PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety

Kla77
05-11-13, 15:38
Hi all! I'm new here! I'm hoping to find somebody to talk with that could possibly understand. I have been dealing with major health anxiety for almost 10 years! I will have a lot of good months but it never goes away completely! Right now I'm obsessing about headaches. I have had them my whole life. Well now I'm convinced I have a brain tumor. I have two brain ct scans. Last on was less then a year ago. All clear! My thing is how do I stop this cycle? It's always something! I go to therapy and take lexapro. I do great for a long time then ONE thought gets stuck! I now am unable to sleep or even think straight! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

skippy66
05-11-13, 17:00
Wean yourself off Google
Get more distractions in your life
Stop looking for reassurance
Start trusting your doctor
Accept that life is short and finite
Accept that there is risk in everything we do
Expose yourself to difficult situations, broaden your horizons, become more social
Look after your body - good diet and exercise

Good luck

Andria24
05-11-13, 17:01
I think it sounds as though you've never fully conquered your HA. In your place I would revisit the doctors and have a good look at alternative ways and means of finally conquering the anxiety beast.

You're possibly a person that requires a different type of therapy, or you need to combine it with counselling. Bottom line ... You are OK! And you know you are, it's just the illness (HA) that's causing the fear and intrusive thoughts.

And welcome to NMP. You really aren't alone :hugs: