PDA

View Full Version : How much gas is normal?

Orange Lightning
04-11-13, 20:15
The only way to ask this question is to be as forward and blunt as possible... During my time battling reflux symptoms, I've been belching an awful lot. Today however things were a little different. I still belched quite a lot, but a lot less than usual because I was... farting instead. I seem to belch as soon as I eat or drink anything, but I also belch as soon as I sit up, exercise, sit down, and even on a totally empty stomach first thing in the morning. Reflux meds, lifestyle changes and diet mods don't help at all, it always happens regardless.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Whether you have or not can anyone suggest how much belching is usually normal for someone more anxious than others? I tend to swallow my burps back down as I'm scared they may have acid and damage my throat; am I simply building up more gas by doing this? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Andria24
04-11-13, 20:24
Orange I don't suffer reflux so can't offer comfort there however I do suffer IBS and let's just say that there are days when the wind build up is sufficient to float me down the river and out to sea.

The bloating is horrible, not to mention all stretchy and painful, and the farting can be orchestral ...

TMI :roflmao:

Joking aside, I don't know about acid damage or whether you're helping wind to build up but my advice is to try and discreetly set it free whenever you can. My ex mother-in-law has reflux, pretty bad, but she has this lady like way of kinda turning her head to one side, slightly looking down and doing a controlled belch into the back of her hand.

She's never denied the discomfort aspect but she's always managed it well. Hope you're feeling a bit better the now :)

Fishmanpa
04-11-13, 20:41
the farting can be orchestral ... TMI :roflmao:

~LOL~ OMG that was funny! They don't call it the Woodwind section for nothing!

It's very hard to say what is normal concerning gas from either end but typically we produce about a liter of gaseous release per day. My gf would argue that fact as I believe I produce more than a liter ;)

I feel it's good to let any trapped air out.... discreetly when necessary but frankly it's painful to hold it in!