PDA

View Full Version : It's just not getting any better ....

GBFast
03-11-13, 23:10
I first joined this site in August and posted the following thread:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140406

What seemed like the main trigger for my anxiety and then depression, too, has almost certainly been resolved as just a scare (I had further negative tests at 16 and 21 weeks) and now believe in the results.

However, it is as if the damage and trauma have been done.

After 10 weeks on Citalopram (the first 2 @ 20mg, then 8 @ 40mg) with no positive effect, I was switched to venlafaxine (75mg) almost three weeks ago, and also advised to use some diazepam for the switch-over.

I find that my depression and morbid/suicidal thoughts are as bad as ever. One particularly troubling thing is that, when I see people who I know and love, saying goodbye to them scares me that I'll never see them again. I also don't trust myself being on my own.

This may seem like a stupid question (I hope it makes sense), but do anti-depressants in general and venlafaxine in particular work just as well if there are actual identified causes for anxiety/depression (eg. health scare, redundancy, lost relationship, etc) compared to if there is "simply" a spontaneous chemical imbalance for no apparent reason?

I am also seeing a psychologist twice a week, and have access to help numbers if I need them, but how long should I persevere with venlafaxine before judging that it's simply not going to do anything for me?

Annie0904
04-11-13, 11:26
I haven't taken venlafaxine but I am pleased that you are seeing a psychologist and hope they will be able to help you. :hugs:

Daisy Sue
04-11-13, 12:32
My hunch is that if there is a specific reason behind someone feeling anxious or depressed, then just taking tablets isn't going to solve it all.. the meds will probably help put you in a better and safer place mentally and enable you to cope, but I always think talking is the best therapy for fears, worries, and bad experiences, so hopefully the fact that you've got both the meds and the psychology appointments going on, this will help heal you completely in time.

Pipkin
04-11-13, 18:45
Hi Gavin,

I'll post a bit more when I've got more time but I'm on venlafaxine and it's worked really well for me. It took ages to take full effect though - about a month to see a change and about 3 months for the full effect. I had to take beta blockers to help with the early symptoms. For me, it takes away the anxiety and just keeps me much calmer, regardless of whether my anxiety is general or specific.

I guess everyone's different so there's no guarantee it'll work for you but I'd give it a while longer yet.

Feel free to PM me if it would help.

Pip x

GBFast
04-11-13, 20:06
Thanks for the encouragement, Pip. I'll expand via a PM.

Cheers,
Gavin.