PDA

View Full Version : Trying to take the first pill!

jayjoe18
04-11-13, 13:11
I'm sat here with my first lot of anti-ds trying to take the first pill and I'm petrified! I was meant to take them this morning but I'm really struggling to actually do it. I knew this would happen! I'm shaking, feel sick, scared... argggghh!!!!

I have also had a bit of a cold this week which is still present so I'm worrying that this is going to make things worse? Will it? I know I'm making excuses but it's making me worried. It's not really bad, just a bit of a runny nose and sore throat..

Also, I was supposed to take them in the morning, will it be a problem taking them at this time (dinner, that's if I pluck up the courage!)

HELP!

SarahH
04-11-13, 13:57
Take it!!!!!!

What is it?

Why are you worried?

jayjoe18
04-11-13, 14:06
Hi Sarah, it's Cipralex and I'm worried about side effects but also taking the pill as I've never been able to swallow them for some reason, think I freak myself out. I hate overthinking!

Sparkle1984
04-11-13, 14:10
I first started on 10mg citalopram which is equivalent to 5mg Cipralex, and to be honest I barely even felt it go down my throat! I wash it down with several gulps of water. I usually have problems swallowing pills but these ones are so tiny I've never had a problem.

cymraig_chris
04-11-13, 14:19
Millions of people take cit.

SarahH
04-11-13, 14:29
If you are worried about the side effects why dont you cut the pill in half and take a smaller dose for a week?

This pill will not kill you!!! I took it myself for many years and I have very bad side effects from meds....Citalopram is supposed to have very little SE's.

debs71
04-11-13, 14:38
jayjoe....you must have had these pills a while now, as you posted about starting them some time ago, is that right??

Please take the pill. Your anxiety is not going anywhere without them. I won't go over covered ground as I think I have already posted a couple of times about Cipralex to you.

Is it right you are starting on 5mg? You can't get a smaller dose than that, so cutting in half would be ludicrous and not beneficial at all. 5mg is the recommended start dose anyway.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives.x

jayjoe18
04-11-13, 14:39
I first started on 10mg citalopram which is equivalent to 5mg Cipralex, and to be honest I barely even felt it go down my throat! I wash it down with several gulps of water. I usually have problems swallowing pills but these ones are so tiny I've never had a problem.

Thanks Sparkle, I was really happy when I opened them up to see how tiny they are, this will definitely make it easier just need to get this first one out of the way!

If you are worried about the side effects why dont you cut the pill in half and take a smaller dose for a week?

This pill will not kill you!!! I took it myself for many years and I have very bad side effects from meds....Citalopram is supposed to have very little SE's.

I've got 5mg and they are tiny so not sure if I could cut them in half, I've read that Cipralex/Escitalopram has less side effects than most others, it's just hard to convince yourself isn't it? Stupid anxiety :wacko:

Tufty
04-11-13, 14:40
I'm sat here with my first lot of anti-ds trying to take the first pill and I'm petrified! I was meant to take them this morning but I'm really struggling to actually do it. I knew this would happen! I'm shaking, feel sick, scared... argggghh!!!!

I have also had a bit of a cold this week which is still present so I'm worrying that this is going to make things worse? Will it? I know I'm making excuses but it's making me worried. It's not really bad, just a bit of a runny nose and sore throat..

HELP!

'I knew this would happen' is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy, I believe most of us dread taking the tablets at first, fearful of them making us worse, having an 'allergic' reaction or feel that it's the start of us loosing control. It's normal to feel worried about taking meds, don't beat yourself up about it. One way to rationalise why your taking them is to write down what's brought you to this point, what made you get the prescription? I'm sure like most of us you've battled for sometime before making the difficult decision to take meds. Write down how you feel now, before taking the tablet, to quantify your anxiety level so you can look back when you've taken one and see that your anxiety is sky high anyway - what is the worst that can happen? I've never heard of anyone having anaphylactic reactions to SSRI's and taking meds is often the first step to recovery - it is a positive step.

The Cipralex will not be affected by the cold and vice versa. If it's a mild head cold there is no reason to not take it. However it is a heavy cold and you aren't sleeping because of a blocked nose or sore throat or unwell with a temperature it may be a good idea to delay taking new meds until you feel better simply because you may blame the meds for making you feel unwell when it is nothing to do with them and stop taking the tablets.

Also, I was supposed to take them in the morning, will it be a problem taking them at this time (dinner, that's if I pluck up the courage!)

They are best taken in the first half of the day, to minimise any impact on your sleep but I always took SSRI's at night without any problem. The most important thing is that you take them :)

Be brave, swallow one and then get busy and do something for an hour or two. You'll be fine

jayjoe18
04-11-13, 14:41
jayjoe....you must have had these pills a while now, as you posted about starting them some time ago, is that right??

Please take the pill. Your anxiety is not going anywhere without them. I won't go over covered ground as I think I have already posted a couple of times about Cipralex to you.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives.x

Hi Debs, yeah I just posted in my other thread over in the medication sub forum, only had them a couple of days as couldn't get the prescription x

debs71
04-11-13, 14:49
Oh, I see.

Please don't worry, and just go for it.

Starting meds is never easy, especially with anxiety. It is not like starting pills for a chest infection or other physical problem as you just figure 'well I'm ill, so thank God for the pills that will make me better' and just take them, but because we are mentally unwell with anxiety, the anxiety makes as anxious about the thing that will help it!!!

It is normal to feel like that, but at the same time irrational as the meds are there to help, not harm us.

Yes, there are side effects. Are they gonna be there forever? NO!!!!!

The initial effects are just a hurdle to jump, that's all, and not always as awful as we think either, but it is very subjective.

Many of us know how you feel, have been there ourselves, and have coped with it.

You can too hun.x

jayjoe18
04-11-13, 15:53
I did it......

That was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, I don't know what to do with myself now, feel like I'm waiting for the side effects.

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

Oh, I see.

Please don't worry, and just go for it.

Starting meds is never easy, especially with anxiety. It is not like starting pills for a chest infection or other physical problem as you just figure 'well I'm ill, so thank God for the pills that will make me better' and just take them, but because we are mentally unwell with anxiety, the anxiety makes as anxious about the thing that will help it!!!

It is normal to feel like that, but at the same time irrational as the meds are there to help, not harm us.

Yes, there are side effects. Are they gonna be there forever? NO!!!!!

The initial effects are just a hurdle to jump, that's all, and not always as awful as we think either, but it is very subjective.

Many of us know how you feel, have been there ourselves, and have coped with it.

You can too hun.x

Thank you debs and I apologise for so many posts about this topic, you have really helped me x

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

'I knew this would happen' is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy, I believe most of us dread taking the tablets at first, fearful of them making us worse, having an 'allergic' reaction or feel that it's the start of us loosing control. It's normal to feel worried about taking meds, don't beat yourself up about it. One way to rationalise why your taking them is to write down what's brought you to this point, what made you get the prescription? I'm sure like most of us you've battled for sometime before making the difficult decision to take meds. Write down how you feel now, before taking the tablet, to quantify your anxiety level so you can look back when you've taken one and see that your anxiety is sky high anyway - what is the worst that can happen? I've never heard of anyone having anaphylactic reactions to SSRI's and taking meds is often the first step to recovery - it is a positive step.

The Cipralex will not be affected by the cold and vice versa. If it's a mild head cold there is no reason to not take it. However it is a heavy cold and you aren't sleeping because of a blocked nose or sore throat or unwell with a temperature it may be a good idea to delay taking new meds until you feel better simply because you may blame the meds for making you feel unwell when it is nothing to do with them and stop taking the tablets.

They are best taken in the first half of the day, to minimise any impact on your sleep but I always took SSRI's at night without any problem. The most important thing is that you take them :)

Be brave, swallow one and then get busy and do something for an hour or two. You'll be fine

Sorry Tufty I didn't see this before, what great advice thank you. Funnily enough I actually got out my old diaries/appointment letters etc from CBT that I've still been using (4 years ago) and read through, thought about how long this has been going on and like you said why I'm here today with this prescription and there and then just swallowed the pill. How strange. It worked. Now just don't know how to deal with the rest of the day..

Thank you very much for this :hugs:

debs71
04-11-13, 16:10
No need to apologise, jayjoe.

Everyone here would know how you feel (or at least the majority)

Well done for taking the first step. Try not to think 'ok, I'm waiting for the side effects to come now'.....try instead to think 'ok, now I am on the way to feeling better'....replace the negative with a positive!

Oh and the keeping busy thing as well.xxx:hugs: