PDA

View Full Version : With a little help from my friends

scrumking
04-11-13, 18:12
Ok guys I need some big time help.

I have recently had a setback due to a bout of bronchitis and all my worries have re appeared I even googled something I am proud to say I went over a month without doing.

So here is my question most of my fear likes many of us is my heart 3 months ago I had an ekg and a 24 hour holter that came back normal but in my intense googling I read over and over again how these tests just record the electrical activity of my heart and not my overall heart health and since I am an overweight smoker (working on both issues) I am terrified at the age of 31 I am going to suddenly drop dead of a heart attack or stroke or that I am going to suddenly stop breathing. My question is are the tests I have had sufficient or are they lacking the ability to really tell if my heart is ok

Andria24
04-11-13, 18:23
Scrum ... I think what's happened is that you know your current lifestyle is unhealthy (overweight, smoker) and that's what's undone you. Instead of looking on Google for the likelihood of imminent death, focus your research positive ways to support your quest to achieve a healthier lifestyle.

I've had the heart stuff done a few years ago, though not due to anxiety issues - I did have something that was picked up and required monitoring. I believed the doctors. I trusted them. I don't suppose that between me and Google I can second guess and, indeed, better diagnose myself than they can.

Stop smoking. Alter your diet. Introduce some exercise. Don't fool yourself by saying you're working on it - just get it done. I stopped, cold turkey, because I knew I needed to. So I stopped. And no, it wasn't easy, but I did it.

Come on, you know what you need to do ... And here's a big old hug to help you get started :hugs:

Fishmanpa
04-11-13, 18:55
At 31, NOW is the time to take action. There are no easy buttons to push, special diets or exercises to get you there any quicker. The bottom line is you need to start working on YOU! Take it from someone who was in a similar boat at your age. I made the changes and while I had still had it in my cards to have heart issues, getting in shape and quitting smoking are a couple of the reasons I'm still here to talk about it.

The ball in in your court Scrumking... are you gonna hit a home run or strike out?

scrumking
04-11-13, 19:38
Guys I understand the importance of diet and quitting smoking I have lost 57 pounds since March and have gone from a pack a day to 5 or less I know it needs to be zero and I hope to be there before years end.

I was simply asking if the tests I have had are sufficient in determining heart health

Fishmanpa
04-11-13, 19:44
Guys I understand the importance of diet and quitting smoking I have lost 57 pounds since March and have gone from a pack a day to 5 or less I know it needs to be zero and I hope to be there before years end.

I was simply asking if the tests I have had are sufficient in determining heart health

You didn't think you would get off that easy did you? ;)

And yes, for now, those tests are sufficient. Other heart health tests like a stress test or echo aren't really necessary unless you're showing signs of cardio vascular disease. I had that done at the age of 39 as I was a high risk (family history, lifestyle, smoker, overweight, ate horribly etc.) and it showed issues.