on food religiously, and when i forget, panic ensues.
Today i was having a tin of soup (washed the pan first - dont trust that I washed it properly or well enough yesterday, worry that the water isnt hot enough to kill any bugs, or that the washing up brush isnt clean), washed the TIN (yep thats how weird I am) still wasnt satisfactory, so instead of using the ring pull, used a tin opener on the (washed) base of the can. halfway thru heating the soup, realised that the tin opener may have contacted the soup itself, and thus any germs on the tin opener were now in the soup. so there was no way i was eating that.
big argument with dad who doesnt understand why i have these problems and why I cant see how silly im being, when to me, never mind the odds of getting ill, the fear is so very real.
the fear of being ill has extended now so that I have to wash my hands well with antibacterial soap before ill eat anything, and crockery and cutlery also have to be washed before use.
does anyone have any ideas of how i can deal with this???
I had CBT over two years ago, and while i think at the time it helped, my problems now are worse than they ever were, and making lists of how anxious i feel at regular intervals after eating seems completely pointless to me, as i work on a 24 freak out anyway - if i dont have any symptoms of food poisoning within 24 hours then im ok -
Also im terrified of coming into contact with anyone who has been ill / been near anyone who has been ill with sickness and or diahorrea.
Im going to go back to the doctor got ask for more help, though they dont seem to realise that for a person with these fears, going to the drs, or the hospital for appointments is completely TERRIFYING!!!!
please help if you can !!!
Sorry ive gone on for so long
xxx[:I]

Antipodes
05-11-06, 06:30
Hi Phoenix,

I'm sorry to hear about your Labyrinthitis. It must be awful.

You are describing behaviours that may be seen by some as Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) rather than a pure anxiety or phobia about bacteria which I'm sure you intellectually know, heat destroys.

It's great that you had CBT (me too) but you didn't mention anything about medications to allay your anxiety. Are you taking anything for this anxiety? I have read meds lila Aropax are useful for OCD. Perhaps you should go see your GP and be a little assertive (fir your own sake) and ask what he/she thinks and whether you should have a referral to a psychiatrist (nothing wrong with that - I hope you don't have a stigma about psychiatrists).

I hope things get better for you.

Antipodes

phoenix
06-11-06, 12:56
hey antipodes

Ive been prescribed fluoxitine... tho im still not 100% sure i want to be taking it, as last time psychiatrist told me it was better if i got used to doing without them.
whereabouts in nz do you live? my brother lived in christchurch for a year.

xx

peabodyfreak
06-11-06, 13:24
Hi there, I have to be real quick as I'm at work and about to go into a meeting but check out my post here that describes how I also suffer with your phobia (Newbie in the house! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14352)) and read the replies for some tips I have used.

I'll come back here a little later and reply propoerly :)

*HUGS*

Antipodes
06-11-06, 20:13
Hi Phoenix,

I have that handle at another site - small world (hehe). I live in Auckland. Christchurch is a beautiful city and a good place to live. I bet your brother enjoyed his time there :- )

I think of Fluoxetine (Prozac) as a first med to try (it seems that way) and if no benefit they may move to Citalopram and if no benefit they move to newer, more expensive meds. I found those two a waste of my time but many do get a real benefit - we are all so different.

I'm a PTSD-er but I have some OCD traits and for this reason I was on Aropax for 3 years. My psychologist said it was quite useful for many. But as I say, I'm a PTSD-er and I could "see" the anxiety in your post and wanted to contribute.

It's great you are seeing a psychiatrist. The best tip I can give you is for you to be informed, involved and if necessary - assertive and pushy so you get effective treatment.

I wish you speedy releif from your disorder.

Sincerely,

Antipodes