PDA

View Full Version : Yoga!!

Broken-doll
04-11-13, 11:09
Has anyone tried yoga? And has it been helpful? I really do need to do some type of exercise to boost my fitness levels but at the moment the thought of going to the gym or doing anything too high impact really is too daunting as when I exercise excessively and my heart rate speeds up it can trigger a panic attack, ridiculous I know, but I'm sure many of you will know where I'm coming from.
I thought yoga might be a good place to start and I've heard it can be quite helpful for anxiety sufferers.
Any success stories would be most appreciated. :)

Annie0904
04-11-13, 11:16
I haven't tried Yoga but it is supposed to be very good for anxiety. I have tried Pilates and would recommend it.

Greg17
04-11-13, 11:19
I can't recommend it enough. There are many types of yoga, but the one that works best for me is Hatha Yoga. It is not overly dynamic, and puts a focus on the meditative side of the experience. I started about a year ago as an absolute beginner, try not to be daunted by that. Finding a good teacher is important too, for example, my teacher doesn't worry too much about if the poses are perfect, but rather that you feel good.

I can honestly say that yoga is some of the nicest times I have with my anxieties settled :)

reenymac
04-11-13, 11:28
Hey Brokendoll
yeah I do yoga......the reason it works is because of it's mindfulness of breathing and how you stand in postures, the balancing poses are especially good for anxiety, because you have to clear your mind to be able to do them and concentrate fully on balancing, if you have a million thoughts going through your head you wont be able to concentrate to do them, I qualified as a yoga teacher so if you want to know anything ask away

Reeny

jayjoe18
04-11-13, 12:42
Haven't tried it but it's suppost to be good for anxiety, I think pilates is too? It's worth a try :)

Steve37
04-11-13, 13:29
Has anyone tried yoga? And has it been helpful? I really do need to do some type of exercise to boost my fitness levels but at the moment the thought of going to the gym or doing anything too high impact really is too daunting as when I exercise excessively and my heart rate speeds up it can trigger a panic attack, ridiculous I know, but I'm sure many of you will know where I'm coming from.
I thought yoga might be a good place to start and I've heard it can be quite helpful for anxiety sufferers.
Any success stories would be most appreciated. :)

I do Pilates, which is great! I've been doing it over 2 years now:yesyes:

Broken-doll
04-11-13, 18:23
Thanks for all the positive feedback, I shall have a crack at it.... That's if my arch enemy "mr anxiety" allows me to lol x

theharvestmouse
04-11-13, 18:26
I do yoga and I'd recommend it, there are times when I have come out of my yoga session feeling I can do anything, it does wonders for anxiety in my opinion.

almamatters
04-11-13, 18:40
I used to do yoga, but I will be honest I did not have the patience to do the breathing techniques , which I suppose defeats the point of yoga! , the exercises themselves are great though and are good for relaxing your muscles.

Rennie1989
08-11-13, 10:13
I used to do yoga as it helped tone the core muscles in my body which helped with my back pain. It also helped with my breathing. Unfortunately work, writing and moving (previous excuse was wedding planning) I never really find the time to do it, though I'd love to get a regular routine back again.