PDA

View Full Version : Not just all in my head.... and thank you!

Florance
03-11-13, 18:17
Hi all,

It's been a while since I have been here. I have continued to badger the drs and finally have a break through. After months of being told its all in my head, it turns out I was right all along when I kept insisting it wasn't. Having never been an anxious person before recent times, I knew there was something wrong with me physically. So after a week of being gluten free I am like my old self almost. No more anxiety, or panic, or depression and my stomach is almost back to normal too. Drs can be a little too fast sometimes to write people off and insist its in their heads. Granted I became health anxious and thought I had all sorts including cancer. Now I have a valid reason for why I was feeling so bad and in so much pain I can get my life back on track. Health anxiety is crippling. But so are drs who don't look past it to see if there is a root cause, either psychologically, emotionally or physically. Also would like to say thanks for all the support I had from the people here. You helped me through a really rough time. I will continue to use this forum to help others if I can.

HoneyLove
03-11-13, 18:33
Florance I'm so glad for you that you got a diagnosis and are feeling better :)

I too have experience of doctors telling me that stuff was in my head when in fact I had a real health problem. But, it didn't help that I also had a clear problem with anxiety on top of everything (which makes my health worse).

Sometimes it can be hard for our doctors to piece things together, especially when anxiety is such a big part of it. But we are the ones who know our body best. I often know when my anxiety is fuelled by a health problem, or if it's fuelled by my own thought patterns, and it's good to try and determine the difference.

Figuring out what triggers anxiety, or what triggered the original anxious episode can often be key to understanding what's going wrong. My anxiety was triggered by 6 weeks of dizziness and imbalance problems, whereas some people clearly have an emotional trigger rather than a physical or health related one.

It's all interesting to look at, and can be key in our recovery as you're discovering :)