PDA

View Full Version : Update on my recovery (and me giving my unasked for opinion to you all)

katesa
04-11-13, 16:56
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. I have popped in to say hello and give a bit of an update and thoughts on my journey towards recovery. Maybe they may help someone? Not sure, but I'll try.

I have had 3 rounds of psychotherapy and oh my God, I can not recommend it enough people. If you are able to afford it, it is a blessing for those like me trying to get to the bottom of their issues.

I have identified some key steps below that, for me at least, are crucial in this long road to recovery.

1) Finding out what our issue is. I know, this seems a no-brainer, right? We have health anxiety. Simple! But I've realised that for many, like me, it's a bit more complicated than that. Through just three sessions of psychotherapy, I have discovered that I actually have some deep seated self esteem and guilt issues which make me believe that I don't deserve the wonderful life I have now, and that the only way that karma can be rebalanced is if I get some awful illness and die tragically young. For other people it may be a fear of death due to not having done all they want, or maybe a fear of being out of control for deep seated psychological reasons. Whatever it is, Health Anxiety is different for everyone. We are not just a label but very much individual and have to fight our individual issues to fully recover.

2) Learning to trust our doctors. And forcing ourselves to follow through - We need to stop thinking we know more than doctors and pushing and pushing for every test going. It doesn't help. Find a doctor that you like and who, in your moments when you are not having an episode, you trust. Say to them "I have health anxiety. While I don't want to rule out tests that are medically necessary, please dont refer me for tests just to put my mind at ease. Refer me when you think you need to". I did that with my doctor and it was hard initially. I was convinced that some arm/shoulder/back pain was lung cancer and once wept in her office when she said she didn't think I needed even a chest x-ray. But I made myself follow her advice, not my anxiety. And now, even though the pain is still there, I am not obsessing about lung cancer. OK, I have my moments - I'm not fully recovered yet! - but I am so glad I had that conversation with her as it has broken the cycle, even if I had moments where I wanted to get back in it.

3) Perspective and common sense - My aforementioned arm pain was put down to shoulder and bicep tendonitis. I initially discarded that as out of hand because hey, that's usually caused by a sports injury and I didn't have one of those! It didn't fit the normal symptoms and I didn't fit the normal profile for someone with that! And yet, I had no problem believing that I had lung cancer - despite not fitting the normal symptoms and profile for that either, as well as it being much much rarer. I see that a lot on this board. The harmless, simple diagnosis dismissed because it doesn't quite fit every single symptom, but the most sinister and rare disease being seen as likely despite it not matching symptoms/being much more rare/sometimes a book full of negative test results. I mean really, what is most likely? An unusual (as in, not textbook Dr Google) presentation of a common illness or an unusual (as in, missed by a real doctor) presentation of a rare and deadly illness?

I also did the math once and realised that statistically, it is approximately 2000 times more likely that I will die in a car crash this year than get lung cancer at my age. But I don't write my last will and testament every time I take a trip to Sainsburys for milk because, well, that would be silly.

We also have to look at our past fears. If you've had that exact same chest pain many times over the last year, it's not a heart attack. If your glands have been swollen since you can remember and you've had no other symptoms, they are probably not swollen.

4) We have to make ourselves change - battling health anxiety is not always easy. I've had wobbles already. It's taken me right out of my comfort zone and the lack of reassurance is sometimes scary. But guys, it's worth it. With every day, I feel more like the real me. I still have the pain that crippled me with terror 2 months ago but I'm functioning again. I'm enjoying life - and I'm not even fully recovered yet!

As hard as it is, you have to force yourself to reassure yourself, to trust your doctors and to look outside of your fears to the world around you.

I stopped smoking because I was scared of lung cancer. I lost weight and now do yoga because I'm scared of other diseases. And each of these changes, made from fear initially, have decreased my anxiety.

We have to seek out the ways to get better, whether that's meds, CBT, psychotherapy or trying lifestyle changes. And all of them come at some kind of short term cost whether it's financial, mental or effort. But the rewards are immense if we can get past that.

5) Accepting that life is finite, no matter what we do - A common assumption about health anxiety is that we all overestimate the fragility of life. On the contrary, I think we underestimate just how fragile life is and how little time we get on this Earth. We think that we'll enjoy life more once our current health worry has gone. We think that if we rush to the doctor and demand more and more tests, we are protecting our lives. In the meantime, with every day, we get closer to death. Another day focusing on ones own health and worries is another day gone. I've decided that if my time is up tomorrow, next week or next month, I don't want the last memories my husband and son have of me to be of the self obsessed hypochondriac. I want their memories to be of the lively, loving and kind wife and mother that I am underneath. Sure, this has meant doing some Oscar-worthy acting and it's not always easy. But you know what? The more I act like I'm fine, the more I believe that I am.

The sad fact is, people do get awful diseases and it is heart breaking. But they cope. If you get one, you will find that you do too. But chances are, you don't right now. Don't risk looking back on this time kicking yourself for wasting your years of health.

And having done preaching, all the best and warmest wishes for you all. I'll let you all know when I'm even further on my road to recovery.

Fishmanpa
04-11-13, 17:21
Hi Katesa,

What an awesome post! There have been a couple posts recently that are inspirational, uplifting and encouraging to all who suffer from HA and anxiety in general. This is truly what "paying it forward" is about.

To you and all that are taking the steps to battle this beast I applaud you!

May others have their eyes opened!

Positive thoughts and prayers!

Andria24
04-11-13, 17:24
Kate you think as I do re HA. Brilliant post - articulate, honest and undeniably on-point.

Well done on the first stages of your recovery, and all the best for your continued success :hugs:

SarahH
04-11-13, 17:28
Lovely post....I hope lots of others read it:)

cpe1978
04-11-13, 18:58
Hi Kate,

So glad you posted this, I got back from holiday yesterday and have been meaning to drop you a line to find out how it went. Your journey maps mine so closely, in fact I am just on my way out to a CBT session. I have spent the past hour sitting at my computer writing down my nightmare scenario, how it feels, what the emotions are, what other people would be feeling etc.

The theory behind this is similar to what you say. We all know death is inevitable. We also know it is far less likely to be as imminent as most on here believe (including myself at times), but there are things that we can control and be more comfortable with and this is what I am going to spend an hour (and £60!!!) going through tonight.

I would add to your post that you must celebrate the small victories. HA sufferers are the greatest all or nothing thinkers and when you look at things in those terms recovery is impossible. Anxiety about health is normal, obsessive health anxiety certainly isn't. I believe the path between the two is paved with bumps and open manhole covers but you need to celebrate every successful step.

Well done - I was sending you positive vibes last week!

HoneyLove
04-11-13, 18:59
Katesa this is such a great post :)

You've come from horrible HA to a full understanding of your anxiety and the things you need to do to get better. Well done! You can see in your words that you're feeling empowered with everything you've learned and put into practice. Plus it sounds like the therapy is doing you a lot of good, understanding ourselves is a wonderful thing and I believe that every single person would benefit from good counselling.

What you've said here is key for every other person on this board suffering with HA, it will definitely be helpful.

Keep going, and keep us updated as you go! Xx :hugs:

katesa
04-11-13, 19:40
Thanks so much everyone. It was worth having to start it again from scratch after accidentally closing it without saving (yes I'm an idiot) to get that kind of reaction.

CP - I'll e-mail you tomorrow, want to hear all about the holiday.

Honeylove and Andria you are both super smart so coming from you both, that means a lot.

Fishmanpa, as ever, I am totally fangirling you right now.

Sarah, apart from having a brilliant avatar, you are such a sweetheart. Thank you.

Dex
04-11-13, 19:53
Brilliant, inspiring and possibly the best HA post I've read from a sufferer. Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share it with us.

katesa
04-11-13, 20:15
Aww thanks so much Dex!

I've tweaked a little bit just to add some things that I missed when I lost my first draft. Thanks ever so much everyone x

Ats666
04-11-13, 20:15
Great post and it all makes sense. Thanks for posting x

MRS STRESS ED
04-11-13, 20:37
would just like to thankyou so much for posting this it is so inspiring and I wish you well with your recovery :hugs:

katesa
04-11-13, 21:37
Thank you ATS666 and MRS STRESS it really means a lot. :hugs: