PDA

View Full Version : I'm better, but he isn't

harasgenster
05-11-13, 12:55
Shoving this in Misc because I don't know where to put it.

Basically, the situation is this. After 14 years of mental ill health I am now better (wahey!). But my boyfriend - who I have been with for nearly 4 years - is not. He suffers from depression rather than anxiety but I feel that he does not put any effort into making it better. He is emotionally flat and he doesn't show much affection. We also don't go out together and he doesn't do any exercise at all, although I keep gently encouraging him to take a walk with me because it would do him good.

I think it's part of his illness, but he also tends to put himself first. I think it's because he feels he can't cope with things. We have recently argued because he was avoiding visiting his dying father. I understand why he's upset about seeing him, and I understand why he might feel like he wants to avoid it, and I made sure he knew that understood. But I feel like he ought to be putting his father first and going to see him despite how he feels. That's not just for his father, it's because he'll really regret it if he doesn't spend quality time with him before the end.

This putting his own feelings first goes on in our relationship as well, and I do understand that it's connected to the depression. He has admitted that he finds it very difficult to care about how my day has been, or if I'm upset that someone has been rude or unfair to me. But despite this I know he cares.

The thing is, I dream of having a boyfriend that will come out with me, that will take my hand as we go on walks through the countryside (one of my favourite things), that will come and have fun with me (as a result of his depression, my boyfriend never really has fun) instead of moaning that he's tired or that the people around us are too loud, or that his feet hurt, or whatever else it is!

But he has hundreds of positive points and I believe that all this stuff is to do with his depression. He isn't just putting me off, he's putting his friends off and his family, all of which don't really want to spend time with him as much as they normally would because they know his negative attitude will make it harder for them to have fun. I keep thinking of leaving, but he's my best friend, I care very much about him, and I would worry about him so much because he would be isolated without me.

We've had a talk recently and he has changed his behaviour, but we've been through this before. After a week or so he just slips back to where he was, and despite my encouragement (I'm trying not to push him too hard) he won't seek treatment.

I just wonder what you would do, I suppose: If you were in a situation where you knew you would never be able to have the relationship you feel you want, but if you were to split up with your partner you'd miss him terribly and worry about him constantly, what would you do? I just feel stuck, really.

Edie
05-11-13, 16:21
I'm sorry, this is difficult. I was in a similar position with my ex-husband. He had very severe depression, and developed alcoholism, and unfortunately wasn't a very nice drunk. I found it really difficult when he would ask how my day had been, because if I said anything at all negative he would always get angry with me because his day had been worse, his day had always been worse than mine and I wasn't ever allowed to talk about my needs.

In the end, I did leave. I begged and begged him to seek treatment, but he kept saying he doesn't deserve it, etc. I tried to persuade him that maybe I deserved for him to get better, but it never helped. Sometimes it would for a day or so, but never for long. Eventually I realised he really wasn't going to seek help, that he would get worse and worse, and that I really couldn't cope with that. I gave him one last ultimatum, but he refused to seek help, so I really just had to leave at that point.

Leaving was difficult and painful, and I had concerns that he may attempt suicide. But he didn't. Unfrotunately things turned nasty during the breakup and I had to cut all ties with him, so I have no idea how he is doing now. But what I do know is that I am doing better, so as least one of us is happy, whereas we were both miserable before.

Sometimes I think it's easy to go too softly-softly. It doesn't seem to be working for you. Do you think maybe the time has come for an ultimatum? Bearing in mind you might not get the response you hope for.

It's sad, but sometimes love is not enough, and talking doesn't resolve situations.

I really hope your relationship doesn't turn out like mine, and that you can get your boyfriend to accept treatment. But if it does all go wrong, bear in mind that you will get through it, even though it will inevitably be painful at first.

harasgenster
06-11-13, 13:40
Thank you very much for your reply.

Fortunately, my situation isn't as bad as yours was, but I've spent a while thinking about it and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that I should break it off. I'm more firmly realising that it isn't just the best thing for me, it's the best thing for him. Who wants to be going out with someone who isn't completely certain they're with the right person? He deserves better than that.

The problem now is going to be 1) facing up to the pain of it all, 2) not going back on my decision when I see him upset, 3) finding the right time to do it (we're going on a weekend away next week with some friends, so not yet...), 4) working out what we'll do with the flat. We're in a fixed term tenancy agreement so we can't move until March. If one of us leaves, the other has to pay the full rent, and neither of us can afford that. So the only possibility would be for one of us to stay and get a lodger, but that'll be hard because we won't get one immediately and neither of us can afford to pay even one month's rent on our own. We live close to his parents, so I suppose there's the option of him moving back home while I look for a lodger for our place, but with his father so ill I just feel selfish for asking that his parents take him back right now, especially when he's going to be so upset. I'm not sure what to do about it at all, it's such a difficult situation, both emotionally and practically. A friend has offered me a sublet of her room when she goes away for a month, but even if I move out I have to pay rent here (unless a lodger is found immediately) and I can't afford to pay two rents!

My parents live in another county, otherwise I'd move back in with them, not that I'd be able to fit any of my stuff in either of their houses anymore because I haven't lived with either of them for nearly 10 years...

EDIT:
And the moment I say that, I suddenly start feeling like, no. No, it's not going to happen. I can't cope with it. Gah!

Edie
06-11-13, 17:04
It's never easy. I hope you can find a way forward that works for you - the practical and the emotional.